LegacyGT.com

Crazy Electrical Issue, I think?

Alright guys I am wondering if you can help me out. I have a 2005 Legacy GT 5MT Wagon. The car is basically stage 2 with an AVO top mount running a COBB 93 octane stage 2 tune. I've been running the COBB tune for over a year with no issues.

Lately, on periodic occurrences, I have been having some weird electrical issues. I have a VGB1 (vent boost gauge that has volt a meter on it), when I start my car the volts will be high around 14.4-14.5 volts. If I start driving before it warms up I get some issues with the accelerator, some times when pushing on the gas the car will stutter or it will cut out all together, but not die. Or when I shift into 2nd it will kind of stutter. When this occurs I get no check engine light. The other thing is that when the car warms up and I drive it around for awhile the volts return to normal 13.8 volts or so and I do not experience any of the accelerator issues. Sometimes I will start my car after it has been sitting and this doesn't happen the volts are around 14.2 or so and the car is fine to drive before it warms up.

Another odd issue I've had is on 4 separate occasions (all spread out within about 6 months, but hasn't occurred in the last 3 months) where driving at various speeds (20-60mph) the car just completely looses power and shuts off. I can then immediately turn it on and it works just fine once again without any check engine lights.

I was thinking that maybe I had a loose ground so I checked the grounds coming from my battery that go to the block and frame and both are very clean without any loose connections. The Battery is a Red top optima that is almost 2 years old. Because of the odd volt readings I have been thinking it was something to do with the electrical, but as I write this I am beginning to wonder if I don't have an issue with fuel.

I am kinda at a loss right now and don't know which direction to take to figure this out. I am also very hesitant to bring my car to a shop as it doesn't occur all the time and I have yet to receive a check engine light. If any of you have some ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks

That's exactly what I was thinking with all the odd volt readings. My last car did crazy stuff when the alternator went out, I removed it two different times prior to it dying and took it to get tested both times it passed just fine, then one day it completely went out with no sign. I was driving down the road and the car just shut down and that was it.

Thanks for the input, I might take the alternator off and get it tested just to be sure.

Alright so a little update. I went to take the Alternator off this weekend and when I pulled the serpentine belts the 5 groove belt had 4 grooves completely worn off and the last one only went 3/4 of the way around the belt. I can take a pic if anyone cares. Anyways I replaced the belts 2 days ago and have had no issues since and have driven the leggy a lot. I am not saying its fixed just yet, but as of now I think the belt must of been slipping and causing issues with the alternator. I will continue to drive for a little while and let you guys know.

Thanks for the help so far!

Archived