LegacyGT.com

Need help fast

I am on my home from work and my car started acting very funny. I am not building any boost at all. When my car should be building boost it is making a grinding noice. No idea what it would be. Sorry if its the wrong place to post but im desperate and not sure if I should drive any farther. I have a 05 lgt with turbo back exhaust and stage 2 tune if you need to know.

• Moderators

Also check you throttle body hose where it connects to the intercooler. Can't tell if this might be it without knowing more about what 'grinding' means.

Either way the advice above is good. Get off the road and check. Tow it of you have to.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well its parked. I figured it was the turbo but I was hoping for a different answer. And I dont know how else to explain the sound. It is coming a storm right now so I cant check it out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I had it parked at my girlfriends house last night so i will pull it home tonight and check it out. Any advise on turbo replacement? This is my DD so I am not looking for more performance at this point.

removing turbo:

1) remove engine cover, intercooler, and turbo heat shield

2) remove DP

3) disconnect coolant lines and let coolant drain (probably 2 quarts or so came out last time I took my turbo out)

4) disconnect the inlet tube at the turbo, oil lines, and UP studs.

5) pull

^ oversimplified process for removing the turbo, but it is really pretty easy

• Moderators
get another stock turbo from Bryan at BNR

Not sure if Bryan will have a "stock" turbo for him, he will have a 16g though, close to stock.

At the moment I'd recommend doing yourself a favor and just picking up a vf52 and a quick tune. Your car will thank you for the tune and the vf52 should be at the top of the class as far as reliability goes.

EDIT: that's if the problem is actually the turbo...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not sure if Bryan will have a "stock" turbo for him, he will have a 16g though, close to stock.

At the moment I'd recommend doing yourself a favor and just picking up a vf52 and a quick tune. Your car will thank you for the tune and the vf52 should be at the top of the class as far as reliability goes.

EDIT: that's if the problem is actually the turbo...

Hey, that's my line.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I thought Bryan was rebuilding VF40's to stock specs as well.

J Glen - If you just want to get back on the road quickly and all you need is a turbo then find a used stock one or call Bryan and BNRSupercars.com and ask about rebuilt stock VF40's.

Any other turbo you get (VF52, BNR16G....) will require a new tune.

Good luck!

My vf52 has over 13,000 miles on it now. Next oil change on the new engine and it will get synthetic oil for the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

First off I want to say thank you to all that helped me out. I have been very busy lately, but I managed to get the turbo out last night. So I will be making some phone calls today and get some prices. I also want to say sorry for not using the search. I realize I could have gotten my answers by doing a search. I usually do use it, but at the time I was 30 minutes away from my house and I was stressing out and wanted some answers fast. I will update on everything else when the car is ready to drive.

Archived