LegacyGT.com

What is the right way of replacing the fuel pump relay?

I have the kick panel off below the steering column, the ECU unbolted and still cannot see a green plug. I cannot fit under there to even reach to feel for it. If i did find it I would still need to get the clip off. Ya right. I just do not want to take it to a shop to have this simple thing done. How would a Subaru dealership do it or a shop? The right way. Without struggle. Help.

I don't know. But I can send you a link to upload the Subaru Factory Service Manual for our generation. I looked through it last night, but I couldn't find out how to test it. You mention a green plug under the kick panel, to me that sounds like the running CEL connector to find CEL codes while the car is running.

link: http://toobigforemail.com/slavedriver.toobig?onmpbk49qtn2ks4ro_j=88y8fygxxxyx8gg

Don't know if that link will work for you or not. I just tested it out and it worked for me. Just click on 'download file.' It's a great resource.

Awesome Monkey! The link works for the service manual and downloads just fine. I'm going to get it printed out maybe at Kinko's or somewhere. 902 pages worth.

I am familiar with the 2 green plugs that give you the codes for when the CEL (check engine light) on the dash is on. I used your advice on that awhile back and found out that I had a cracked knock sensor. Got a new one from Subaru for something like $100 and voila, no more CEL. It ran awesome after. Just anyone for future reference a tech told me to torque the knock sensor down to 11 ft. lbs. F.Y.I.

Well got off subject a bit, but I am going to give it another shot today on trying to get my hand up in the dash to find this elusive fuel pump relay. I will update on the outcome.

Good luck! I love the FSM, it has saved my ass many times already. I read for fun, lol. I'll try and find you a link for the parts catalog as well. Makes ordering parts a lot easier.

I printed out about 200 pages or so at Kinkos at it was $43!!!

Well, after being a contortionist under the dash a few days ago, I found out today the fuel pump relay was working properly. Before going any farther to get at the relay I checked all the fuses in both boxes and all were fine. Then plugged in the green code checking plugs under the dash to see if I could get a code from the check engine light, but nothing. I did find out that when they are plugged in it intermittent charges the fuel pump therefore I could hear the relay working the way it should.

So I changed my focus to the fuel pump and opened up the access plate to hear if it was running while key was turned to on and green plugs plugged in. I heard nothing from the pump but it would come on for a few seconds when I would hit the mounting plate it was attached to. The pump was shot.

Picked up just the pump at Napa and it came with new strainer and a bunch of adapters I did not use. It was $92 and dropped it in and it fired right off. That's it and thank god for this forum.:)

If you need to get under the dash in the future, it takes like two minutes to pull a front seat, and things are much easier after that.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived