LegacyGT.com

Power Steering going?

Hi there, I have a '05 GT manual with 87k miles. I think the power steering is going on it. Anyone have that problem and can explain what it feels like? At speeds on the highway it handles well but at slow speeds it is almost impossible. Any other ideas besides power steering? How hard is it to fix that?

I would answer these questions, hopefully it will help figure out where the problem might be. In general, if your power steering pump wasn't working you would find it easier to move the steering wheel as your speed increases vs while you are slow moving.

Do you hear any whining/squeeling noises coming from the pump/ engine bay when you turn your steering wheel?

Inspect your accessory belt which drives your power steering pump for excessive wear

- If your belt isn't biting it won't drive your power steering pump.

Inspect the power steering fluid reservoir to ensure it's full.

Inspect the power steering fluid hoses for signs of moisture.

- Signs of moisture around the hoses would indicate there is a leak which would cause low fluid levels or introducing air into the system.

I am having some symptoms that might help the OP. Just after starting my car, if I turn the steering wheel, while still parked, I get a gritty, gear feeling feedback in the steering wheel.

As soon as I start to drive, it smoothes out. I did a complete fluid flush a few days ago following the great guide found on this site. I was very hopeful that would solve my problem.

Yesterday, after starting the car, I quickly turned the steering wheel while backing out of a parking spot and I got two short loud belt squeals.

I took the drive belt off while flushing the fluid and it looked to be in good shape with no visible cracking.

I'm stumped. Hope this aids the OP and isn't a thread hijack.

Thanks for the help. The reservoir has proper fluid, ill check the rest once I get a chance. The car is hard to steer at sub 5mph speeds but also had issues when exiting highway and going through the large loop.

Thanks monkey I now know that probably won't fix my issues.

SO did you check the condition of your drive belt?

- Are there cracks in the ribs?

- Is there excess slack in the belt and the tensioner might need to be tightened? (You will need to consult the repair manual on this step)

Did you check the condition of the power steering lines?

- Is there moisture on the lines? (would be evidence of air getting into the system and causing problems.

If all check out okay, try to flush fluid.

If flushing fluid doesn't work, I would suspect you have a failing PS pump.

If you have any difficulties with doing the above, I'd recommend you take it to a shop and see if hey can help figure out the problem.

I dropped it off this morning at the repair shop on base they called me a bit ago and Said that the belt was bad and are replacing that. Only about 100$ so not to bad hopefully that fixes the problem. I'll let u guys know, thanks for the advice.

You know the belt is about $15-20.00

If you plan to keep this car for a while. You may want to learn how to use the Auto Hobby Shop and start doing preventitive maintenance. Once you learn these are fairly easy to work on.

Hang around here, we can teach you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was actually thinking about this the other day myself. I have always had a bit of a squeak when first starting up with cold belts so I didn't think much of it. I have noticed lately my dry steering is absolutely horrible when I had to get out of a tight parking spot in my parking garage. I did just peek at the reservoir and it is full, but didn't inspect too far. I'm also not sure which belt is the PS belt specifically, but I did a full check on all the belts that I could touch and didn't feel anything special. I always do my own work, but with a second kid now time is at such a premium.. I hope to get to a full timing belt job as soon as it gets warm.. that or pay someone to do it for the first time in my life :)

Funny how I came across the thread about this. My car certainly has no problems steering after I get to a couple MPH so it doesn't sound as severe as the OP. I did also jump up tire size to 18's.. but kept the same width of tread so I don't see why the tires would be harder to steer at a dead/slow speed.

Oooh, one thing to add/ask for people here. I was told back in the day that I can use the auto-tranny fluid as power steering fluid.. seeing as I have extra.. would this work/mix with whatever I have? I could certainly take a few minutes, suck out what fluid is in the top of the reservoir, and fill it back up every few days just before I leave the parking lot at work.. yeah I know it's not a flush, but I'm sure it would help?

You know the belt is about $15-20.00

If you plan to keep this car for a while. You may want to learn how to use the Auto Hobby Shop and start doing preventitive maintenance. Once you learn these are fairly easy to work on.

Hang around here, we can teach you.

He is right. I've been a tech for about a decade at Toyota and Subarus in general are the easiest cars you were will work on and I work on the second easiest make lol. Definitely learn from the forums and save lots and lots of money

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oooh, one thing to add/ask for people here. I was told back in the day that I can use the auto-tranny fluid as power steering fluid.. seeing as I have extra.. would this work/mix with whatever I have? I could certainly take a few minutes, suck out what fluid is in the top of the reservoir, and fill it back up every few days just before I leave the parking lot at work.. yeah I know it's not a flush, but I'm sure it would help?

Spend the few bucks and put the correct fluid in it. your much better off doing that. It's much cheaper than screwing something up the cost over $100 to replace.

Think about it...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Spend the few bucks and put the correct fluid in it. your much better off doing that. It's much cheaper than screwing something up the cost over $100 to replace.

Think about it...

The owners manual calls for ATF fluid and the official Subaru ATF bottle also says ATF / Power Steering Fluid.

I know for sure you don't want to mix fluids. Instead of topping of the reservoir ever day, why not do a flush? It's really easy and you get all of the old fluid out.

The owners manual calls for ATF fluid and the official Subaru ATF bottle also says ATF / Power Steering Fluid.

I know for sure you don't want to mix fluids. Instead of topping of the reservoir ever day, why not do a flush? It's really easy and you get all of the old fluid out.

Oh yea, read the manual... good point.

When my rack was leaking my mechanic gave me a open bottle of Valvoline PS fluid with stop leak in it. It didn't work really will, but over the 6 month's or so I did use that much of it. He replaced the rack back in June.

Think about it...

I did think about it.. which is why I was asking. I did some more searching around, and apparently I AM supposed to be using the ATF fluid actually.. which is great since I have a couple bottles left from a tranny flush :)

I inspected the belts a bit more and found a few little chips.. I'm just going to put a new belt on and see what happens. Missed the autoparts store closing a few minutes ago on the way home from the mall.. bummer!

Archived