LegacyGT.com

MPG Drop after cleaning maf sensor

I just recently cleaned my maf sensor with CRC maf cleaner. After a few days my MPG went from 25.5 to 19.5. My driving habits are still the same. I should note that I didn't reset the ecu. Could that be the solution? I have a 05 2.5i with 126k miles. Thanks.

Happened to me when I cleaned mine. You can reset and/or just wait it out. My mileage got better after 50-100 miles (back up to 30+ hwy). However, if you sprayed the MAF Cleaner directly on the sensors, you could have damaged them. Just keep an eye on it.

I just bought a CRC MAF cleaner and have never done this before. How are you supposed to clean the sensor w/o spraying it? I don't want to damage the sensor.

Ditto, I've sprayed the sensor every time I cleaned a maff and never had any issues, I also haven't lost any mpg after either.

I recently clean my MAF sensor (Non-turbo 2005 Legacy 3.0R), I drive more then 200 miles and I get following mpg:

Higway: 11Km/liter, around 26mpg (75mph speed with cruise control)

Mix urban and higway: 8.4Km/liter, around 20mpg (Hard driving from 20 to 90mph)

MPG above is from car computer but usually I never trust car computer 100%. If you want to check real mpg, when you get yellow low fuel light on, go to gas station, refill full tank, remember your millage and how many gallon fuel you put inside. After you get low fuel light on again, check how many miles you drive after last refuel and divide it to gallons you put inside during last refuel.

You will get most accurate mpg if you do this. For example if you drive 300 miles between low fuel warnings and you use 10 gallons for refill your tank last time, 300 divided to 10 is 30, so your real mpg is 30.

Spray something else then use that to gently clean the MAF. Not saying direct spray is always the problem but it is a sensitive piece, treat it gently and softly and lovingly :)

Q-tip is best that way you can see the grime and know when to stop rubbing

Archived