LegacyGT.com

Streetfighter Outback Build

The build starts.

The goal I have is to build a unique N/A Leggy that is RWD. I dont have crazy HP goals, or want to build the best subaru ever... I just want a car to my liking that I can have fun with. This will be the evolution of the 4EAT OB into the Streetfighter as I like to call it.

Here are some threads on a few of the mods I have done

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-headlights-224895.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rebuilt-my-p-s-pump-223345.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/de-power-your-subaru-rack-242180.html

Engine

.Custom made forged high compression pistons

.264 grind on cams

.Killer bee ultimate oil pickup and baffled pan

.Very large Nissan Skyline Tanabe Medallion

.ATI damper

.P/S and A/C delete

.Injen cold air intake

.Not sure what headers to run yet

.Running factory cat

.2.5"piping for exhaust

.Koyo radiator

Drivetrain/clutch

.05 LGT 5 spd swap

.PPG rwd conversion spool

.R160 diff with Cusco 1.5 way LSD

Suspension

.On order set of Fortune coilovers

.STi front and rear swaybars on order

.05 STi LCA's

.Depowered steering rack

Braking

.ABS delete

.WRX front brakes, H6 rears

.Brake lines upgraded

Wheels

.16x8 Roto slipstreams

Interior

.All new seatbelts on order

.New carpet on order

.New shift boot assy on order ( complete the 5 spd swap )

Here is a photo before all the mayhem

509.JPG.b56134a7c1df1f3a5b6b0763a5f471fb.JPG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you going to lower that or keep it as it is? its so clean! lol

Its definitely going lower, I am converting it to a straight up daily driven drift car. Will be using the PPG center diff spline in the gearbox, and OS Geiken LSD going in the R160 WRX rear end.

sub'd

This Subie is going to doriftuh... lol

Other mods that will be happening will be Coilovers of course. I will use 04 STI front lower control arms because they increase the caster angle much more, and also there are caster kits that can be installed on the STI LCA's.

I will use a 93 impreza L steering rack because the FWD rack has much more steering angle!

It will be interesting to see if the wheels run on the inner frame rail when turned so there might be some notching, but I will cross that bridge when I get there...

• 3 weeks later...

So continuing with the drift conquest last weekend I was clearing the engine bay.

Removed all brake, and a/c components

All body plugs, and removed the front harness

There is still some engine harness through the firewall that needs to be removed, and the tranny is sitting there ready to drop out.

My next mission is stripping the paint and fixing the crappy bodywork that you can see in the photos. The car was hit 10 years ago while I was sitting at a light, and that was the fine work the body shop did that repaired the car.... I am going to repaint the engine bay and also remove all of the undercoating from wheel wells and under the car, and repaint those surfaces.

IMG_3000.thumb.jpg.cb9614e6d949cbda2006dd234e6e0915.jpg

IMG_5332.thumb.jpg.1b1a1b4b9568513948960d2c34e5e1be.jpg

IMG_5706.thumb.jpg.d2616f08afd61ad4148d96312aec6e44.jpg

IMG_8646.thumb.jpg.4a0727838cd4a04868cc569eb098f09b.jpg

Nice progress. Im gunna do a manual swap before the years out so please please please keep some good info comin

Its actually a very easy swap to be done, but I will keep all of the info coming as I progress.

I'm jealous of those one-piece headlights my friend. Car looks good, build looks like you're doing it the right way, not my way. Good job! haha

Thanks bro, I am just trying to make it the way I wanted it for a long time. And about 10 years ago I was sitting at a light when a drunk driver flew across the median... smashed the right front corner of the car. Back then I didnt know much but I could see the front looked crooked after the body shop repaired it.....

Well here I am 10 years later and with it torn down and I can clearly see their micky mouse repair job that left it crooked. So I am going to sort out the bodywork myself, and I have a painter buddy who will take care of the painting for me. Now I am going to scrape all undercoating off the bottom and wheel wells so my net dilema is.... Should I pull the interior and seam weld the body of the car for more rigidity and repaint the interior as well lol...

Gotta figure out what to do with the original long block from the car. I might rebuild it and keep it as a stock spare, especially for when smog rolls around I could toss it back in the car to pass inspection and then back out for 2 years..

Just to clue you in about the engine. I bought a JDM EJ25D that i was going to just throw in the car since the bearings were shot in the original engine. Turns out the JDM was worse that my USDM so I said screw it I will build the JDM into a high compression race engine. Well as I got into the build I decided I didnt want to use the JDM heads because they are hydraulic lifters unlike the USDM that uses solids. There is nothing wrong with hydraulic, it works fine but when you are going to run a high lift cam setup you cant get as much juice out of the engine using hydraulics as you can with the solids..

So I pulled the US heads to send tot he machine shop..

I am using JDM block with custom NIck Arias 11.8.1 pistons, and Deema is doing a 264 grind on the cams.

Acl bearings

Superteck valves and springs

ATI dampener

Grimmspeed phenolic spacers

STI side fed 550cc injectors

Total Seal piston rings

ARP head studs

And more will be added to the list soon....

IMG_7569.thumb.jpg.007782ab3fe1e10906249875f1f33553.jpg

There are not too many N/A builds out there so i wanted to do something unique and see what can be achieved without just doing a WRX swap or something like that. I have seen 300 crank HP on a zzyxx motorsports Impreza N/A to the crank but I have only seen one video and not much info on it so I want to set out and see for myself if I can get 300 crank HP.

Yesterday I yanked out the AT and started doing some little detail work such as re tapping all of the bolt holes in the engine bay. Some of the holes were kinda rusted and its just nice to have some fresh threads to make everything easier to go back together...

Also removed the wiper arm assembly and motor, and you would not believe how much dirt and stuff is trapped in all of the crevices of the engine compartment, especially inside the frame rails and whatnot so I shop vacced everything and used compressed air to blow it all out.

IMG_1393.jpg.ef2940767ad321de7f31d6cb6b36e0dc.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg.a20044c10ad0ff88aac50b39266e720e.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg.983a94ee601107b569ef3b5074a67061.jpg

IMG_8589.jpg.b3c3857978057d7254874877a9917e78.jpg

Nice! Excited to watch your progress, those GS spacers are worth the investment! Intake temps drop dramatically, like 40deg at the TB and about 30 at the head. I saw a huge jump in fuel efficiency!

Just remember your EGR tube is not going to reach as is, I just bent the crap out of mine to make it work. Certainly not ideal and I'll fix it in the future, just didn't have much choice working in our apartment parking lot!

Nice! Excited to watch your progress, those GS spacers are worth the investment! Intake temps drop dramatically, like 40deg at the TB and about 30 at the head. I saw a huge jump in fuel efficiency!

Just remember your EGR tube is not going to reach as is, I just bent the crap out of mine to make it work. Certainly not ideal and I'll fix it in the future, just didn't have much choice working in our apartment parking lot!

I hear ya, I wasnt able to start working on the car like this until now since i was also in the apartment parking lot, but now we finally rented a house with a 2 car garage. I have a brand new EGR pipe and also the original so I will prob cut a section out of the original and cut the new one in half and weld the section in the middle to lengthen it.

Oh man, the wife and I are hoping to do that in June also Subieadam, I can't wait to have a garage again!

boattlebot, I use my church parking lot sometimes, they are cool with it lol! Once I spent like 6 hours swapping out a timing belt tensioner in the parking lot of an O'reillys and during a storm, with basic hand tools. Was 3 hours away from home. That day made me hate my car for months. I'm finally starting to sort of like it again... Lol

Archived