LegacyGT.com

Horrible dealership experience: Irvine Subaru

illt3ck

To say I expected a lot out of Irvine is an understatement.

For as much as this dealership is talked up I was looking forward to visiting them today. I had been working with two dealerships local (San Diego), and decided to give Irvine a try. I drove the 1hr 15mins in the rain to see what kind of deal they could offer me. I didn't even get to step out of my car before a salesperson was at my door ... kind of annoying but at least they were attentive. I drove the Legacy 2.5gt Sedan and WRX Sedan back to back to make up my mind and decided to deal on the Legacy.

Before any prices were discussed the salesperson (and sales manager) refused to deal with me without filling out a credit application. Sure, I can understand they want to qualify me as a buyer ... but refusing to give me a starting point before making a hard inquiry on my credit is absolutely ludicrous. So I spoke to the manager "Mike" who was extremely combative and only wanted to argue with me. After a couple minutes back & forth he finally folded, but this should have been a non-issue. Next he would not budge on $200 over invoice at all. So I figured I can work with that, lets go to the trade-in.

I drive a 2004 Mazda 3 5dr S which has a trade in value of mid $15k and I owe $16k on it. Dealer appraisal, $13,000 http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

I realize there is depreciation involved but if I traded in the car at that price I'd have to call the cops before I left because they would have stolen it from me! http://forums.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/eek.gif

This salesperson / sales manager tried every trick in the book.

1. The 4 box method "how much do you want your payments to be?"

2. The sit customer in lobby alone for extended periods of time

3. The a55h0le sales manager

4. The back & forth between sales person and sales manager.

5. The extreme lowball trade-in value

6. The kbb & nada are not accurate values trick

Etc. Etc.

In the end the sales manager would not move anything above $13,500 even when I offered to put $500 cash down if they could come within $1000 of what I owed on the car. Finally after 1 1/2 hrs the manager said, " $13,500 take it or leave it", so I left it and drove home. None of what I was asking was out of the question, and has been agreed to in car deals in the past. This is definitely not my first new car purchase so I know what I'm dealing with.

All in all I won http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif I saw the dealer invoice and noted the holdback on the deal, as well as how long the car has been on the lot. Not only this, my credit wasn't pulled and I drove back home after we couldn't come to agreement.

So next week I will go back to dealing over e-mail exclusively until my price point is met.

I would not recommend Irvine Subaru to anyone I know. Who cares what they placed in the nation for subaru sales.

I was not impressed to say the least

Irvine Subaru in Lake Forest, CA = thumbs down

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gifhttp://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif

You might want to try looking at this!!!!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8688&page=2&pp=10

I live next to Irvine Subi, and I will simply print out these emails, call the owner and tell her the price I am willing to pay - let's cut the deal on the phone if they want the sale, else I am going to San Diego!!!!

I think dealerships are really hit or miss... thier are a few i talked with that were really nice, and a few that weren't.

good job being able to just get up and drive off -- i think a lot of people would have caved into the pressure.

if you dont' mind me asking, why are you giving up the mazda3 when it's still so new?

illt3ck,

With your permission, I'd like to email your post directly to Desiree. Do they have your phone number to call to make this right? If you want, PM me your number and I'll send it to her with your post.

This is so out of character for this dealership, especially since Desiree herself called to let us know that until the end of this month they're running any Subaru, including the STI, out of inventory or ordered, at invoice minus their holdback.

BTW - did you ask for Jeremy or Desiree when you went to the dealership? That's how you would need to talk to for these deals.

Let me know soonest whether you want me to email her or not.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

illt3ck,

With your permission, I'd like to email your post directly to Desiree. Do they have your phone number to call to make this right? If you want, PM me your number and I'll send it to her with your post.

This is so out of character for this dealership, especially since Desiree herself called to let us know that until the end of this month they're running any Subaru, including the STI, out of inventory or ordered, at invoice minus their holdback.

BTW - did you ask for Jeremy or Desiree when you went to the dealership? That's how you would need to talk to for these deals.

Let me know soonest whether you want me to email her or not.

SBT

Wow! That is a smokin' deal! Invoice minus holdback?

I asked for Jeremy when I went in but I don't think he was in. I wish I would have had the chance to talk to him. I've heard that desiree is one of the better managers? The salesperson I spoke with mentioned he didn't like this manager very well himself.

I've pm'd you my contact info. Appreciate your help.

Did put a call in to Desiree and Jeremy today to let them know about your situation. Desiree was not in and Jeremy had just left so I left my number for them to call me back. I know that they will work this out for you.

BTW - I think the best approach, since you know what the selling price for the car will be, is to focus on your trade-in. Make up your mind at what point you can let that go so you'll be prepared to discuss. Sounds like you're within a half a grand of being where you hoped to be.

Good luck and if you hear anything from I.S., let me know.

SBT

The problem is that you dealt with a salesman. Once you do that, he's got to get his piece of the pie. You should test drive at a place that you have no intention of buying from, then deal with the fleet/internet departments of the dealerships you do intend to deal with.

