LegacyGT.com

Removing dried wax from black trim

apexi

A friend just bought a used car that has some dried wax on the exterior black plastic trim pieces.. Any good tips on how to remove this? I haven't tried yet on their car, but I remember on other cars it was very hard to remove. I'm googling right now, but figured I'd also throw this out there for any extra suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
if you don't have a magic eraser, depending on how much there is, new wax will usually take off the old stuff, then make sure you really wipe the new wax off. (then run out to the store and get a box of mr. clean magic erasers, because they are awesome for cleaning stuff! getting marks of walls, etc. - if you have kids, they are a must-have!

I never thought of trying a magic eraser, I'll give that a try sometime, thanks guys.

new wax will usually take off the old stuff, then make sure you really wipe the new wax off.

I discovered this by mistake a few days ago when I was helping the person wax their car. I decided not to use bug and tar remover while washing the car to get rid of some of the little tar dots that were spotted on the car, so I was using mothers cleaner wax on those spots before applying collinite 845 to the whole car. In the process, I accidentally got the cleaner wax on some of the trim that already had dried wax on it. To my surprise, it did a pretty good job of getting rid of a lot of the dried wax. I'm going off memory, and I think there is still some old dried wax residue, but it did a great job of getting rid a decent amount of it.

Archived