LegacyGT.com

Oil dripping in front of catalytic converter

I have a 96 Legacy station wagon n/a 2.2 l motor. I have recently noticed a large amount of oil dripping from the exhaust heat shield right above the catalytic converter. I've check in front and back of each head of the motor and found no major oil leaks. I've looked below where the engine and transmission meets and still no oil leaks, but i see a large amount of oil leak dripping from the top of the heat shield near the front of the catalytic converter. Any thoughts?

IMG00148-20120114-1553.thumb.jpg.b928fe09d5f69b51af7467617e80b54a.jpg

Well first thing, i'd clean it off real good and then just watch it closely to see where it's coming from. Then you make your move from there. If it's towards the back, i'd guess the rear main seal; right where the engine meets the tranny.

I have a '97 Outback Wagon(pretty much the same thing as what you have) and i had a ton of oil leaks & just got them all done, one major leak which happened to be the rear seal...i didn't even do that because i don't have time to pull the motor(or drop the tranny) lol but i fixed all of the other ones

Archived