LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R owners...I have questions

I am considering a 2009 Legacy 3.0R since they are available so cheap now (non Limited for around $22k), but wanted to see what some current owners had to say about theirs..pros and cons.

The two colors I have to pick from if I buy one are Quartz Silver and black.

Thoughts on the model and color choices??

discuss.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They aren't as fuel efficient as the 2.5i, but on the other hand it's not a bad car, and from what I understand reliable too. It has a better towing capacity than the 2.5i thanks to the bigger engine.

In Europe it's available in a Spec B version with the 6MT gearbox, so it's not an impossible combination in case you feel the urge to convert it.

453747.png

I have 08' limited and the gas economy is less than the 2.5I. But on the highway I get 25 in traffic, on my roadtrip last weekend got 27MPG. The auto is great car picks up and moves. I was torn bewteen the 2.5gt Spec B and this and I was not going to do any real engine mods, best choice I made. Test drive both, you will know what you like. I have nothing but pro's to say.

• Can burn regular.
  • Gets about same mpg as 2.5T.
  • Has 5EAT, not 4EAT like 2.5i.
  • Has VTD drive system.
  • Can tow 3,500.
  • Regularly run 150K plus miles with zero problems (mine has 88K)
  • Super smooth and refined.

I had a 97 OBW prior and it only got 1-2 mpg better on average, but the 3.0R has a lot more power.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have had turbo Subies before. my list of subies:

1992 SVX LS-L

1996 outback sport

2003 wrx

2005 wrx

2005 LGT

2008 outback sport

2008 wrx

I dont think I want the LGT. It is a little more and I dont really have the urge to do any mods and the 6 cylinder would help keep that bug down.

I also like the idea of regular gas vs the premium.

I am not even considering the 2.5i Legacy. If I go with one at all, it would be the 3.0R, but wanted to see what owners say about it..if they love, would do it differently if given the chance, etc.

any MPG is better than the current one - a 2006 4.0L Wrangler. I am not super concerned about the MPG's though..would like it to be over 20mpg though.

Are you using the SI Drive at all...does it even make a difference in the 6 cylinder? I know you can feel a huge difference in turbo models in the different modes, but have not really felt that same difference in the 6 cylinder in my test drives.

the h6 is a great engine, specially w/ 2 turbos added ;0 but honestly we also have a 02 outback w/ that engine an when it was new it had some serious get up and go, now it has 180000 miles on it an still no serious engine problems. it would be a lot better w/ any transmission other than the stock 4 speed auto that they came w/ back in 02.

My boyfriends 3.0R Outback is a nice car. I like the tq band of it, its better then the turbo and the 3.0s are very well equipped. I also like the 5eat. Being a 2.5i 5speed driver, Its nice sometimes to have an auto and no clutch to push.

I've had my 3.0R LTD a little over a month now- only 1300 miles on the car.

Beat the EPA listed highway mileage, first highway trip - 26.8mpg (measured). Commuting, mixed with "around town" driving (not stop & go)- 21.8-22.3, again measured. I'm pleased with that.

I really like the features that come with the 3.0R beyond the base model Legacys.

Love the engine- electric motor smooth. Nice change from the L67 in my Regal and the K20z3 in my Civic.

Large oil sump is a plus; guaranteed longer oil change intervals and very likely longer engine life.

The car isn't really fast from a dig- I presume due to tall gearing and torque appropriated to a non-boosted 3.0l six. It will pull very nicely at highway speed, as you would expect from 240+ horsepower, especially if you use the S# selector.

Color?- matter of taste. I went with seacrest green; it's different. Car stays cooler in the sun (light exterior, light interior), and doesn't show dirt. Buy what you like, and can find.

Buy the 3.0R!

I ended up with the black 3.0R without the spoiler. Here are a few quick pictures:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Legacy/IMG_0338.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Legacy/IMG_0342.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Legacy/IMG_0351.jpg

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the Legacy (specifically 3.0R) can be used for light towing? ie. a Jet Ski Watercraft? I was under the assumption that an Outback hitch platform would fit a Legacy; but now that I'm down to the wire and about to buy the 3.0R- I want to be sure. I may change my mind.

I don't see why it shouldn't be able to.

Looking at what they state here in Sweden for max towing weight it's 2000kg (4400 pounds) for the 3.0 regardless of if it has the 5EAT or the 6MT.

So unless the jetski plus trailer weighs more than that you should be fine. But I would recommend a braked trailer.

453747.png

I would go with the 3.0R and not in black. Black looks great if you wash it every week, wax it every months, and claybar and rewax if every 6 months. That is alot of work though:)

We have a modified 2005 LGT LTD in black. It is abeautiful car it is just alot of work.

http://www.andersoncollectibles.com/images/andrew/Car/MY%2005%20LGT/at%20Edighiem%20with%20grill%20and%20lip%202%20(Small).jpg

I've seen 2700 pounds as the towing capacity spec for the Legacy (or 1/2 that with no brakes). The watercraft weighs just over 800. I was hoping not to have to deal with installing the trailer brake.

My main concern is if there is even a platform that fits the Legacy. I'll try calling a dealer service/parts dept; but I'm not expecting them to know.

The parts rep at the dealer said there is definitely a hitch platform for the Legacy and the 3.0R isn't excluded. <exhale> I'm just waiting to get clearance from the credit app. , then I'm headed across 4 states to get my new 3.0R (non-ltd).

Does anyone know if the Legacy (specifically 3.0R) can be used for light towing? ie. a Jet Ski Watercraft? I was under the assumption that an Outback hitch platform would fit a Legacy; but now that I'm down to the wire and about to buy the 3.0R- I want to be sure. I may change my mind.
Other than the height the drivetrain and brakes are the same as far as I know.

If so, the answer is no you can't tow a light trailer - you can tow a rather substantial one.....

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/429430320_6MoVJ-L.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Oops- now the dealer said they made a mistake and there is no platform available for the sedans- just the Outback and Legacy wagons (thru '07). He says there may be an aftermarket one available for the Sedans- checking now. If anyone here knows of one, please let me know.

Archived