LegacyGT.com

Grinding Sound Front of Engine Large Pulley

Just got my car back from the dealership after replacing the steering rack and fixing a leaking gas smell for which they had to remove the intake manifold. Drove the car home, no problems. Next morning, started it up and there's a very loud grinding sound coming from the front of the engine from what seems like the large pulley (crank pulley?). I also noticed that my steering is more difficult to operate after first starting the car and seems to get easier than normal randomly. Idle has always been a tiny bit lumpy.Car is otherwise running fine, no oil consumption and oil is where it should be. I have 72,000 miles and the last major regular service was at 60K. Spark plugs have been replaced at 65K. It is a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD.

The main pulley has been known to de-laminate. It basically has a rubber ring between two steel pieces to reduce accessory "noise" to the crankshaft. It sounds like a good excuse for a lightweight version. I can't imagine why the dealership would need to remove the pulley for steering work, but it's also possible it is loose for some reason.

I'm going to drop in the Perrin pulley this weekend anyway, maybe that'll fix it. Mechanic down the street said the bearings in the idler pulley sound shot or my water pump is on it's way out. He said the timing belt should be good... but might go about replacing that if I can manage it on my own with regular tools and instructions. Do they replace that at 60K?

The idler pulley on the A/C belt? Thats an as needed item, no replacement interval. It shouldn't take you more than half an hour if you have the right tools. If it's one of the ones on the timing belt that's a bit more work. With the steering issues I would bet on the Power steering pump being the problem, if it's not the main pulley. It may have some air in the lines from being serviced, or might be going bad.

Also, this pulley seems to be "wobbling" when compared the other pulleys.

replace it. mine came apart. part of the pulley went into the timing belt case and the belt came off the a/c pulley and took out the sensor next to it. the sensor is part of the compressor. i needed a new compressor.

Got the new light pulley in today. Will install this weekend and report. If the sound doesn't go away I'm going to the range with my shot gun and shooting at 11x17" print outs of my car. Damn thing has not been "Japanese reliable". :( If it doesn't work, I suspect my power steering pump next.

Took it apart. Idler pulley is grinding, locking up. Will post a full repair video. Not that it's that hard, thankfully. Might just go all out and do the timing belt/pump/etc. but only have 72,000 miles and really don't want to drop the change. We'll see. Anyway, also the belts were garbage so those are getting replaced. Here's the parts:

Gates K040332 Multi V-Groove Belt

Gates K050344 Multi V-Groove Belt

Gates 38030 New Idler Pulley

Got them all off of Amazon.com for less (and w/free shipping) than anywhere else.

the dealership may have not bled the steering hyd system fully when they did the rack .

w/ the car at idle turn the wheel to full lock & hold lightly at lock for a few seconds , turn wheel other way , repeat , repeat , repeat , repeat , repeat , repeat , repeat , repeat , see where i'm going w/ this ?

be sure to check the power steering fluid level before & after , let it sit a few hrs for the bubbles to rise to top & check it again .

sounds like p/s pump noise to me ..........................

Archived