LegacyGT.com

5mt Transmission lost all gears?

bbjones121

I need help badly.

So I had my throwout bearing disintegrate and take the transmission snout with it.

I purchased these items:

-Single mass flywheel (new from the dealer)

-ACT HD clutch (new from Amazon)

-TSK3 bearing kit (new from local shop)

-Front Transmission case (new from Subaru)

-Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings

I had a local, Subaru only, shop put the internals from my transmission into the new case. I put everything back together and put Redline Synthetic oil in the transmission.

Everything ran great, but the clutch chatters like crazy when engaging from a stop in first gear. I was hoping that would go away after breaking or at least get less noticeable. Some people say it is just the way an ACT HD is and you learn to drive it. It is annoying me, but hopefully I will get over it.

So tonight at dinner, I started my car and put it in reverse,at least what I thought was reverse, and I almost put my car into the parked car in front of me. All my gears were gone! What was supposed to be Neutral was a forward gear and what should have been reverse was a forward gear. When I was able to shift into only forward gears but not reverse, it was like all the shift points slipped to the right and possibly I was only able to get into 1,2,3 and 4, 5th and reverse where unattainable to far to the right.

After some time fiddling with it, it completely locked out all gears, I couldn't even get it into anything. Then all of the sudden I was able to force it back into first and then all the gears were back like nothing happened. I proceeded to drive home.

Ever since the rebuild, there is a gear chatter sound when letting off the accelerator in gear. I attributed it to possible throwout bearing/pressure plate break in.

Does anyone know why all my gears would shift right and lock out like that? Did the mechanic forget a loose bolt in my transmission when they rebuilt it or can a syncro seriously jam while breaking in?

Thanks

I have driven thousands of miles on my LWFW and it chatters like a whore. I am going to have to redo it and eat another $1000, this car was just not made to be tuned or fiddled with. At least my car has rejected outright anything I have tried to do with it. Even the progress springs with .5" drop creaks and thuds on me. The clutch is a box of rocks, It nearly exploded when I put in a drop in filter...these cars suck for tuning because they are already optimized and can't really do any better unless you go all the way with engine tuning, for any little thing.

0-60 in 5.5 sec is good enough for me.

Wow, I'm guessing may be a bolt is lose in the shifter or rods somewhere.

When my old Spec 2+ would chatter, I'd put the tranny in neutral and just side step the clutch pedal, letting it bang to the top. No more chatter for a while.

My new Spec 2 clutch is great, I have over 7000 miles on it and it has never chattered, shift's like the oem clutch in my 09 Spec B.

Dose your shifter feel like it has a lot of play when it's in gear ? There should be very little side to side movement in the shifter when it's in gear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
So fluid is fine. Noise seems to be getting worse. Interesting, but when I put the car in second gear and take my hand off the shifter, slight accelerating moves the shifter backwards about a half inch to inch. Could something on the shaft have broken off or can anyone confirm that the shifter movement is normal?

So fluid is fine. Noise seems to be getting worse. Interesting, but when I put the car in second gear and take my hand off the shifter, slight accelerating moves the shifter backwards about a half inch to inch. Could something on the shaft have broken off or can anyone confirm that the shifter movement is normal?

Check the tranny mounts and bolts.

A STI tranny mount stopped a lot of movement when shifting in my 05 wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have driven thousands of miles on my LWFW and it chatters like a whore. I am going to have to redo it and eat another $1000, this car was just not made to be tuned or fiddled with. At least my car has rejected outright anything I have tried to do with it. Even the progress springs with .5" drop creaks and thuds on me. The clutch is a box of rocks, It nearly exploded when I put in a drop in filter...these cars suck for tuning because they are already optimized and can't really do any better unless you go all the way with engine tuning, for any little thing.

0-60 in 5.5 sec is good enough for me.

You're an idiot and I refer you to your own thread as evidence:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/thud-then-cel-highway-speeds-195573.html?t=195573

Some slight movement in the shifter during changes in acceleration/deceleration is normal. But your other symptoms obviously aren't with regards to shifting and inability to get into gears.

As far as the vibration/chatter goes, what speed are you at when going into 1st? I find that 1500 is about the minimum, unless I left off the clutch really, really, really slowly. 1500-2000 is good for me and I don't have to let off that slowly to prevent chatter.

The Kartboy bushings you have (I have the front ones, but not the rear) will transmit more vibration into the passenger compartment. Do you also have a short throw shifter? I have both the bushings and shifter and it makes more noise ever since I went with the ACT clutch. On the stock clutch, it was much quieter. I also notice that my round metal Subaru MOMO knob makes more noise than the stock Subaru leather MOMO knob.

Archived