Did put a call in to Desiree and Jeremy today to let them know about your situation. Desiree was not in and Jeremy had just left so I left my number for them to call me back. I know that they will work this out for you.

BTW - I think the best approach, since you know what the selling price for the car will be, is to focus on your trade-in. Make up your mind at what point you can let that go so you'll be prepared to discuss. Sounds like you're within a half a grand of being where you hoped to be.

Good luck and if you hear anything from I.S., let me know.

SBT

I really appreciate everyone's help and a special thanks goes out to Subietonic for the work he is putting in for me. :D

I will definitely keep everyone updated and I eagerly anticipate speaking with Desiree tomorrow to see what she can do for me.

I would not be against driving to Irvine Subaru straight after work tomorrow and driving home in my new 05 Legacy GT :)

We'll see! ;)

If you don't mind a longer drive, you might want to call Thousand Oaks Subaru. I've been working with John Studebaker in their fleet department and, though he's fairly new and is still ramping up his product knowledge, he has been very professional and we were able to negotiate a fair price rather quickly.

Irvine Subaru is spoken of very highly on this board and I have no desire to diminish their standing - on a price-to-price basis they'll probably be equal to or better than T.O. on a new Legacy. However, T.O. Subaru is also T.O. Mazda (they share a showroom, service dept, etc...) and therefore might be able to do significantly better for you on your trade-in. They would most likely be able to sell your car from their lot rather than sending it to auction, netting you a trade-in value much closer to KBB.

Just my $.02...

If you don't mind a longer drive, you might want to call Thousand Oaks Subaru. I've been working with John Studebaker in their fleet department and, though he's fairly new and is still ramping up his product knowledge, he has been very professional and we were able to negotiate a fair price rather quickly.

Irvine Subaru is spoken of very highly on this board and I have no desire to diminish their standing - on a price-to-price basis they'll probably be equal to or better than T.O. on a new Legacy. However, T.O. Subaru is also T.O. Mazda (they share a showroom, service dept, etc...) and therefore might be able to do significantly better for you on your trade-in. They would most likely be able to sell your car from their lot rather than sending it to auction, netting you a trade-in value much closer to KBB.

Just my $.02...

Thank you for the vey informative post! I've already contacted them and awaiting their response!

:D

Russel Csonka, the internet sales manager at Norm Reeves Subaru of Temecula, is also very eager to take away some business from Irvine Subaru. He matched the price I got from Irvine Subaru after having initially quoted me $600 below invoice. $600 below invoice is not to shabby as a starting point! His number is (951) 491-2112. He's very pleasant to deal with, extremely helpful and patient, and he has 2 assistants so that you can always get ahold of someone there.

Subietonic was an excellent help in my purchase process. He even called me as I was on my way to pick up my car! Turns out BigDave was right about Thousand Oaks ...

I spoke with Desiree and she was more interested in making excuses for her employees than just apologizing for the horrible experience I had at her dealership. I wanted to give her another chance and was just about to Lake Forest on I-5 when John Studebaker from Thousand Oaks called and offered me a deal that I just couldn't pass up. So I ended up driving 4hrs in traffic to everything promised by John & more. I was helped out by Zeb (internet sales) and Dave (sales manager). This had to be my single best dealership experience ever. I would recommend anyone that finds a car they like to talk to John & Zeb over at Thousand Oaks, it will definitely be worth your while.

Glad to hear everything went well. Which car did you end up with? On second thought - I'll do a search to see if you've already announced your "new arrival" elsewhere.

btw - I was in San Diego yesterday - I feel your pain re: the traffic.

Glad to hear everything went well. Which car did you end up with? On second thought - I'll do a search to see if you've already announced your "new arrival" elsewhere.

btw - I was in San Diego yesterday - I feel your pain re: the traffic.

2005 Legacy GT Sedan - Atlantic Blue

Security Upgrade

Amp/Sub

Wheel Locks

Auto-dim mirror

After I detail it this afternoon, pics will be posted :)

2005 Legacy GT Sedan - Atlantic Blue

Security Upgrade

Amp/Sub

Wheel Locks

Auto-dim mirror

After I detail it this afternoon, pics will be posted :)

Well done and glad you could get the deal that you needed. And kudos to T.O.S. for taking care of you.

SBT

Congrats on the purchase. One of my fiancee co-workers just bought an LGT at Irvine. He liked my car and decided he wanted one too. They had originally quoted him invoice, but after I told him of their offer on this forum and he mentioned it to them, he got the deal that was posted here. I think he pretty much just showed up, signed and drove away.

My other recent purchase experience was at TO Mazda/Subaru. We bought out Mazda6 there and got a good deal, with no fuss or hassles. The sales staff there are really low key and low pressure. I can't say as many good things about the service department though.

I got my LGT from San Bernadino Subaru. I've told the story here before, but I got a deal that is comparable to that offered my Irvine now, and this was 6 months ago. Deal done entirely on the phone and via email. I was in and out in 15 minutes with my car. I'm not in the IE, but you guys out there should check in with Carl Huston there if you are in the market.

Archived