LegacyGT.com

STI UTEC base map for LGT

Autophysics

You might try talking to some of the other UTEC tuners out there. I know that PDXtuning has done some work with the Legacy GT but I think they've only done ECUtek reflashes so far. I considered getting a UTEC and having them tune it, but I want to raise the redline and will need a reflash to do that.

I have an STI UTEC and want to use it on the LGT however TurboXS doesn't have a LGT base map out yet, therefore I haven't installed the UTEC.

Should I just install it and tune from the STI base map? Anyone have experience with this? If so I'd like to share maps.

The guys at http://www.fastwrx.com are working on this as we speak. You can directly plug it in and run the UTEC, but you will have to come up with your own map since there is no base map made (ah the beauty of standalone management). If you have a wideband O2, a boost gauge, EGT, then you are pretty much set to do your own tuning (if you know how to go about it).

Keefe

Keefe

There are some comments about the ZT-2 on Nasioc and people seem pretty happy. I was looking at it because of the ability to integrate EGT and Boost into the same display as AFR and the display's relatively compact size. Price ain't bad either.

PDX has an excellent UTEC tuning guide at http://www.pdxtuning.com/utec_tune_guide/UTEC_Quick_Guide_12_02_2004-notes.pdf which gives some excellent tips whether or not you use the UTEC - including suggested spark plug gap. It also documents the UTEC's ability to raise the rev limiter to up to 8000rpm for those who have beefed up their stock internals appropriately.

I would consider the TUNA but on wrxhackers they have a neat little utility some are working on that integrates the ZT2 data with the UTEC data on the same log. See this thread http://www.wrxhackers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2686

Is the TUNA integration that much better? It would be great if someone could write an auto-tune software that would look at the logs and use smart algorithms to automatically produce the suggested map changes. Doesn't seem to be impossible given the vast amount of knowledge in this community.

I've also heard rumors (vapor?) of some great features in the next software revision of the UTEC, however I have not been able to find any information on what those new features are!

Rob,

Thanks for the clarification, but this raises another question (sorry!) OLF is somewhat of a mystery to me. OLF seems to be set ON by default on the most recent UTEC. My basic understanding only from reading the manuals and guides (haven't USED the UTEC yet) is that OLF gives you full mapped fuel control vs offset map fuel control, and the engine computer can no longer trim the fuel control over time (for better or worse). In both cases the car is running on open loop mode, and the issue is whether the open loop mode goes though the stock ecu and then modified by the utec, or just the utec "stand-alone" mode without stock ecu processing.

In a nutshell, is there any downside to leaving OLF on, presuming you have the proper stuff to tune in the first place?

That is pretty close. In open loop fueling (OLF) the UTEC takes over after a user programable crossover point based on throttle position; usually set at 25%.

There is plenty of risk if you don't have it set up right :), if you have it set right then it is a decent way to go -thought here is lots of controversy on this. A lot of oeople program right t the edge and then have problems, with a conservative tune it should be a good compromise. Do a search on Naisoc for a lot of disussion of how UTEC handles change in temperatures (or doesn't :) )

Keefe,

Are you saying that fastwrx are working on a Legacy map for you? BTW got my subiesport yesterday and saw your car - awesome!

I don't have WB yet, but is http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm good? It can also integrate boost and EGT monitoring.

I talked to MachV about my EM concerns and such (in favor of the UTEC). Dan (MachV) has an STi UTEC just sitting there.. they will be working on making a base map off of his very own GT so that they can establish a base map that TurboXS can approve and use to sell as a GT base map. Everything is still a working progress.

I never heard of that brand before, although it's cheaper than the LM-1 (which my entire race team uses)

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

I am sure it's the same Bosch O2 sensor. Which ever one you feel comfortable using it with, they all do the same thing, just that one will differ in additional inputs and functions.

Keefe

Keefe

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived