LegacyGT.com

Options to get a good Subaru Rumble :)

I have a 2005 GT Wagon....I'll be honest I'm not looking for insane HP gain (at least not yet) ...it's my daily driver but I still have plans for it.

I've honestly never been a fan of the quiet sound from the car. I love everything about it aside from that. Took the silencer off but did literally nothing (It's an automatic so maybe that's why).

Anyway...what are some basic options to give the car a little more beefy sound? Some have said OBX exhaust for like $400, others have said just an UP, others DP, and one even said just an intake...lol

You know what I'm talking about I am just looking for a little of that Subaru rumble. What is my best (and least inexpensive) route in your opinion? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't take it personal, some of the old hags around here can be a bit grumpy (to put it mildly). I just chock it up to too many blown turbos and ringland failures.

as for your question, I have done an UP and DP and it only slightly increased the exhaust note.

There are certainly tons of aftermarket exhausts which seem to vary in sound output and quality (most of which have sound clips on youtube). If you want a really serious rumble, I would look at deleting the rear mufflers, check out nameless performance muffler deletes, there are sound clips.

And there's always the hogzaust...

One thing that can help with search efficiency and effectiveness is to just use the google search engine and use the search operator "site:legacygt.com" then add your search terms after that.

welcome, from one noob to another.

don't take it personal, some of the old hags around here can be a bit grumpy (to put it mildly). I just chock it up to too many blown turbos and ringland failures.

as for your question, I have done an UP and DP and it only slightly increased the exhaust note.

There are certainly tons of aftermarket exhausts which seem to vary in sound output and quality (most of which have sound clips on youtube). If you want a really serious rumble, I would look at deleting the rear mufflers, check out nameless performance muffler deletes, there are sound clips.

And there's always the hogzaust...

One thing that can help with search efficiency and effectiveness is to just use the google search engine and use the search operator "site:legacygt.com" then add your search terms after that.

welcome, from one noob to another.

Thanks man...great info.

Really don't understand why people gotta be rude about it...like the take your turbo off comment lol....just don't get it. I thought forums were supposed to help people lol..I could see it if it was a ridiculous question...but oh well to each there own.

It's not such a ridiculous question, its just a question that has been covered more so than most others.

The "boxer rumble" will be more prominent the more you open up the exhaust, just like ANY exhaust sound. The bigger restriction you remove or lessen (muffler, cat, resonator ect), the more the engine sound travels out. UP pipes and DP's aren't going to give you much of that sound. I suggest youtubing a few different exhaust setups on legacy's.

Welcome to the forums! The hogzaust isn't that bad, I liked it until I saved up a couple hundred to get my first exhaust. It's definitely worth the $2 to do it. Haters gonna hate, ignore them.

FYI there are 4-5 questions that will get you flamed here, the subie rumble is one of them. Rule of thumb, the expectation is that you don't ask a question til you've read all the stickies and tried a couple different searches.

Other potential flame ready questions:

2) what oil should i use

3) what springs will lower my car the best

4) Will these wheels fit my car

5) should i plug my hood scoop when i wash my car

• I Donated Too
Thanks man...great info.

Really don't understand why people gotta be rude about it...like the take your turbo off comment lol....just don't get it. I thought forums were supposed to help people lol..I could see it if it was a ridiculous question...but oh well to each there own.

You stop being lazy and I'll stop being rude...maybe.

the take your turbo off comment lol....just don't get it.

That relates to the second most annoying n00b question that gets posted here, usually every week in the n/a section. That one regards getting a non-turbo car with the superior factory equal-length header to emulate the blub-blub sound made by turbo models still hobbled by the inefficient factory manifolds, aka 'teh rumbel mang'.

Oh, and the turbo is sometimes called a 'rotary muffler' for its effect of chopping sound waves up and reducing noise.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Alright alright fair enough :) never dealt with a factory turbo or a subaruuuuu, I get it ..all good . I reacted the same way to noobs on the Integra forums.

Anyway to my defense I did search .. ;) but it's all good

Archived