LegacyGT.com

Debating snow tire size

So i'm trying to get snow tires for my 05 legacy gt, stock tire size is 215 45 17, the problem is that snow tires at least 20 % more expensive compared to let say 205 50 17 or 225 50 17.

I'm just wondering if i'll be ok with using different tire size on my car +5 on hight and + - 10 on width.

Thanks

My tire options:

Hankook Ipike W409

Continental Extreme winter contact

General Altimax

Maybe bridgestone blizzak :rolleyes: (depends on price)

Continentals from tirerack

Size: 215/45R17

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Serv. Desc: 87T

UTQG: None Price: $150.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: In Stock

Estimated Arrival: Get Estimate

Same tire different size

Size: 205/50R17

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Serv. Desc: 93T

Load Range: XL

UTQG: None Price: $132.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: In Stock

Estimated Arrival: Get Estimate

As long as the 205's have the load rating to handle the car, I'd go with those.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm running 205 45 17 blizzak lm25 on a 7.5 in rim looks fine just a PITA if your doing mounting yourself
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

As long as the 205's have the load rating to handle the car, I'd go with those.

What he said...!

If your looking for snow performance, which you should be living there the 205's will be awesome in the snow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cool, i guess i will do than Continental Extreme Winter Contact 205 50 17 load is 91T

I drove subarus for last 4 years, huge difference with snow tire, just never had legacy before, will see how it does on snow and ice :)))

Thanks for your replies guys

• 5 years later...

Just felt like putting this information somewhere.

05 LGT Wagon (half 0.5" saggy butt lift spacers in rear), on stock suspension.

225/50/17 winter tires fit... BARELY, the tires brand new would have less than (1/8") in terms of horizontal clearance between the strut hat.

These fit better on spec B model due to the bilstein setup from factory. I would NOT recommend going this big unless you get them for free... mainly because if you're a race car, I would not be surprised if they rub too much and shred eventually.

I like to run 225's on both car for the winter, just because I don't want to give up dry performance. The wagon does have 225/50-17 but I hate those tires, Nokian WR G3's, they suck as a dry weather tire.

The AWD system is awesome so I don't feel I'm loosing much snow performance for the few day's I need them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Spend the extra dollar and get studded if they're legal. For your car I would get the 205/50/17s. A low profile snow tire is almost an oxymoron and a bit counter-productive. Winter tires aren't noteworthy for their handling.

These are 225/55/17s on my LLBean

Nhr9l0h.jpg

M9cG0cz.jpg

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I was riding on 215/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzaks on my stock rims. The car was an absolute tank in the snow. Iv got a nice pic of what it looks like to get out of a 4 foot snow drift (with just cleaning out around the front door enough to open it).

205/50R17 Nokian Hakka R2s are overkill, but very fun to drive on. Also great gas mileage. I haven't tried 55 series, but I have my doubts there would be enough room.

Refer to Xenonk's guide when in doubt: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-closed-4426.html

Archived