LegacyGT.com

The Classic to 18g or not to 18g question

InTheBay

Hey folks, I have a bit of dilemma:

I'm going to need to (well, frankly already have heard the moo of death in my VF40), replace my turbocharger on my OBXT. Now my tuner initially proposed a KAMAK TD05H-18GTX. Now, I saw this to be a bit expensive for my tates ($1400 for a turbo is quite a damn bit, factoring for CAD) So I looked into the very slightly more economical and also respected Kinugawa for their offering, the TD05H-16G with all the fixings, 9 blade wheel, billet compressor, 7cm^2 housing.

Now, this being my first major turbo replacement project I have the usual concerns, but more than anything I have a concern with internal and driveline strength as well as keeping everything happy in the engine bay.

Given the supporting mods below, do you think it can handle stock 18G power, as well as fueling? I feel like I'll be approaching the power limits of these internals, probably running at 15-16 psi.

Also, do you have any turbo recommendations based upon what I've linked above? The car is daily driven, and Automatic to boot. Any general good ideas or reliability improvement suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2005 Outback XT, 5 speed Auto,

Supporting mods:

*are incoming or to be installed

Intake

Perrin TMIC

K&N Panel filter

Perrin Aftermaf tube*

Perrin Intake tube*

Mishimoto Throttle body to IC tube*

Free Rang(e) Racing Hose + Tube replacement kit*

Ported/Polished/Powdercoated TGV Delete*

Exhaust

OBX Headers

Grimmspeed Up Pipe

Grimmspeed Doublethick gaskets at every interface

Invidia Catted divorced wastegate DP W/ O2 Bung Welded + Wrapped

Speed Daddy Catback exhaust (OBXT, who needs bumper cutouts)

Fuelling/Engine

Killer B Oil Baffle*

Deatschworks 850CC injectors*

Tuning

Grimmspeed EBCS

DIY Analog boost gauge

Innovate MTX-L Wideband

VAG-COM + eTuning by Ed at XRT

Thanks guys!

im running a tomioka 18g with stock fueling just fine. I chose it to leave me a bit of head room on my future plans. a good tuner should be able to make things work for the 18g.

I have the Tomioka 18g also. Great turbo for under 1k price range. Looking back with I would have upped my budget to 1500-1800 as there are a lot of very nice turbos in that range. Anyway, as long as you have supporting fuel mods the 18g is good. Since your auto I think you will need the valve body mod tho or that trannys gunna toast it's self. Also, I did not see a fuel pump on your list. The detchwerks 265c is a nice drop in fuel pump.

Yeah, that's what I heard. My tuner has made some slight TCU adjustments but the valve body will be needed. I'm thinking I'll need to do the center diff bushings as well.

I'll add fuel pump and VB to the list.

• Moderators

You need fuel mods for an 18g. Not having fuel mods or not planning to do so is just silly.

I have a 16g setup currently with all supporting mods aside from a build motor (1000cc top feed conversion, fuel pump, ELH, etc). If I want more power I'll just swap in a bigger turbo, but so far I'm liking the 16g in terms of available boost plus a decent amount of extra top end.

Also, why did you do a KillerB baffle but no pickup?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
im running a tomioka 18g with stock fueling just fine. I chose it to leave me a bit of head room on my future plans. a good tuner should be able to make things work for the 18g.

If you are running an "18g with stock fueling just fine" it's because you are leaving a lot of power on the table due to both your fuel pump and injectors.

You can certainly run an 18g safely, but there's just no point. You may as well have a 16g and the added spool.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You need fuel mods for an 18g. Not having fuel mods or not planning to do so is just silly.

I have a 16g setup currently with all supporting mods aside from a build motor (1000cc top feed conversion, fuel pump, ELH, etc). If I want more power I'll just swap in a bigger turbo, but so far I'm liking the 16g in terms of available boost plus a decent amount of extra top end.

Also, why did you do a KillerB baffle but no pickup?

I do have planned fuel upgrades. I'd like to go topfeed at some point, but its just far cheaper for me to go with some used 850 DW sidefeeds and a sidefeed TGV delete at the moment. If I decide to pull the motor and go forged, I would go topfeed at that point. I know sidefeeds are limited.

Baffle because I didnt really look for the pickup with my Rallysportdirect order. Figure its a cheap and easy thing to do, I'll do the pickup at some point with a higher volume oilpan.

What is this ELH you speak of?

why not get a BNR 16g for 750 or 18g for 775?

or for that matter, get a vf52 for 799 from sixstarspeed. at sixstarspeed you can add on all sorts of goodies too, even larger turbine and compressor wheels if you want a turbo with more lag and higher flow/hp. 2 year warranty to boot.

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusuw.html

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Archived