DIY GT LTD Wagon?

Looking of tech info from the group. :D

I've been looking for a newer GT LTD wagon, w/o luck. Problems are:

• too many miles
  • too far away
  • car in salt land
  • other issues with car
  • all of the above... :eek:

I was looking for 2007, but almost settled on a very clean 2006. From what I understand, there was a change in the turbo & up pipe (no CAT) in 2007, and SI Drive was added. That with the minor issue of an unreplaceable stereo (2007 fwd has MP3 input), sort of NIXed a pre 2007 for me.

So my idea is to get a 2007-2009 Outback XT (more choices for sale) & get it as close to a GT LTD as possible. My assumptions are the LGT struts can replace the Outback's.

• The lower control arm appears to be the same...
  • Tire & wheel size are the same.
  • Are the gear ratios the same?
  • Are the springs different?
  • The struts I'm thinking of are the TUV approved, Koni Sport Kit, 1140-1671. Kit comes with 4 Sport struts & H & R springs for ~$1K. The result may actually be lower than stock GT, oops. :p

Remove the Outback badge & maybe replace it with Legacy GT, should keep people confused. ;)

Any input or corrections to my assumptions are appreciated...

Just get a GT. How low of miles are you looking for? Don't forget, these cars are almost a decade old..

If you really want a GT, you will need to resign yourself to having to drive to it and drive it home. Your best bet is on your own coast. Check out the Portland and Seattle area CL postings for some really good examples. Heck, I know of at least one 08 specb that's for sale right meow... Runs, drives. Will easily make a trouble free journey from Tacoma to Compton, just needs gas..!

Besides what's mentioned in the thread on lowering an outback to legacy height, what's often not mentioned is that the outback has 4.44 gears vs the legacys 4.11. This means that with the legacy size tires, your speedometer has a considerable error (reads about 1.1x actual speed). Besides this, not much is different, except for ugly paint colors. I honestly almost prefer the look of the lowered outback to the legacy though!

oops, I missed the tire size & brake size. the speedo can be corrected, brakes are a little more work... I'll check out the lowered Outback thread. Might just settle on that 2006 & update the up pipe.

thanks

Well, if you figure out how let me know! :lol:

Stuff like this: http://www.yellr.com/yb_home.htm

The lowered OBs look nice I think due to the fender flares. It should be noted that OP said LGT wagon, which is harder to find than a sedan...though I don't think I've seen any OBXTs in person.

The stereos can be replaced(JDM method...which is pricey), swap in a post 07 unit, or use the center cubby for an aftermarket stereo.

The stereo/head unit is replaceable if you're willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on the JDM climate controls (they are separate in JDM form) and a new double-DIN sized head unit. Either way, if an AUX port is all you're after, they aren't hard to wire in to the 2006.

Just FYI

Not that simple, the legacy/outback has four speed sensors which run into the ABS system. Do you get four boxes? Or do you try to pin down how the gauge cluster talks to the ecu?

Those speed sensors are independent of the vss. The abs system works by looking at the difference in wheel speeds, not the actual speeds(so the ratio should remain the same or at least be negligible). The box goes between the vss and ecu/gauge.

If you're talking about newer cars that use strictly ABS sensor, DCCD has a VSS processor too.

Not too far away, and a nice drive back to Cali:

https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/4739614307.html

Looking of tech info from the group. :D

I've been looking for a newer GT LTD wagon, w/o luck. Problems are:

• too many miles
  • too far away
  • car in salt land
  • other issues with car
  • all of the above... :eek:

I was looking for 2007, but almost settled on a very clean 2006. From what I understand, there was a change in the turbo & up pipe (no CAT) in 2007, and SI Drive was added. That with the minor issue of an unreplaceable stereo (2007 fwd has MP3 input), sort of NIXed a pre 2007 for me.

So my idea is to get a 2007-2009 Outback XT (more choices for sale) & get it as close to a GT LTD as possible. My assumptions are the LGT struts can replace the Outback's.

• The lower control arm appears to be the same...
  • Tire & wheel size are the same.
  • Are the gear ratios the same?
  • Are the springs different?
  • The struts I'm thinking of are the TUV approved, Koni Sport Kit, 1140-1671. Kit comes with 4 Sport struts & H & R springs for ~$1K. The result may actually be lower than stock GT, oops. :p

Remove the Outback badge & maybe replace it with Legacy GT, should keep people confused. ;)

Any input or corrections to my assumptions are appreciated...

If you have the money to put into an 07-09 OBXT I say go for it. I think it would be cool to see one lowered to LGT height. And Tris the wagon mentality is far superior to the sedan silliness. And about those 5th gen's, who buys those anyway?!?!

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

If you have the money to put into an 07-09 OBXT I say go for it. I think it would be cool to see one lowered to LGT height. And Tris the wagon mentality is far superior to the sedan silliness. And about those 5th gen's, who buys those anyway?!?!

I'm seriously considering one. I want new shit.

Yeah, but there's still a laundry list of things that either need replacing or more R&R, not the least of which is the suspension.

Did you know that the AP Stage 1 tune nears 300/300 on the 5th gens?

That's why.

Get a set of Koni's and H&R's in the spring when they go on sale like they do every year. I put them on my wagon this past spring and they have been awesome! I have a whiteline RSB coming later this week and then I'm hoping that will satisfy my mod addiction for awhile so I don't make myself broke.

Really!?!?!?!? That's insane! What does stage 2 get you to?

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Hard to say, apparently there's only shorty DPs and some basic bolt-ons for the 5th Gens. Until the STi goes low-mount turbo (next gen, IIRC) there won't be a whole lot of mods.

Don't tell me you're bored of your car already.

Archived