LegacyGT.com

Bad AC compressor clutch?

Just got into the Wife's 05GT this afternoon and there was no cold air to be found. Didn't seem like the compressor was coming on.

Did a bit of reading here but still not sure. Compressor clutch is not turning when AC is on full manual and set to 65 degrees. Does not ever cycle.

Just wondering if I can get away with replacing only the clutch and if there are parts available just for that or if a compressor has to be purchased just for the clutch parts.

Thanks

Check the A/C relay in the underhood fuse box. My A/C suddenly stopped working and it was a bad relay not sending power to compressor coil. Swap out one of your fan relays and see if your compressor turns on. Just make sure you put the fan relay back so your car doesn't overheat. The dealer will tax about $39 for a new relay. I got one from Autozone for about $7.00. The guy there matched it up to another relay that had the same power output and configuration. If you have a test light check for power at the coil plug on the vehicle harness before you swap out relays b/c if your coil is shorting it will fry your fan relay and any other relay you try.

^ i don't think much is getting in .. even if the system is completely empty it still has the same pressure as atmosphere. so a tiny pin hole wont let a lot of air into the system.

fyi with the new refrigerant it only needs 1 can to fill the system.

from what i was told new refrigerant is mostly propane!

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived