LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

^ Yes, they are.

Btw, update, even with the cold weather and 300 whp I never noticed the noise again. With and without lowered suspension.

I am running now: Group N enigne mounts, Group N tranny mount, Group N diff bushings (all four) and SpecB trailing arm bushings (in SpecB trailing arms).

^ Yes, they are.

Btw, update, even with the cold weather and 300 whp I never noticed the noise again. With and without lowered suspension.

I am running now: Group N enigne mounts, Group N tranny mount, Group N diff bushings (all four) and SpecB trailing arm bushings (in SpecB trailing arms).

DO you think the Group N diff bushings were the fix?

^ Yes, they are.

Which ones are those?

I think it's more likely it's the Spec-B trailing arm bushings as the diff bushings are the same on both models. I have the Whiteline inserts on mine and still get it to some extent. Wish someone made an insert for the trailing arm ones as to not have to remove those suckers to press out/in new bushings.

Which ones are those?

These are Group N bushings for 08 STI, they fit LGT. Two in diff lower support (crossmember), two in the subframe. Only available from Rallispec.

I am not sure, I replaced many components at the same time, but I would say yes. There are SpecB owners that seem to have the problem, so SpecB trailing arm bushings alone are not the fix.

Unclemat, what is the coldest temps you get? I have done every fix I can possibly think of. I don't think you have done anything that I haven't done.

I don't really launch the car in the cold, but I can easily get the noise in around 0 (F) degrees and punching it in 2nd.

What have I done:

-Beatrush lower diff support

-whiteline bushing inserts in upper diff support

-spec-B front bushings in the rear arm

-STI tranny mount

-tranny X-member bushings

-adjustable rear camber arms

-Cusco rear braces

Probably other stuff, but I can't remember anymore.

We had recently -12 C or so... plenty cold. I was getting it in the past in much warmer weather, like around freezing. Relevant mods:

6MT + R180 + SpecB driveshaft + SpecB rear axles

SpecB trailing arms & lateral links

Group N tranny mount

Group N engine mounts

Group N front diff bushings - in SpecB alu cross member

Group N rear diff bushings - in the subframe

All these things when in at once so I can't say what really made the difference...

Edited by unclemat

Unclemat, what is the coldest temps you get? I have done every fix I can possibly think of. I don't think you have done anything that I haven't done.

I don't really launch the car in the cold, but I can easily get the noise in around 0 (F) degrees and punching it in 2nd.

What have I done:

-Beatrush lower diff support

-whiteline bushing inserts in upper diff support

-spec-B front bushings in the rear arm

-STI tranny mount

-tranny X-member bushings

-adjustable rear camber arms

-Cusco rear braces

Probably other stuff, but I can't remember anymore.

Are you able to rule out the whiteline diff inserts?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

We had recently -12 C or so... plenty cold. I was getting it in the past in much warmer weather, like around freezing. Relevant mods:

6MT + R180 + SpecB driveshaft + SpecB rear axles

SpecB trailing arms & lateral links

Group N tranny mount

Group N engine mounts

Group N front diff bushings - in SpecB alu cross member

Group N rear diff bushings - in the subframe

All these things when in at once so I can't say what really made the difference...

I don't get it anymore at -12C, but I do at -26C.

Our mods are slightly different, but other then the R180 diff I think they are essentially the same.

The WL diff inserts helped, maybe, but they didn't solve it.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of reading this entire 53 page thread I just have three simple questions.

Background: I get this popping clicking whatever noise when giving it moderate gas and pulling onto a highway from my road (90 degree turn) when it's cold. However it seems to go away after about 30 min of driving, although I can't be sure. My car is stage 1. No suspension mods and just under 50K mi...

Question 1: Did anyone ever figure out what causes this?

Question 2: Should I bring to dealer? I still have powertrain warranty.

Question 3: Is this harming the car?

Instead of reading this entire 53 page thread I just have three simple questions.

Background: I get this popping clicking whatever noise when giving it moderate gas and pulling onto a highway from my road (90 degree turn) when it's cold. However it seems to go away after about 30 min of driving, although I can't be sure. My car is stage 1. No suspension mods and just under 50K mi...

Question 1: Did anyone ever figure out what causes this?

Question 2: Should I bring to dealer? I still have powertrain warranty.

Question 3: Is this harming the car?

Do you have the 4BoxParts rear lower adjustable lateral links (or other RLALL)? If so, check your bushings. I have very loud popping/clacking on left right turns under throttle and find that the outside rubber bushings are shot. Replacing them with Perrin's spherical ball units (which BTW are normally $270/set - now on sale on their site for $124.99/set.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Nope, get it here too! :(

:lol:

:lol: You floridians get no sympathy from me! Suck it up, embrace mother winter. ;)

Dammit I just want to know the part to replace to make it go away. It's obviously a piece of crap part/bushing or whatever...