LegacyGT.com

Piston slap or rod knock or valve noise? 04 legacy 2.5l

New member here, just looking for some pointers on where the noise my car is making may be coming from. First here are some videos showing the noise. 2.5l N/A 60.5k miles

http://s446.photobucket.com/user/morris8809/media/VID_20130328_162133_zpse385a464.mp4.html

http://s446.photobucket.com/user/morris8809/media/VID_20130328_161942_zpsc2b914f4.mp4.html

http://s446.photobucket.com/user/morris8809/media/VID_20130328_161558_zps3cb58290.mp4.html

The mileage just turned over to 60.5K miles so here is what I have done to the car so far:

Oil change (using penz ultra 5w-30 since I purchased the car in sept-2012) (used Honda filter)

Transmission drain and fill using Honda fluid and new filter

Both diffs fluid changed

timing belt & all idlers and tensioner using oem parts

brake fluid flushed

coolant flushed using Honda coolant with conditioner.

The sound almost sounds like it is coming from the flywheel area at the rear of the motor but it is difficult to tell. I am just trying to make sure it is nothing to be worried about.

ugh.... that sounds bad. drain the oil and put a heavier weight in there and see what it does. i dont know much about subaru engines so i dont know how heavy you can go, but at least 10w40.

(remember with oils, the second number is the viscosity, so 10w30 is not a heavier oil)

No change. The noise has been there for the past 5-8k miles. It started to become more noticeable as temps cooled in winter and now that temps are going up it is not as bad. Tuesday a dealer will be taking a look into the issue to see what is going on.

I have been running pens ultra 5w-30 and wix filter until last change (400 miles ago) when I switched to Subaru blue filter. I have never seen any metal flakes or particles in the used oil and the engine does not consume any at all between changes. Using a stethoscope the sound seems to be coming more from the valve area and not the cylinder or crank area.

Most likely going to just drive it, keep it maintained and when it goes, it goes. Once that time comes ill stick a new or rebuilt motor in it and drive it some more. I really dont think it is anything to bad as its had the noise for over 8k miles. If it were the main bearing or wrist pin it should not have lasted this long.

Most likely going to just drive it, keep it maintained and when it goes, it goes. Once that time comes ill stick a new or rebuilt motor in it and drive it some more. I really dont think it is anything to bad as its had the noise for over 8k miles. If it were the main bearing or wrist pin it should not have lasted this long.

If it has been making that noise for 8k miles then that is most likely piston slap. You can try using a thicker oil to help quiet it down but I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...