LegacyGT.com

smudged new head gasket

Hello. Ok, yes its a real pain replacing head gaskets while the engine is in the car. I destroyed the driver side first try. The second try i had to take the head back out because i couldnt get the top right bolt in. The smudge is right above the bottom right hole. It isnt very deep. Should i replace this gasket too? I already torqued it down thinking it was ok, but now im paranoid. Will i have to replace my new head bolts too............? omg.

UPDATE, of so it looks like the head bolts are a torque once and throw away.

im going to take my chances with the smudge.

I don't understand the "smudge" part. What kind and brand of headgaskets are you trying to use? I highly suggest you only use OEM headgaskets and never use those composite headgaskets. Which are the cheap ones you get in those aftermarket gasket sets. Also which engine is this for?

lots of debate about reusing the bolts but mine have been fine for over a year after reuse.

a subaru tech told me "clean the s*%# out of them and you'll be fine"

the most important thing is the proper torque sequence

The problem with head bolts boils down to bolt stretch. Now on a turbo engine I would never reuse OEM head bolts. A low power NA engine you in some cases can get away with it. Personally on my own vehicles or if I am fixing family or friends vehicles I would never reuse head bolts. It's cheap insurance. I know for a fact you can reuse Arp head studs/bolts, long as their wasn't some serious problem. Through my 15 years of fixing vehicles I know almost every American manufacturer recommends replacing head bolts where Euro and Japanese manufacturers FSM will state to check for bolt stretch and reuse if within specs. They use better metals when making their fasteners.

I have 94 legacy 2.2

Trying out felpro head gaskets. Trying to save money. I have read that the felpro gaskets are fine. But probably not as good as the OEM.

I followed torque sequence.

When replacing the cylinder heads i found that rubber bands around the head bolts to keep them from sliding back and forth was a great trick.

When replacing the cylinder heads i found that rubber bands around the head bolts to keep them from sliding back and forth was a great trick.

I've been a mechanic for over 15 years and I have no idea what your talking about? Lol.

When replacing headgaskets while the engine is still installed you place the headgaskets in position, then install the cylinder head and install a center head bolt and tighten the bolt just enough to secure the head. Then install the rest and start the torque sequence. It helps to have a air ratchet with socket ready to rock so your not fumbling around or even a friend to hold the cylinder head.

the felpro gaskets, by now, are every bit as good as subaru.

they are probably made by the same company making the subaru gaskets.

so use them.

but there is a ''time lag'' between subaru making a design change and then felpro making the same update.

if for no other reason,

they want to sell all of the old stock and not throw it away.

and i seriously doubt felpro is doing any research and development work,

they are simply reverse engineering a subaru gasket.

or buying them wholesale from the same manufacturer.

so back when subaru first recognized that there was a head gasket design problem and '' updated'' them,

it took felpro some time to get up to speed, a year or more maybe.

and in that time period,

felpro got a bad reputation as not being as good as subaru.

when you buy suabru, you KNOW you are getting the latest design and quality,

unless the dealer has old stock on the shelves.

besides, if you buy the suabru gaskets from an online dealer,

or wholesale from your local dealer,

there is not much of a price difference with felpro.

in fact, felpro from the local parts store may cost more.

Update: The car is all back together and running good! I could hear what i think was the lifters chatter a little after i first started, Then the sound went away. I guess it just took time for the oil to work its way in that area.

Spooln. They are composite gaskets, $24 at autozone. Also, the head cylinder bolts are 8" long. You cant put some in with the head already in place, not enough clearance. You have to put the heads with some of the bolts at the same time, this is where it can be a pain and you have a chance of destroying gasket.

Installing cylinder heads with engine in car,

Passenger and driver side: put the bottom 3 head bolts in and 1 top head bolt (top hole towards the rear of car) in the cylinder head (the top center and top bolt towards the front are left out). Wrap rubber band around top bolt so it cant slide past being flush with mating surface. Put rubber band around bottom 3 head bolts to hold in place.

While installing, tilt cylinder head so you angle mating surface down a little, cam side up a little. Have someone help guide the bolts through the gasket and put head in place. Install the rest of the head bolts and follow torque sequence. If you dont understand this, try installing cylinder head with out the gasket to see head bolt clearance issues.

Archived