LegacyGT.com

Help, lots of knock under lowish load

dawkins20

Hi tuning gurus

I just installed an Accessport for my 2011 LGT last night, approx 35k miles on it. I had good shell 93 octane gas and flashed to the 93 octane v3.01 OTS map. I wanted to datalog some normal driving before i really got on the boost in order to prevent any possible damage since I am a bit paranoid. I owuld like to go to an e-tune at some point soon but I want to make sure the car is sound mechanically first and being in an urban area need to find an acceptable place for a 3rd gear pull to redline.

I took a datalog of my morning commute just to make sure nothing was wrong (about 16 miles, mixed highway and city) and noticed my DAM is stuck at 0.56. Not a good sign, and there is evidence of knock throughout in the FLKC, but also + values in this field. There are some FBKC events too. All of this is under 25% throttle or less and out of boost, since I don't want to load the car heavily if it is really having this much knock.

Since the 16 mile log is huge, I'll just pick a few annotated sections to post here. I know a 3rd or 4th gear pull is necessary to really evaluate logs, but if my DAM isn't rising even under grandma acceleration, is it even safe to do that pull?

Those low feedback knock values look normal. Low load or cruising knock is very common on these cars and you can basically ignore those up to -1.4 degrees. Those events won't hurt the engine. In some cases, they are just noise.

The low DAM is strange and hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. Maybe it will increase with time. When you installed this map, you did reflash the base map correct, not just real-time map change?

This is a reflashed base map, not a realtime map. The low DAM is an issue, because I was planning on waiting till the DAM stabilized at 1 to do a WOT 3rd gear pull, now I'm concerned that there is knock going on even under easy driving. I didn't datalog it last night when I first installed, figuring that I would let things stabilize for a bit. I was driving pretty easy but did some acceleration onto highways, etc. Im hoping there weren't large knock events that caused the DAM to drop. Even if that was the case, wouldn't it begin to go up again while driving with no knock detected?

Show us a WOT pull in 3rd gear from 2500rpm to redline... that will help us learn more about potential problems (this is how e-tuners will adjust your maps)... DAM under 1.0 is worrisome, but I'm not sure if that might still be the ECU learning and adjusting its baseline...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiuQvkeR9NgCdGJaZDJKN2RqaXhmNklCN0ZaNkRic3c#gid=0

Reflashed to 91 octane map yesterday until I am confident car isn't knocking. This pull is from this AM shortly after startup,

3rd gear pull, DAM is at 0.8 from startup and stayed there all day so far. This "feature" of the 5th gen ECU seems pretty annoying, since it seems to take a while for the DAM to rise every time the car is started, if it rises at all.

I also crossposted this to my earlier 5th gen thread since I know some of the ECU parameters are quite a bit different from the 4th gen cars.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/question-cobb-ots-map-versions-207981.html

I know the DAM starts at 0.8 after every engine restart, but I would have thought that without significant knock it would quickly climb up to 1. When I flashed this yesterday it went to 1 and stayed there after 10 to 15 minutes, but today it won't budge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Archived