LegacyGT.com

whats the most info you can tell me about this.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
exhaust gas recirculation. it's for recycling the fumes from the crankcase and valve covers that are released during normal use. the hoses capture it and send it back into the intake for complete combustion. it has nothing to do with power or performance, and everything to do with emissions. some people just remove the hoses and put breather filters on to clean up the air if their egr system has issues.

it has nothing to do with power or performance,

wrong. it takes away power and increases mpg. why do you think most high hp performance parts dont use egr systems. performance intakes, heads, manifolds, ect dont even have the pieces to hook up an egr system like the hoses and brackets.

Wrong again. I have an 86 mustang with 411 HP with a trick flow track heat I take and twisted wedge heads, and it's emissions legal with cats and and EGR valve. Full race parts don't use EGR because there's no emissions laws on race tracks yet. But there will be one day. My boy has a Shelby super snake with 725 stock HP, guess what.... He's got and EGR valve.

why do you think most high hp performance parts dont use egr systems.

i didnt say all. most big hp car parts also require or stongly suggest disconnect the a/c components too, but i have a friend with an IS300 with just under 900hp. 825hp w/ac running (:lol: i still cant believe he forgot to turn the a/c off when they dynoed it the first time)

Wrong again. I have an 86 mustang with 411 HP with a trick flow track heat I take and twisted wedge heads, and it's emissions legal with cats and and EGR valve. Full race parts don't use EGR because there's no emissions laws on race tracks yet. But there will be one day. My boy has a Shelby super snake with 725 stock HP, guess what.... He's got and EGR valve.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this thread.

No offense.

What you guys are thinking of when you speak of crankcase and valve cover ventilation is a PCV system. The PCV system stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. The PCV system is meant to burn oil that would normally drip onto the ground. This is the hose that travels from the crankcase to the intake. The EGR runs from the exhaust to the intake and improves gas mileage by sacrificing power. It forces the engine to consume the same air twice. The Mustang intake you're talking about has an intake designed to use the stock PCV system, not the EGR system. It might also use the stock EGR system as well, but from the thread it sounds like you're talking about the PCV system.

A popular aftermarket way to vent the PCV pressure without exposing the intake/combustion chamber to these gasses is a breather filter. A breather allows the use of an PCV-less system WITHOUT polluting the shit of the environment. A breather is literally a miniature foam or paper element filter mounted where the PCV tube would go, allowing the user to plug up the PCV inlet on the intake. Back in the day cars were designed to drip oil on a daily basis through the front and rear main crank seals. Once the government found out that this polluted the environment, they made laws requiring manufacturers to eliminate these "Oil leaks". Thus, the PCV system was born. By burning this oil, the engines consumed more oil, but dripped none onto the ground. This introduces more build-up onto the pistons and combustion chamber, but saves the environment from catastrophic damage.

Bypassing the PCV does slightly improve performance, but not much at all. The major advantage is reliability. The whole reason why drag and race cars don't have PCV or EGR systems is because of performance and reliability, and the fact that the government doesn't regulate them.

With a PCV system, the engine consumes oil, rather than dumping it onto the ground.

With an EGR system the engine consumes more exhaust gas, which has far less oxygen than regular air. Burning the same charge twice reduces the amount of pure oxygen a car consumes, but increases fuel economy.

Race applications avoid these systems because it reduced performance and longevity. If the engine consumes oil and carbon monoxide instead of oxygen the combustion gasses become polluted with a less-than-optimal charge, reducing power. Consuming oil also puts harmful deposits on critical parts. These PCV and EGR systems are designed for street-legal passenger vehicles, and help improve fuel economy and the environment by consuming oil that would normally find its way to the ground, by burning the same thing twice.

It is possible to avoid these systems. The EGR system is as easy as plugging the ports for the system. The PCV system requires the user to put a breather filter on the crankcase hose and plug the intake hose. The downside is legality. In other words, if the inspection station has to open the hood for any reason when you go to get an inspection, good luck getting a sticker.

Then again, I've been drinking since 9:00. Who knows? All I know is that most of the EGR systems I've ever seen were made of metal due to the heat involved. I've bypassed many-a-EGR/PCV system before and I've never seen an EGR that looks like the OP's pictures.

As far as A/C is concerned.... It is a HP whore, but its a useful one. For a street/strip car I'd ditch the A/C, but for a daily driver its a necessity.

I don't remember ever mentioning pcv. And my intake does use the stock egr. Never did I say it didn't. Good copy and past job though!

He didn't copy and paste. Trust me this guy could write books.

As far as A/C is concerned.... It is a HP whore, but its a useful one. For a street/strip car I'd ditch the A/C, but for a daily driver its a necessity.

nice write up and thank you. btw for my buddy with the a/c. i knew him when i lived in fl and he still lives there. so since its his dd (no snow. nice to only need one car:cool:) he left the a/c components on just cause of the FL heat. and when you have 900 hp on a street car, a/c just gave him bragging rights for beating people in races while he was sitting in a car with the a/c on full blast.

in what cars? cause every car ive had the ac has stayed on when i punch it to get on the highway. and that is not true because he dynoed 75hp less when the ac was on. when they realized it was on they turned it off and ran it again w/o making any changes other than turning the a/c off.

Most modern cars disconnect the A/C clutch when you go WOT. All Subarus do.

If you measured 75hp difference between A/C on and off.... something else was going on. A/C uses about 3-15hp depending on size and stuffs.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived