LegacyGT.com

Correct torque for lugnuts

trigeek

Hey Folks,

Decided to save some coin and change my winter and summer wheels myself. So I'm gonna pick up a torque wrench. But I want to make sure I get a wrench that will torque in the right range.

Anyone know the proper torque for the wheels on an '07 spec.B in Canada (I imagine the US is the same).

Thanks for the help.

I couldn't find it in the manual, I did check. 80lbs sounds to be in the right range. Any other suggestions out there? Anyone know a guy who knows a guy who works at a Subbie dealer?

thanks

hmm got a question for you guys too, i set my torque wrench at 80lbs, before when i tighten the lugs i get them tighten til it makes the click sound. But now i tighten the lugs as tight as i could, but the wrench doesn't make click sound anymore...

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

hmm got a question for you guys too, i set my torque wrench at 80lbs, before when i tighten the lugs i get them tighten til it makes the click sound. But now i tighten the lugs as tight as i could, but the wrench doesn't make click sound anymore...

You have either become extremely weak or the wrench is broken. Since buying a torque wrench I have been amazed just how little 80 ft lb is.

It is still ugly.

Do you really need to measure this? I just torque them on as hard as I can by hand then re-check them after a short drive. Every shop I've ever been to has most definitely torqued them well past factory spec.

I'm a little guy (read weak pussy) and I used to tighten lug nuts without a torgue wrench. Finally (after 30 + years) I damaged lugs and a stud on our Camry from over tightening. After getting the torgue wrench, I was amazed just how little 80 ft lb is. The wrench was cheaper than the damage I did. Shops with air wrenchs suck...they are lazy. I always retorque after I get home.

It is still ugly.

Yeah, but how much can your overtorque by hand? I don't go balls to the wall, stomping on the damn tire iron. I just torque tightly and don't worry about it. That can't nearly be as bad as dumbass with air gun.

you can easily double it by hand.

If the tire place you use doesn't properly torque them down ....... quit using that place.

I was just swapping my rims today and according to the guys I was with and according to his chart, you can torque a LGT lugs to 89ft/lbs. 85 is the magic number. The hub is all one piece and if you over tighten you could easily screw up your bearing housing and then...well you know the rest. So I set my torque to 85 and left it there. Sean @ Rallitek also said no more than 85 for LGT's. There is actually a tool that will not let you torque down more than 85 ft/lbs it's used with air wrenches, I don't remember what it is called. I know it is not called a torque wrench. It is one piece, stationary and skinny in the middle...anyone know?

I was just swapping my rims today and according to the guys I was with and according to his chart, you can torque a LGT lugs to 89ft/lbs. 85 is the magic number. The hub is all one piece and if you over tighten you could easily screw up your bearing housing and then...well you know the rest. So I set my torque to 85 and left it there. Sean @ Rallitek also said no more than 85 for LGT's. There is actually a tool that will not let you torque down more than 85 ft/lbs it's used with air wrenches, I don't remember what it is called. I know it is not called a torque wrench. It is one piece, stationary and skinny in the middle...anyone know?

The sign on the wall at Discount Tire refers to it as a "torque stick".

It is still ugly.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice (even BoxerGT2.5 who suggested I or my car might be special because it's a spec.B).

Truth is I'm not mechanically inclined, but I am cheap. And this is the first car I've ever owned that I haven't just driven All Seasons on.

Thanks again, you guys, and this site, are as always extremely helpful.

me, I just finger tighten them to 85 ft-lbs, cause my hands are as calibrated as my butt dyno...

Yet another success-story from Captains of Crush. :lol::wub:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah, but how much can your overtorque by hand? I don't go balls to the wall, stomping on the damn tire iron. I just torque tightly and don't worry about it. That can't nearly be as bad as dumbass with air gun.

You'd be surprised; you can torque it up to 100ft/lbs by hand pretty easy with the dinky factory wrench that subaru includes in the trunk.

Just get a cheap torque wrench, I use a $20 one and torque mine up to 75.

I'm more concerned about having the same torque on all 5 lugs on the same wheel because of problems I've had on past cars.

Archived