LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

I figured we could try to keep this stuff in somewhat one location. So if you got anything tuning related post it up and hear different options.

Let me start with a topic that has came up alot recently. I know the answer but a lot of folks don't.

*How does one gain power from higher octane points safely?

Post away any of your tuning related questions!!!

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
step 1. add boost

step 2. adjust timing

step 3. adjust fuel

step 4. log, log, log

step 5. adjust steps 1,2, and 3 accordingly after step 4 is peformed a lot.

Actually on a race gas tune, you would first lean out the AFR's. I'd then add boost, then tweak timing. Then maybe a little more boost. Hey, what can I say... I live up to my screen name!:lol: Just tuned an Evo 8 on 91 octane pump gas. Made 414whp, running 26 psi, without a hint of knock. I really prefer to make power with boost (rather than timing or lean AFR's) as long as the car has a turbo capable of running the PR's needed efficiently.

The same car made 500 whp on race gas. I targeted 12:1 AFR rather than the 11.5.1 I usually tune Evo's to. Ran 30 psi and quite a bit more timing. This particular car seemed to have a weak ignition system as it was incapable of firing the plugs cleanly at higher boost levels, so I didn't raise the boost as much as I might have liked and made the power with more timing. Since I couldn't cram any more air/fuel in to the cylinders, I just used more timing to get what was in there to burn. Of course, higher octane fuels inherently need more timing as they burn more slowly than pump gas.

well I didn't put a whole bunch of boost.

if I was tuning it I would start with 1lb at a time and go up from there while going through the steps as necessary.

Never add boost before being sure that AFR's are dialed in and safe and timing is super conservative. No shortcuts. Boost is how we make power, but it is not the first thing to change. If it was, then we'd all be running MBC's and cranking it up. Rome was not built in a day. Get fuel dialed in first before you touch boost.

It's really pretty simple. Fueling is one factor that doesn't need to be changed much when dialed in. When you start with one factor being a known quantity that makes your life a lot easier. About the only time I touch AFR after getting them set to my satisfaction is if the car responds differently than it should when boost and timing are added. If the car seems incredibly knock prone then I might add fuel to the offending areas.

Yup.

I pull a little timing, dial in the A/F ratio, add boost, smooth out the boost, and then play with timing.

Sounds easy, but there are so many variables/parts combinations, that every car is slightly different.

Where would you pull timing, from the base table or the advance? What is a good baseline for AFR on 100 octane on a TMIC stock turbo car? I am thinking 11.5 then go up from there...

Yup, the steps are pretty simple. Follow the formula and get good results.

1. Create your base map with appropriate timing and fuel values as well as all other settings like boost cuts, rev limiters, injector settings, etc.

2. Start the car on your base map and monitor short and longterm fuel trims and adjust your intake calibration to zero out the trims while free revving in neutral up to about 2.1 volts.

3. Adjust the intake cal under load and partial throttle until it exits closed loop.

4. Make a pull at wastegate boost and adjust the intake cal to hit the target afr's.

5. Add timing a couple degrees at a time until it doesn't make any more power.

6. Save your wastegate map and turn up the boost.

7. Adjust fuel

8. Adjust timing.

9. Setup launch control and FFS if available.

10. Drink Beer.

Adam & Matt

Revolutions Performance

417 E. Vermijo

Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Store | Contact Info | Website

Yup, the steps are pretty simple. Follow the formula and get good results.

1. Create your base map with appropriate timing and fuel values as well as all other settings like boost cuts, rev limiters, injector settings, etc.

2. Start the car on your base map and monitor short and longterm fuel trims and adjust your intake calibration to zero out the trims while free revving in neutral up to about 2.1 volts.

3. Adjust the intake cal under load and partial throttle until it exits closed loop.

4. Make a pull at wastegate boost and adjust the intake cal to hit the target afr's.

5. Add timing a couple degrees at a time until it doesn't make any more power.

6. Save your wastegate map and turn up the boost.

7. Adjust fuel

8. Adjust timing.

9. Setup launch control and FFS if available.

10. Drink Beer.

Yes!

But not whilst on the dyno...that's a DUI.

SO how high of an octane rating is Torco available in?

To make 15 gallons of 104 octane using 93 as a base you would need-

8.4 gallons of 93

6.6 Gallons of 118

Some people say you can get 104 with 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of torco. I guess if you were trying to make 1 gallon of gas that would be closer. LOL

Am I missing something here?

Archived