LegacyGT.com

Performance Mods for the 3.6R

Just got a 2012 Ice silver Legacy 3.6R Limited. I have been lurking this forum for quite some time now. Why is there no performance mods for the 3.6? Would love to get a air intake. All I see for mods for this car is whats offered from the dealership. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I googled and searched the forum.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Air intakes really won't get you much, anything really, on a stock motor except sound.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

Just got a 2012 Ice silver Legacy 3.6R Limited. I have been lurking this forum for quite some time now. Why is there no performance mods for the 3.6? Would love to get a air intake. All I see for mods for this car is whats offered from the dealership. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I googled and searched the forum.

Can you post a pic of your Ice Silver '12? Curious to see what a real world Legacy looks like with that color.

It's so weird to me, being a subaru newbie, that intakes do nothing for these cars... I'm coming from an RSX type S, where I netted about 12whp from a cold air intake! I'm not kidding either.

My stock baseline was about 172 whp, 184 after the CAI, then after I added a race header, exhaust and a different intake manifold and got it tuned... I ended up with 225 whp.

It's so weird to me, being a subaru newbie, that intakes do nothing for these cars... I'm coming from an RSX type S, where I netted about 12whp from a cold air intake! I'm not kidding either.

My stock baseline was about 172 whp, 184 after the CAI, then after I added a race header, exhaust and a different intake manifold and got it tuned... I ended up with 225 whp.

and 125 ft lbs. of torque ;)

Don't waste your money.

So engine, mods, dyno?

2.0 liter K20Z1 201 CHP

Injen Cold Air Intake

Hondata intake manifold spacer

Honda RBC intake manifold (from the civic SI)

Club rsx Race Header

Buddy Club Pro Spec Exhaust 2.5"

K-pro, e-tuned by magnesium tuning.

Dyno'd at Autospeed, NJ. It is a mustang dyno.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/vdlion717/Dyno.jpg

He was asked and he produced. Nicely done mmmmspecb!

As for 3.6R engine performance. Well there is really nothing. A set of Axle Back Exhaust mufflers might add a weeeeeeeee bit, but that's really not why people do it. It's more about opening up that very quiet exhaust system and getting to hear that wonderful motor sing! :D

But I didn't buy my 3.6R to make into a HP monster. For me, the 256HP that came with it stock is fine. And the ability to use 85 octane gas and still get decent performance is really cool!

Yeah I'd like to see a few more ponies, but at what cost? Right now there just isn't anyone doing anything for these cars and if they do, it will only be expensive. Not a great option.

He was asked and he produced. Nicely done mmmmspecb!

As for 3.6R engine performance. Well there is really nothing. A set of Axle Back Exhaust mufflers might add a weeeeeeeee bit, but that's really not why people do it. It's more about opening up that very quiet exhaust system and getting to hear that wonderful motor sing! :D

But I didn't buy my 3.6R to make into a HP monster. For me, the 256HP that came with it stock is fine. And the ability to use 85 octane gas and still get decent performance is really cool!

Yeah I'd like to see a few more ponies, but at what cost? Right now there just isn't anyone doing anything for these cars and if they do, it will only be expensive. Not a great option.

Kinda sucks that there isn't a great aftermarket for the 3.6... The VQ35 has a huge aftermarket and people have sucked a ton of power out of those engines... I know it's possible. I guess aftermarket companies aren't even bothering due high cost of R+D on a new engine along with low number of owners.

Well it's not just engine mods, but the suspensions on the 3.6R are an odd mix of bits too that tuners aren't really addressing. The stuff that was designed for the 2.5GT cars "fits" the 3.6R cars, but doesn't really work the same way it does on the GTs. So all the love is for the 2.5GTs and none for the 2.5i or 3.6R, oh well... :rolleyes:

+/- 12 is well within the error rate for a dyno. You'd have to dyno your car about 15X with each variable to get anything that would be statistically significant.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

2.0 liter K20Z1 201 CHP

Injen Cold Air Intake

Hondata intake manifold spacer

Honda RBC intake manifold (from the civic SI)

Club rsx Race Header

Buddy Club Pro Spec Exhaust 2.5"

K-pro, e-tuned by magnesium tuning.

Dyno'd at Autospeed, NJ. It is a mustang dyno.

this is the key thing. without the tune, the other mods are not so effective

and its the same for the 3.6R. the only thing is there is no reasonably priced tuning base for the 3.6R like there is for the hondas. So bolt on's are generally a waste.

Not trying to be mean but I don't think an N/A Honda platform is relevant.

Also VQ's don't make shit for power N/A. You can do an intake, plenum spacer and full exhaust and tune and it's still pretty meh.

haha, well to each his own... I'm in the Subaru world now if it means anything...

I can almost guarantee I would have been able to beat a stage 2 LGT from any sort of roll. Even without the tune, Strictly Bolt-on rsx's are making 210ish whp.

You should see what strictly N/A K24's can do... 300whp... awesome stuff.

I can almost guarantee I would have been able to beat a stage 2 LGT from any sort of roll. Even without the tune, Strictly Bolt-on rsx's are making 210ish whp.

I ran a best of 14.1 @ 100mph with a shitty launch. 2.35ish 60'

Considering that is about what a stock LGT runs, I kinda doubt it. Rutchard is stage 2 and ran a 12.9.

I wouldn't turn away increased HP, but I don't need it either. When I get the money I am going to enjoy some suspension upgrades and tinted windows to start. Thinking brembo brakes later. I may do the intake and exhaust too. I know it isn't going to add much, but it may sound nicer, which is worth it to me.

• Moderators

I'm not really too knowledgeable on this subject, but figured I'd chime in since no one has even mentioned the option to supercharge a larger displacement engine. Can this not be down on the 3.6 Legacy? There seems to be some info out there related to throwing a supercharger on 3.0 engines...http://www.raptorsc.com.au/. That would be a pretty amazing jump in power, kind of expensive tho! :eek:

I'm sure there are other options out there for something like this...No?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived