LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my BPV Sense hose connects from the small nipple on the BPV and then runs down and connects to that blue T-fitting not the manifold..... Is something wrong with my car....

Yes.

See here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70674.htm

Or, of course, you have traced the hose incorrectly... that is, you are wrong.

Odd I thought the "Blue T" was no longer in 07+. I think the T fitting in your link to Cobb is not the same T he's referring to SeeeeeYa. I'm pretty sure my BPV boost reference line does go to the "Blue T" in my 06 and my understanding was 07 and newer went direct to the manifold.

That article looks nothing like my car.....
Actually your car does have the other T unless you went 3 port EBCS. That's where the restrictor pill is but you are correct it's on the other side (turbo) of the car. That T goes between the Turbo reference line, the WG actuator, and the turbo inlet.

Your video looks just like my 06 but as I stated above - I thought that T fitting was no more after MY 07 based on other research and from your car model under your name I thought you had an 08.

My BLUE T-Fitting under the intercooler has all 3 lines zip tied and a drop of super glue on them.

On the turbo side there is a TAN T-Fitting that has 3 lines on it. All 3 of those have clamps. That is the side with the restrictor pill in it.

So do I have all the lines secure now?

• Moderators

Jeff, am I mixing up bpv/pcv hoses?

Gray, my hose routes down similar to yours without looking under the intercooler.

I'm moving tonight / tomorrow so may not be of

Much help until Sunday, but I would guess if your car has been running fine you don't have an issue.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Jeff, am I mixing up bpv/pcv hoses?

Gray, my hose routes down similar to yours without looking under the intercooler.

I'm moving tonight / tomorrow so may not be of

Much help until Sunday, but I would guess if your car has been running fine you don't have an issue.

My BLUE T-Fitting under the intercooler has all 3 lines zip tied and a drop of super glue on them.

On the turbo side there is a TAN T-Fitting that has 3 lines on it. All 3 of those have clamps. That is the side with the restrictor pill in it.

So do I have all the lines secure now?

Yes. Sorry if I wasn't real clear in my explanation but you have it right.

Having seen your video it is clear your BPV is connected correctly. The confusion is over the generic use of the labeling of the T... YOU have a T there, but it functionally still connects (via the other side of the T) to the nipple referenced in the BP Mod instructions. So instead of just the one line from the BPV needing clamped/secured, you have at least three there. The little hose that goes from that T you have and the Intake Manifold nipple still needs clamped/glued.

My 11 WRX did not have that T, the BPV line went singularly to the IM nipple. My STi is different. My 05 Legacy GT was different. But they all still work the same, logically. To my knowledge there is no sensible hose routing information, anywhere. Even Subaru manuals only provide disjointed concepts, but no overall, visually useable, hose routing. You have to create your own, either put in on paper or pictures or have it secure in your mind.

I posted the link to the boost control circuitry to give a general idea, for even that is simplified and doesn't factually depict the actual circuitry in all cars. If you investigate your boost control, as well as other hoses, you will find you have other Ts as well.

It would be of large value to define where the small line goes from the T you have videoed... instead of just saying it goes into the engine somewhere. The problems people encounter are due to a (stupid) engineering failure by Subaru to provide barbed connectors for their vacuum/BOOST hoses. Vacuum is no problem, of course. But once the hoses are moved, age changes the rubber, or boost in excess of stock is applied to these hoses they begin to fail by blowing off. In most cases when they blow off it only causes inconvenience... but if your Fuel Pressure Sense Hose blows off you will probably need a new motor. There are a bunch of hoses, all need secured. Super-glueing and zip-ties are better than nothing. Super glue and a corbin clamp are ideal. Your car, your fixes.

FWIW, Subaru implements their boost control in a variety of visually different configurations. However, they all work the same, and that Cobb article explains the logic. It is the mark of a thorough and responsible owner/modder to become familiar with ALL the hoses and components on their car, and not treat a single one as a "mystery" part that goes "somewhere." Otherwise, someday, you or someone else will be looking for the facts when dictated by problems, as opposed to foreseeing those problems and eliminating them preemptively.

Pardon my introduction of uncertainty, but it highlights an issue as yet without resolution.

Having seen your video it is clear your BPV is connected correctly. The confusion is over the generic use of the labeling of the T... YOU have a T there, but it functionally still connects (via the other side of the T) to the nipple referenced in the BP Mod instructions. So instead of just the one line from the BPV needing clamped/secured, you have at least three there. The little hose that goes from that T you have and the Intake Manifold nipple still needs clamped/glued.

