LegacyGT.com

Rating of Houston Subaru dealers?

kflow

I will be buying a Legacy GT in the near future and was wanting an opinion on Houston area dealers. I have only been to West Houston Subaru for a test drive. How does the overall buying/owning experience compare amongst dealers.

I never went out to West Houston myself, so I can't give an opinion on them. The Gillman dealers seemed a little flakey to me, and they weren't exactly up front about their inventory. I'd suggest McRee Subaru. It's a bit of a drive as it's down in Dickinson, but they were the most competent and knowledgeable about their cars. I bought my car from them earlier this month, and I have to say it was actually a pleasant experience.

We had a horrible experience at West Houston, but it might have been diff. for others. Gillman southwest is a large dealership, but we've pretty much always had a good experience. We've bought 4 Subaru's from them in the past 15 years. They sales guys are always changing up except for a couple of the guys. David Warda? I think it is, is a good guy. He's the lead sales guy or soemthing there now. The parts/service dept. guys are awesome there. I've always heard good things about McRee. THey even hosted a shop day:icon_surp

McRee in Dickinson (south of Houston) is my preference. They were very no nonsense in their approach and pricing was excellent. I purchased my '05 LGT and wife's '04 FXT from Barry Waxman at McRee. McRee also sponsored a recent shop day in their garage and has a couple of members on the board. I like to support dealers that support the enthusiast community.

West Houston is where I purchased my '02 WRX. Fair experience, but nothing exceptional. They previously had a couple of excellent salesmen but both have left the company. West Houston gave me a bit of the run around on pricing, but then again my experience was 4 years ago.

The salesmen at Gillman South were very shady and disrespectful. They asked to evaluate my potential trade-in ('93 RX-7) on the lot only, so I gave them my keys. They took my car on a beat the hell out of it joyride in the rain on city streets. I heard it and ran out of the salesman's office. Heard them hit the rev limiter in 1st - 3rd (~80mph) in a 30mph zone. Gillman South will never get any of my business.

I have no experience with Gillman North. Based on my experience with Gillman South I doubt they'll see any business from me.

McRee in Dickinson (south of Houston) is my preference. They were very no nonsense in their approach and pricing was excellent. I purchased my '05 LGT and wife's '04 FXT from Barry Waxman at McRee. McRee also sponsored a recent shop day in their garage and has a couple of members on the board. I like to support dealers that support the enthusiast community.

I bought mine from Barry as well. He's very up front about about everything, and he will give you a good deal before you ever drive out there. I suggest contacting him through McRee's website. He got back to me with a competitive quote, on paper, in the same day. We picked up my car later that week.

Thanks for the replies. Based on your feedback I will look at McRee. It's just such a long haul for me being in Katy.

hey Kflow,

barry waxman at mcree subaru here. thank to all for da subie luuuuv. kev, sorry man, yer too damn far away:icon_frow Kflow, you can call me anytime at 281-935-0760 or email at bwaxman@mcreesubaru.com. i'm about to PM ya as well

thanks again to everyone for the kind remarks

• 3 weeks later...
the only time i don't/can't deal is if there is a big green sticker on it that says manager special...if you are talking about the 05 regal blue manual we've got, i would have hoped you'd tell everyone that it was priced $2000 below invoice, instead of making it look like i wouldn't budge off sticker. as everyone here knows, i'm pretty realistic with pricing. regardless, it's impossible to please everyone all the time. that's just life, right? care to share the driveout price before trade with us?

the only time i don't/can't deal is if there is a big green sticker on it that says manager special...if you are talking about the 05 regal blue manual we've got, i would have hoped you'd tell everyone that it was priced $2000 below invoice, instead of making it look like i wouldn't budge off sticker. as everyone here knows, i'm pretty realistic with pricing. regardless, it's impossible to please everyone all the time. that's just life, right? care to share the driveout price before trade with us?

:icon_surp 2000 below INVOICE?! I shoulda waited a year and got a GT...:icon_neut

Archived