LegacyGT.com

Kartboy end link kit (front and rear)

sooberoo

First, I have a 2005 legacy GT with a JDM GT Bilstein suspension (Rev.C?). Original front sway bar, cobb rear sway and reinforcement brackets and stock end links.

I've had some issues with clunking and creaking in the rear and my shop made some adjustments but mentioned that the end links were developing some play in them.

In response I purchased the Kartboy end link kit that contains front and rear dog bones and mounting hardware. The bag containing the front dog bones included four spacers (bigger than washers). There were no instructions or pictures. The install links from the kartboy website while helpful were for a Forester XT, so unknown if the same applies for the Legacy GT

I was wondering if anyone could post some pictures of the Kartboy front and rear end links installed, specifically pictures showing where the darn spacers go?

Thanks!

http://www.fastwrx.com/kabialdr.html:

Kartboy Endlink Spacers http://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gifThese spacers are required when using Kartboy front endlinks with Whiteline front anti-roll bars. Set of 4.

They are for the front sway bar (fsb). I have a Perrin 22mm fsb and I did not use them.

Google is your friend ;)

I've had Kartboy endlinks three times. The most recent time I installed them (a little over a week ago) I didn't use the spacers and I have Whiteline sway bars. You'll see it's damn near impossible to use the spacers once you're under the car. Just make sure you're doing the install while the suspension is under load. Don't learn the hard way like I did :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/therectifier1616/IMG_20110228_124404.jpg

Thanks for the replies and photographs. I did come across the thread about the Whitelines requiring the spacers late last night, well after the fact.

The vendor I purchased the end link kit from (Touge Tuning) also provided me with comment this morning that the spacers would not be needed as I am running the stock front sway bar.

I am kinda pi$$ed with my garage though. The shop has conducted some great work for me in the past and I have never had any complaints about them. You'd think that they would have thought that they should have loaded the suspension for the install (That's what had to be done during during the suspension install on my Miata). Their boss is away on holiday so I am sure that the monkeys are all screwing the pooch until he returns. Either that or the owner is the brain trust over there.....

I may dig out the ramps and give this a shot myself. But now that I have said that, all the bolts that I would need to access have probably magically rusted tight so that I won't be able to budge them with my tools at hand (sort of a Murphy's Law thing with me:lol:)

Sorry, tending to drift off topic. Again thanks to all for your advice and happy motoring!

Cheers!

I may dig out the ramps and give this a shot myself. But now that I have said that, all the bolts that I would need to access have probably magically rusted tight so that I won't be able to budge them with my tools at hand (sort of a Murphy's Law thing with me:lol:)

Sorry, tending to drift off topic. Again thanks to all for your advice and happy motoring!

Cheers!

Before you get under your car, I suggest getting/borrowing a sawzall to cut off the stock endlinks. Trust me. It's not worth the cursing, sweating, back-cramping and scraping of the knuckles :spin:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

In retrospect... The sawzall would have worked better cutting the shaft on the endlink instead of the dremel on the nut, but now I have acquired new tools :lol: !

PBlaster should be a requisite for any work under the car as well. Great stuff. Use liberally.

Why are they so difficult to undo? These cars are not THAT old....

I've got a nice milwaukee sawzall if the going gets tough, but they are still physically attached throug the eyehole of the sway bar...?

I didn't have any trouble at all on the nuts until the front right. It just wasn't meant to be :lol: I also was using a 12-point socket and not a 6-point like I should have been :rolleyes: Me not smart at 11pm (Was using a 1/2" ratchet but didn't think to use my adapter to get the 3/8" 6 point on)

Yeah, mine were bad. The front allen wrench holes stripped pretty quick and I had to clamp vice grips on the back side to keep the bolts from spinning. What engineer thought that design would work? Lot of PB Blaster was used. Rears were hella tight too, but at least there was a wrench fitting on the them.

I took a break and contemplated cutting them off or heating up the nuts, but in the end I just wrenched them off.

My rears weren't bad at all, I still have both of them intact and in my trunk. The fronts, however, were a bitch and a half. Like the others said, my allen slots stripped PDQ and I didn't have a sawzall. So I gave up, left them loose (I couldn't even re-tighten them) and brought it over to AZP for them to cut the bastards off.

It was very satisfying and a little unnerving watching them take a huge electric saw to my car :lol:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Well I ended up installing the links myself, with the car sitting on ramps to load the suspension.

Getting the old links off was a complete beotch! Had to saw off one of the rears and of course I only have a dremel tool..... Fifteen of those wee cutting blades later and I could have purchased a cheapo grinder or sawsall. I definitely recommend using the allen wrench to take off the fronts.

The new kartboy links went in with minimum effort once the battle with the stock links was over. Torqued them all to 35 and went for a drive. Turn in is wicked quick, but the best news is that the rear end clunking is gone! I am in love with my car again!

Thanks to everyone for their advice and pictures.

Cheers!

DO NOT JUST GET bolts and washers. If you do MAKE sure that the washers are the same size as the rubber bushing (the outer diameter) If they aren't then you risk your bolt putting extra strain on the washer and eventually piercing the bushing.

Archived