LegacyGT.com

weirdness after drained battery

So I left my car with girlfriend during a long trip (yeah, bad idea) and she accidentally turned on the parking lights using the override button on top of the steering column. Then left the car for some days. So not a nearly-dead battery, but a COMPLETELY dead one. Her son helped her figure out the switch and jump it.

Flew home last night and saw some weird stuff. Check-engine light was on, and cruise indicator light was blinking and cruise non-functional. After a couple of ignition off/on cycles, this went away, and I figured it was just some effect from the dead battery. But now it's happening again today, and off/on cycles don't seem to help, at least not yet. The other thing is, it seems to idle rough and it's died a couple times when coming to a stop.

I'd be appreciative of any suggestions as to what could be going on !

Ok, I have searched and see that blinking cruise light is normal with check-engine light.

And that I should just go have the code read.

Still, I wonder if the drained battery points at anything. Or maybe the same "factor" that caused the drained battery also caused the gas cap to not get tightened properly (if you know what I mean ...)

I had the same problem on my friend's 2010 leggy after installing a set of HIDs.

Try resetting the car's computer, that's how I fixed her's.

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 10 seconds then reconnect.

You could also try driving it around at speed (60+) for a few minutes, because it could be that the computer just needs to re-learn everything. Hope this helps :)

I disconnected the battery for awhile and I re-checked the tightness of the gasoline cap. The check-engine light (and blinking cruise light) seem like they may be gone for good (crossing fingers ...)

But the stalling when coming to a stop seems to be as bad or worse. I am trickle-charging the battery overnight, but I'm not optimistic, especially as it is a 2-year old Optima YellowTop.

Check your battery connections for corrosion or any breaks.

Nah, no corrosion, since the battery cannot leak (AGC technology, supposedly can be mounted upside-down).

Did you try driving it around for a few miles?

I have driven it a few miles since the CEL stayed off, and I think it might be getting better.

Boys, don't let your girlfriend drive your car ... ;)

The battery needs to be recharged, the trickle charger should help, but the alternator should be charging the battery. The longer you let the car idle or drive it, the more it will recharge the battery. I have a funny feeling the yellow top may take a while to recharge, esp with a trickle charger.

It is running fine now. No more CEL and stalling has stopped.

The funny thing is, I had one of those coolers plugged in for maybe

4-5 hours (with the car not running) yesterday. Mine draws about

4 amps. But I think it couldn't hurt to attach the trickle charger

again.

Archived