LegacyGT.com

Yellow headlights?

CFar

Question 1: Im not sure why Im asking this, but out of curiousity, are there any yellow headlight covers?

Pro: I think the connection, though distant....very....distant, between GT class cars in Le Mans which require yellow headlight covers is interesting. how it would look is another story.

Con: I could like it, but I could see my wife putting on the devil face :icon_evil

Question 2: With the advent of HID xenon technology burning blue, how much light would be emitted by other forms of lighting such as mercury or sodium found on street lights which tend to "burn" orange or yellow?

Chris

Con: I could like it, but I could see my wife putting on the devil face :icon_evil
Hahahaha, just do what I do when I'm questioned about mods I have done to the car I explain what safety function they employ. Your want of the yellow lights are for safety in shitty weather, the yellow bulbs help for foggy and rainy weather, so there you have it justification for your yellow lights. Tell the wife you are making the car safer for the both of you and that you would hate to see her have an accident in crappy weather if you could help prevent it, hence the lights :D

Oh and it might get you some nookie too :D

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Question 1: Im not sure why Im asking this, but out of curiousity, are there any yellow headlight covers?

Of course there are ;)

http://www.hotsubarus.com/ProductImages/hotsubarus/legacy%20yellowhead.jpg

If you live where it snows - snow is a great excuse ;0

LOL California hmm, all sorts of aftermarket parts are developed and sold there but next to none are legal there. Heck you can't even put useful window tint on your windows. You would have to check your local laws and decide for yourself which if any laws you are going to skirt. Everybody reading this breaks a bunch of laws everyday, it is up to you to choose which ones you break, which ones you bend, and which ones you follow. Good luck.

Oh, and they also come in a clear version to help keep you lights from turning into sea glass while keeping a low profile.

Pro: I think the connection, though distant....very....distant, between GT class cars in Le Mans which require yellow headlight covers is interesting. how it would look is another story.

Question 2: With the advent of HID xenon technology burning blue, how much light would be emitted by other forms of lighting such as mercury or sodium found on street lights which tend to "burn" orange or yellow?

Chris

Answer #1: Yes, Roadblocker makes them.. they can come in yellow, tinted, or clear. Yes, they are for GT class designations. Not sure what the laws are for yellow covers on public cars, but yes, it's been done by many.. here's one of Racecomp Sponsored cars with the yellow headlight covers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/stillwill/Myles%20pics/RCE%20Crew%201/DSCN1210.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/stillwill/Myles%20pics/RCE%20Crew%201/DSCN1211.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/stillwill/Myles%20pics/RCE%20Crew%201/DSCN1217.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/stillwill/Myles%20pics/RCE%20Crew%201/DSCN1230.jpg

Pro: Looks good on certain color cars, such as white and black, and other BOLD colors like red and blue.

Con: May get you pulled over, headlight bulbs are the better choice, you can get away with by telling the cop that it came that way as the "all weather package" with the normal headlights and not the fancy HID option.

Answer #2: HID technology extended their range of Kelvin as low as 3000k (which emits yellow). It's not a burn, it's the frequency in visable color lighting that you are seeing. The output of the HIDs should still have the same amount of lumens, it's the color that your eye is picking up that is standing out more (think contrast). Most people would offer to get a whiter white.. when you start getting into the blue and purple range, it is fading out of the "sweetspot" of the visable light spectrum.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7753/1056/1600/light%20spectrum.jpg

In respect, HID is also an arc of electricity that is charging Xenon gas (I think it's the last noble gas on the chart). It's very stable and dense (meaning you would need a lot of energy to "bump start" the electrons to free themselves and move about) and takes bit of warm up time to get the gas to move in such a fashion to produce its light. Other bulbs that are halogen based are still using a filament (thin piece of wire usually made of tungsten) that is heated up to excite the less stable and lighter gases such as sodium, neon, etc. Two different worlds, but still doing the same thing.. just one is using a larger amounts of 'ingredients' to produce 'more of the product'.

Keefe

LOL California hmm, all sorts of aftermarket parts are developed and sold there but next to none are legal there. Heck you can't even put useful window tint on your windows. You would have to check your local laws and decide for yourself which if any laws you are going to skirt. Everybody reading this breaks a bunch of laws everyday, it is up to you to choose which ones you break, which ones you bend, and which ones you follow. Good luck.

Oh, and they also come in a clear version to help keep you lights from turning into sea glass while keeping a low profile.

NooooOoOoOoOOoOoOOO !! why did i have to live in cali!?!!?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that there are Yellow H7 bulbs made by many companies, but has anyone looked into extremely low temp HID bulbs in the 3000k-3500k range for our headlights?

I'm not thinking pure yellow, but something better, than the glare on the road that most HID's can create in foul weather conditions...

Just less blue (yes I know that 4300K is not really all that blue),

but compared to the yellow and Ion bulbs that we are using for our fog lamps,

I just wonder how well it would work, and what possibilities are.

Just a thought...

Gunner out!

• 2 months later...
most are illegal unless it's clear, that's why you run yellow bulbs instead.

I am running with film on my fogs. My headlights were 6000W Banzai's but two bulbs have burned out in 6 months. I am sending them back to Banzai to have them replace the whole package. But I guess i was wondering what it might be light to run the rockblocker film over the headlight cover...

bleh, yellow lights are annoying as hell when they're comin at you
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Im comin right at ya ;)

yellow headlights = GT classification differences, plus it's high in contrast just like shooters glasses, easier to see.

yea I know dude but it's annoying as hell & distracting to all the other drivers so right there it makes it unsafe. It's also pretty unnecessary. I've never been driving in bad weather & said to myself "damit I wish I had yellow instead" 99% of the driving population seems to make do with regular white headlights instead of blinding each other with yellow.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

go to decalfx.com they have headlight cover films. i got the smoke on my OBP lgt they look great when the car is off but almost clear when the lights are on. got them on front and rear. they also have blue yellow and one other color check them out. if you live in boston area i can tell you were to pick them up too. they shipp all over the usa.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

yea I know dude but it's annoying as hell & distracting to all the other drivers so right there it makes it unsafe. It's also pretty unnecessary. I've never been driving in bad weather & said to myself "damit I wish I had yellow instead" 99% of the driving population seems to make do with regular white headlights instead of blinding each other with yellow.

then dont focus at looking at yellow lights and keep looking at the road ;) I dont see it anything different than rubber-necking of people getting distracted of a car accident that already has pulled over on the side of the road.. people still look and get distracted something that doesnt have anything to do with them.

in my opinion, it does the job, at least you know when Im coming at ya!

just because we make due with what we got doesnt mean we can't change it for the better, this would explain all the modding that goes on in the car industry, if we can change something to better ourselves without penalty, we'll do it ;)

Keefe

Archived