My 11 WRX did not have that T, the BPV line went singularly to the IM nipple. My STi is different. My 05 Legacy GT was different. But they all still work the same, logically. To my knowledge there is no sensible hose routing information, anywhere. Even Subaru manuals only provide disjointed concepts, but no overall, visually useable, hose routing. You have to create your own, either put in on paper or pictures or have it secure in your mind.

I posted the link to the boost control circuitry to give a general idea, for even that is simplified and doesn't factually depict the actual circuitry in all cars. If you investigate your boost control, as well as other hoses, you will find you have other Ts as well.

It would be of large value to define where the small line goes from the T you have videoed... instead of just saying it goes into the engine somewhere. The problems people encounter are due to a (stupid) engineering failure by Subaru to provide barbed connectors for their vacuum/BOOST hoses. Vacuum is no problem, of course. But once the hoses are moved, age changes the rubber, or boost in excess of stock is applied to these hoses they begin to fail by blowing off. In most cases when they blow off it only causes inconvenience... but if your Fuel Pressure Sense Hose blows off you will probably need a new motor. There are a bunch of hoses, all need secured. Super-glueing and zip-ties are better than nothing. Super glue and a corbin clamp are ideal. Your car, your fixes.

FWIW, Subaru implements their boost control in a variety of visually different configurations. However, they all work the same, and that Cobb article explains the logic. It is the mark of a thorough and responsible owner/modder to become familiar with ALL the hoses and components on their car, and not treat a single one as a "mystery" part that goes "somewhere." Otherwise, someday, you or someone else will be looking for the facts when dictated by problems, as opposed to foreseeing those problems and eliminating them preemptively.

Pardon my introduction of uncertainty, but it highlights an issue as yet without resolution.

I totally see and agree with where you're going with that statement. I plan to spend a few hours one day tracing vacuum lines and making sure everything is secure.

Thank you for your insight.

• Moderators

Seems that the extra/missing "T's" caused some confusion over the weekend, but all is well. Apparently certain model years may look a little different, but the routing of the hoses is essentially the same. Basic rule of them is to zip tie / clamp every hose you can find while you are in there so you hopefully won't have to remove the intercooler to reconnect a hose under there.

I'm going to be cutting up some more kits this week, likely on Thursday. The couple folks that have ordered should have their kits in the mail by the end of the week.

• Moderators
bump for a good guy with a quality product and great instructions

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I'm about to ship off a kit to Finland this week! Craziness.

I'm back up and running as far as producing the kits. I managed to keep track of all the pieces-parts through the move except for my hand files, but I'll replace those if I don't find them during the labor day holiday.

Thanks for the orders, everyone. I don't have all of the kits cut/final yet, but I think it's safe to say that well over half the kits produced in this run have been sold and shipped--simply amazing.

Happy Labor Day Weekend, all.

No problem, your doing a great service for all the guys that dont want to go overboard JUST for reliability. Now your international! :)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

^Curious to know who that is cause there are VERY few LGT/OBXTs in Europa land.

Nonsense. Switzerland for example is awash with them.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Nonsense. Switzerland for example is awash with them.

I am referring to the LGT and OBXT as per USDM specs (EJ255). Switzerland may have been the only country which really sold the LGT for a short time (and maybe a bit Germany) that I know of. Just lived 2 years in Scandinavia and currently in France (driving my OBXT). They have never been sold in most of these euro countries. If there are any OBXTs, they must have been imported from the states. In most of euro land, they just sell the 2.5i, 3.6R, and 2.0D. I know a guy from Finland who just bought an LGT which he got from California, and another dude from Spain who imported the engine from Florida.

current models in Switzerland for the OB: http://www.subaru.ch/data/docs/download/1065/fr/Outback-Caracteristiques-techniques-Equipement.pdf

current legacy models in Germany: http://www.subaru.de/fileadmin/downloads/modelle/legacy/PreiseDaten/Legacy_2012_10_08FINAL.pdf

Edited by xt2005bonbon

• Moderators

Well, kit is in the mail to Finland--expect it in 7-10 days. I hate filling out those stupid little customs forms!

One more kit should go out today and I'll be installing one for someone else this week--thanks for the orders, time to start cutting up some more kits!