LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy Subwoofer Upgrade - Pro/Con

johndas

Just wondering if I could get some feedback on the Subaru factory subwoofer upgrade...worth it or not? I have been looking at some other options to add some fill...just had my new wagon GT for 3 days and loving it...just wished the stereo had a bit more fill to it's sound...hope to hear from you guys!

Cheers...

Guest *Jedimaster*
have it in the WRX, and it sounds like ass.

got a Kicker Powered Substation in the LGT, and its MUCH better (and its like 7 years old, and has been in three different cars. :D )

Link?

I got one of those and punted it three days later for a custom box that sounds 20X better. The OEM sub is for someone who is looking for the illusion of bass not real chubb. Do yourself a favor and go get a custom sub with it's own enclosure.

The OEM sub sounds fine, and is a good match for the OEM stereo. Just remember that you will need to adjust the bass settings on the sub itself to suit your taste. There are 2 small adjuster knobs on the front side of the sub. I was able to get to them with a long flat head screwdriver. It sounds much better now.

I thank you guys...I have the option of putting in a nice 8" bass tube in the back that fits well but wanted to know...the oem sub is quite pricey from Subaru but who the hell knows... just want the most efficient way of rounding out the nice factory stereo as I do not plan on changing that at all and I am too old to be rattling pennies...al about cruising down the highway on a nice road trip...by the way this was my first post from up here in Vancouver/Whistler BC/Canada and I am loving my new Gt Wagon! Keep any thoughts coming and I thank you for your input!

John

Link?

i don't even know if they make it anymore. :lol:

here's a pic:

http://www.autoreview.ru/test_acs/sabvufer_158/music07.jpg

its throws out more bass than i'll ever need (i listen to mostly heavy stuff, and some classical - no rap), but it won't shake the entire neighborhood. its also easy to remove if you plan on filling your trunk up on a shopping trip - just undo a connector and the RCA inputs and remove it.

i would get an Infinity BassLink or maybe a powered Bazooka tube if i had to buy one today. you just can't get good crisp bass out of the factory sub's 5" (?) speaker, but i guess its better than no sub at all. for the price they ask for it, you might as well get something better.

If you're looking for it to fill in the bass, go for it.. it's well worth it.

If you're looking to shake the car beside you at the light, fuggedaboutit.

That's my only audio upgrade and I'm very happy with it.. well, until Rotel comes out with a head unit and B&W starts making car speakers.

It does a great job of filling in. When I bought the car, I did it knowing I hated the stock system. I added the sub based on recommendations here, and I'm happy I did. It makes the system sound good to my ears.

have it in the WRX, and it sounds like ass.

got a Kicker Powered Substation in the LGT, and its MUCH better (and its like 7 years old, and has been in three different cars. :D )

I had one in a WRX, and it also sounded lousy. But the exact same sub in my OB XT sounds great. I think the WRX was too much of a tin-can to really capitalize on that sub. Obviously, the Leg/OB are a lot more solid and better insulated.

I agree with the other posts that it won't be thumpin bass to wake the dead, but it's really a great solution to round out the stock system (it has a notable impact). After putting one in my OB XT, I am glad I didn't go for something bigger or more complicated. The underseat sub does exactly what I want.

Craig

Thanks again guys...I think for the cash a nice 8" removable tube might be best for now...they are small and uncomplicated. Good to get some perspective...plus the tube is much cheaper than the OEM unit...I do like the infinity basslink but have not found one yet...I do appreciate the opinions very much...seems like this is a great forum to save some time money and effort for those of us enjoying our Subaru's...600 kilometers and counting on my new wagon gt...loving it so far!

If any more imput is out there it will be appreciated a ton!

Cheers...John

• 1 year later...

I have a subaru legacy wagon (06), and would like more bass. I thought I'd buy one of these powered systems, but where would I plug it in? I saw the installation instructions for the regular subaru subwoofer (under the driver seat)... Does the legacy wagon have stereo hookups for something like this already in place?

See: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TL8tsyosUAt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&I=204BTA6100

and

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TL8tsyosUAt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&I=204BTA8100

Thanks,

Dave

I have a subaru legacy wagon (06), and would like more bass. I thought I'd buy one of these powered systems, but where would I plug it in? I saw the installation instructions for the regular subaru subwoofer (under the driver seat)... Does the legacy wagon have stereo hookups for something like this already in place?
Generally, the factory under-seat subwoofer T-harness would only be present in your car if you have the factory sub (or previously had one, but then it was removed and the harness left behind). But take a look under your front seats. If you see this connector, then you have the T-harness...

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7672/subwoofplugmd0.jpg

If you do have the subwoofer T-harness, then you can use this adapter to connect an after-market sub.

If your car doesn't have the T-harness, you can get a pair of 14-pin harnesses (one of each gender) to connect between your car and your factory radio. That will allow you to tie into the speaker wires (and power and ground too, if you want) without disturbing the factory wires. See this link.

Archived