LegacyGT.com

2005 5MT transmission leak from drain plug

I need the part number (if there is one) for the O ring or crush washer that goes around the transmission drain plug because I'm leaking quite a lot of transmission oil. Based from the pictures it looks like it's coming from the plug because I don't see a trail of oil anywhere else.

It might possibly be coming from the left cv axle because I do see an outline of oil around the green cup, but is there a seal for that as well?

(And Yes I know my CV boot is torn and there's grease everywhere, but thats another issue and I have an order for a new one on the way right now.)

I knew the leak has been happening sometime now, but after I did my tranny flush just a few days ago, its leaks a bit more rapidly

In the first two pictures you can clearly see a drop of oil in mid air falling to the ground

In the last picture you can see how much oil is on the ground. That's in a span of 3 hours

Edit: was just a seal not all the way in the trans :/

It could be from either. Yes there is a seal where the axle meets the transmission. Theres also a small spring in there that if the the axle was ever removed could have been lost in the process and would cause a leak, which is what happened to mine. I would clean the whole bottom of your trans in that area and go for a quick drive. If it's the axle you should be able to tell after that.

I would clean the whole bottom of your trans in that area

That's what I did when I did my flush. That's why I took pics too see if you guys see a trail from anywhere else.

As far as I can tell it's coming from the drain plug and I do see oil on the brim of the cv axle but no trail leading to the bottom of the transmission.

Whats bothering me is how rapidly it's dripping from the plug. I mean I tightend it a breaker bar !

Thanks for the info about the spring. Ill be sure to order one at the dealer and install it when my new axle comes in. Would you know what the spring is called ?

You sure thats trans fluid? Is it red? whats it smell like?

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0454.jpg

In this pic your CV boot is ripped and you need to replace the axle. Its a fun job mine looked the same.

You sure thats trans fluid? Is it red? whats it smell like?

In this pic your CV boot is ripped and you need to replace the axle. Its a fun job mine looked the same.

Its a manual trans, not automatic. and this stuff SMELLS

and Like in my original post, I have a new axle on the way.

Its a manual trans, not automatic. and this stuff SMELLS

and Like in my original post, I have a new axle on the way.

Might want to grab the axle seal from the dealer as well. So that if it is leaking because of a bad seal you can replace it all at once and don't need to pull the axle twice. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Just the crush washer, I needed a new drain plug one time because it was overtighten and the torx70 teeth were in rough shape.

I had to use a pipe wrench to remove the old plug.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Did you get this resolved?

I had a track friend ignore a minor leak and in an over rev situation drop most of his fluid without noticing it. Got off the track just in time not to need to replace the entire tranny. Turned out he re-used the crush washer 3 times!

yes...crush washers are cheap and if you use an old one there's no guarantee it will seal properly

The copper washer on my transmission does not appear to be a crush washer. I have drained and refilled the tranny 6 or more imes and no leakage. I'm still going to buy a replacement because eventually any washer is going to be a problem.

Archived