LegacyGT.com

Portable GPS Help

Abandonhope16

I was thinking of getting my fiance a GPS for her b-day (not for another 4 months). She has a horrible sense of direction and easily gets lost if she is somewhere that is unfamiliar. I've done some searching on here, as well as some web research. I'd probably be OK spending in the 250-300 range. There are some features that are more important than others. Namely, text-to-speech, integrated traffic receiver, easy to use, auto re-route, good number of POIs, and bluetooth. From my research, I think I can satisfy all the criteria with the Garmin Streetpilot 550, which I can currently get for $300. I primarily looked at garmin b/c they are consistly well reviewed. But I would consider other options. I was originally thinking something along the nuvi line b/c it could probably fit in the cubby; but I dont want to have to re-route the antenna. So what are your thoughts and opinions? Is it likely that the $300 for the streetpilot is a current sale b/c of x-mas or is it likely that I would get that price a couple months from now? And does anyone know how much the subscription is for the FM traffic functionality; I think its $60/year.

TIA!!

Ditto on traffic alerts. It will work fine in the NoVa area but from my experience in NYC, LA, Seattle, no worth the money. Also with all the road construction in the DC area you want a GPS that can be updated. Personally I have all Garmin units.

I got Garmin C330 for about 2 years or so...overall pretty good/accurate when it's working. Reception can be bad around highrise building, maybe an external antennea may help. The battery is toast and not covered anymore of course. Before I could use it for about 3-4 hours without using the cigarette plug, now I can't. Thinking about it...I might sell it...anyone wanna make an offer??..haha ;).

has a feature to keep a log of time traveled, stopped time, top speed, etc...just like recuomo's avatar :)

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Seems that updates are provided by registering the product, but maybe BD or someone else will chime in to say for sure. Thanks for all the input!

I think you can update maps/info from Garmin's website...but I don't think just 'any navi' can use the info/maps...it's got specific maps for specific Navi's..

Free updates are only good for a few years:rolleyes:....then they make you buy their updates:spin:

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Guest heightsgtltd

One big thing on the horizon is dead reckoning for portable units. This is huge, and was one of the last things that an OEM system had over portable units.

It's made by sirf, who makes most of the receivers and is called sirfdirect. The new TomTom 920 has this, and others will be following suit.

It allows the NAV to still figure out where you are when it loses reception (e.g., in tunnels or in urban areas with tall buildings)

I am actually waiting to upgrade my current NAV until Garmin releases their models with this feature

On traffic updates....I wouldn't personally put too much emphasis on them. I bought a high end garmin Nuvi 680 and was very disappointed with the traffic. I'm based in kansas City which is covered but never found them to be accurate enough to count on.

The Navigon 5100 seems to be a good deal at $200. But I believe it comes with a 2005 Map and the update for 2008 map comes in Jan, which I dont know how much that will be. The Garmins seem to come with more up to date maps, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the links.

I picked up the Magellan M4040 from Radio Crack last week for $299 (for my '97 Suburban not my Leggy :))

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2730446&cp=&sr=1&origkw=magellan&kw=magellan&parentPage=search

So far, it's phenomenal. I'm very, very impressed. It has all the features you require. Text-to-speech is excellent. Bluetooth phone works flawlessly (screw you Subaru for not including it in my Shrek :mad:). You can get the TrafficKit if you so desire. It's so easy to use, I never looked at the manual and went to various places from NYC to Danbury the first day I had it. It's sweet!

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived