LegacyGT.com

oddest radio problem

ssaldana

The weirdest thing happened today. I pumped a full tank of gas, got in the car, started it and the radio is out. All the amber lights are lit up but no display on the radio and auto climate control. This lasted for 2 minutes while I pushed every button to try to turn it on. Eventually I pushed the eject button on the CD Changer and every thing came to life. Has anyone experienced this problem? My car is perfectly fine now but I was kind of freaking out there :o

i had something like that happen, started the car in a parking lot, no climate, or radio. i stopped shut it off, started again, and everything was fine. Someone suggested checking a memory fuse...haven't had any problems since though, so no need to... i wouldn't worry...

Heh, if you think that is weird.... A few days after I got my car, I was turning into my kid's daycare. As I downshifted, the engine revved higher, and the radio VOLUME went from around 9 down to 2 and then back to 9. Very freaky, I thought for sure the aliens were responsible.

I have had a few weird occurances with my radio as well. This has happened maybe three times. I would take a long turn on an on/off ramp and the stereo would switch from fm to cd or vice versa. It only happens when I take the turn at fairly high speeds(over 45mph). Has this happened to anyone else?

• 8 months later...
okay the problem is back, but instead I figured waiting overnight would bring life back to the display of my climate control and radio. Unfortunately this was not the case. There is no radio or climate display although both still function normally, I just have to guess my presets and do a trial and error on the climate. Can anyone help me here? I need some ideas before I take this car to the local dealership.

Whoa, that same exact thing happened to me a while back, and pushing the eject button brought everything back to life. Has only happened once though, and I haven't been able to reproduce (nor have I tried) that problem. As I recall, it happened after shutting off the car for about 10min, then when starting it back up I turned on the radio and nothing happened, no radio or climate control display. None of the buttons would do anything as I recall, until hitting the eject button, thinking that I'd at least try to get the CD's out of there before taking it in, but hitting the eject button brought everything back. Have not seen this problem since. I don't know if it was an issue with having the radio on when shutting off the engine, or being turned off for a specific length of time, or turning on the radio immediately starting the engine, not sure how I got the radio/CC display into that state.

A week ago I was at the dealership getting some parts, and ended up talking to the guy that sold me the car. My mother fell in love with my car, and wants an LGT wagon. He says not to get one because of electrical problems - the radio light would just shut off randomly. I walk out and think "huh...good thing I didn't get a wagon myself." Well, last night the radio light went out. I didn't try the HVAC - it was nice enough out. Functionally, everything worked as it should have. Just no light. Tried the restart with no luck. This morning I hop in the car, and everything's fine again. If it were any other car, I'd just tear out the radio and put something nice in, but since the new trend is to put in impossible-to-upgrade radios, that's not going to happen. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed with the rest of you for now...

Last weekend I had the car turn up the volume on me. We were driving along and the music just kept getting louder. It stopped when I manually turned the knob down to a sane level.

• 2 months later...
I was driving to work this morning and the radio and temp lights started flashing. If I turned them to the brightest mode, they were fine. When I went back to normal, intermittant flashing like a flourescent light about to go out. I turned the climate controls and blower off, nothing. I tried it again 2 minutes later and everything went back to normal. Is it worth hauling it back into the dealer or should I just wait for it to happen again?

[quote name='ih8vtec13']I have had some radio freakynes like the volume changing and display flashing, once in a while.[/QUOTE] Never had this happen except after picking my car up after some warranty work on my clutch. I assume they disconnected the battery during the work as I had to redo my station presets. It only happened once and I hope it doesn't return. Stupid gremlins!

• 2 months later...
Came across this thread looking to see if anyone had and answer y my, radio and my climate control display have gone out. It happened to me a little while ago and just once. After I shut the car off and started it up again it was back so didn't think much of it. But now, a few weeks later, both displays have gone out, permanently!! Radio luckily is still working - for now. Don't know what the hell station it is, but its coming in, and who knows when that luck'll run out... Anyone find a real permanent fix, or if Subaru has addressed any of these radio issues?

Talked to my service manager about this the last time I was there, she hates the Automatic climate control too. They have found that in most cases it's the key in the ignition switch. That's why when you move the key everthing is fine, in most cases.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='ssaldana']The weirdest thing happened today. I pumped a full tank of gas, got in the car, started it and the radio is out. All the amber lights are lit up but no display on the radio and auto climate control. This lasted for 2 minutes while I pushed every button to try to turn it on. Eventually I pushed the eject button on the CD Changer and every thing came to life. Has anyone experienced this problem? My car is perfectly fine now but I was kind of freaking out there :o[/QUOTE] Same thing happened to me once and fixed it the same way. That was about a month ago and hasn't happened again yet.

[quote name='nu8reed']I have had a few weird occurances with my radio as well. This has happened maybe three times. I would take a long turn on an on/off ramp and the stereo would switch from fm to cd or vice versa. It only happens when I take the turn at fairly high speeds(over 45mph). Has this happened to anyone else?[/quote] [COLOR=black]Possessed Radio...[/COLOR] [COLOR=black] [/COLOR] [COLOR=black]It has been happening to us fairly frequently lately, but we don't need to be turning, just driving along straight and it will do it. Sometimes it will do it multiple times in a row like it is defiant (change it back to FM, couple of seconds later it changes itself back to CD, and we will go through this three or four times!). I've also had the volume just start increasing on its own. Neither problem has been replicatable (sp?) for the dealer's service department of course....[/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
I just posted the same problem under "electrical problem" and I didn't get any replies. I took it to the dealership today and they stated they would need to order and replace the radio "faceplate". I assumed it was a fuse or a short because it would go on and off for awhile but finally quit altogether a few weeks ago. I'll post the results after the repair is done later this week. So far the build quality has been fairly poor. More trips to the shop than I would care for.

Archived