LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

The ride is firm and solid. I have about 600 miles on my new setup....Bilstein HD's/pinks. This is the way the car should have come from the factory....but owner/drivers in this country are not used to a firm ride like this....customer surveys indicated the vehicle would not be widely accepted with the original ride engineered for the car (the JDM version). Very rough roads here in Maine, a real test for any suspension. You definitely feel the road more, but the ride tends to smooth out with speed. Handling is superb. Very noticeable improvement in handling and feel when traversing the twisting up and downs on the reverse crown secondaries. Transitions are very smooth....glued to the road....

Another neat aspect is that the car is completely level when done with the right pinks...none of the rear sagging experienced with other setups. No need for rear spring spacers....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you go with sedan fronts and wagon rears? I really want to get a set of Pinks for my '08 Spec.B but can't find a straight answer as to which ones are the best option. Some say they sag, others say get wagon springs for the rear, others say they don't sag at all...

I'd consider coilovers but I barely have 20k miles, I'd hate to get rid of the stock Bilsteins when they have such little mileage on them. Not to mention the headaches associated with coilovers.

2006 LGT.....replaced the stock front struts with Bilstein HD's (probably stiffer than the stock Bilsteins)....order the pinks through EDO:

http://shop.edoperformance.com/sti-pink-springs-frontrear-legacy-bspec-p-9387.html (for your vehicle)

After reviewing the pinks chart, I ordered this set as recommended by EDO:

http://shop.edoperformance.com/sti-pink-springs-frontrear-legacy-p-9386.html (for my 2006 LGT non-SpecB)

replaced my front mounts with SpecB.....used stock rear mounts....replaced all other parts with new stock hardware and absorbers.....

installation came out perfectly level without using rear shims....cannot say how your SpecB level would come out....but assume it would be the same...a slight lowering all around for my LGT....

Recommend this setup to anyone for a street car....perfectly stable....no lean in corners....good transitions....

Might be a dumb question but springs for a 2006 sedan GT is the same for a 2.5 non turbo sedan? Aboput to order but just want to be 100%.

thanks

4th generation Legacy GT and 2.5i can use the same suspension mods, except for front sway bar and front underbody braces. So yes, springs are ok :)

Does anyone have experience with the Bilstein/Swift combo? I would love to see a picture of them on a GT. Also is there anything i need besides the spec b tophats when ordering the Bilsteins? (Set on the bilsteins for struts now just picking springs.)

You should be fine with 18's and a 1.5 " drop but it may depend on tire choice. I ran 225/45/18 without rubbing on low Swifts (approx 2 " drop) . but since they were on stock shocks they wore out and eventually I got some rubbing on the inner plastic wheel liner.

Looking for a low cost strut/spring combo to replace my stock setup. My LGT is a DD, I don't track it and am looking for a mild drop. Will the KYB struts and Epic Springs be a good combo?

Looking for a low cost strut/spring combo to replace my stock setup. My LGT is a DD, I don't track it and am looking for a mild drop. Will the KYB struts and Epic Springs be a good combo?

Another DD here, based in New England. Havng my Konis and Epics installed this Thursday, I opted for the adjustability of the Konis with our widely variable roads. Probably wont tweak them often, just figure ut what setting I like best and leave it there most of the time.

Never researched the KYB cost but the Konis can be had for less than $500 right now for all 4.

If the adjusters aren't difficult to get to, it's maybe a five minute job to reset them on the occasions where your passenger(s) might not have as much tolerance for a firm-ish ride as you.

You can fab up a much better adjustment tool from a short length of 1" x 1/8" steel strip than the plastic knob thing that Koni ships with them.

Norm

I'm thinking of the same set up. Let me know how it is, im scared of dragging my y pipe! [spt]

So if I just change springs, and leave everything else stock, i should be OK? I have different set of 17's, but will be using the same tires on stock rims from my 09 2.5i. Rallitek springs are the ones I'm thinking......I am mostly on the highway, no city driving.

• 2 weeks later...
I put tein lowering springs on my lgt with stock struts. Springs lowered 1.5 front and 1.4 in rear. My camber was over a degree negative on front and rear had to buy camber kits for front and rear went with whiteline rear camber kit and some generic bolt front camber kit. Also noticed that my lower inner control arm bushing was torn so replaced those with perrin 0 caster positive steering bushings. Handles much better in the corners but ride is significantly uncomfortable. Looking into replacing struts... Newbie question, how to post pictures?
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation