LegacyGT.com

odd noise

a.lim

Not 100% certain, but I suspect a bad throw out bearing if its the clutch. Had the same problem with an old 95 dodge avenger. A loud clicking and whirring noise that would go away when the clutch is pressed, or until the car is hot. Let me know if that's what you are experiencing.

Not 100% certain, but I suspect a bad throw out bearing if its the clutch. Had the same problem with an old 95 dodge avenger. A loud clicking and whirring noise that would go away when the clutch is pressed, or until the car is hot. Let me know if that's what you are experiencing.

yea thats pretty much what im experiencing..

would this be covered under warrenty?

I came in here about to post a similar problem...my car is at 17,600mi right now and I hear a noise coming from the front left (when looking from the front of the car) part of the engine. It sounds like a knocking noise, thought maybe I had a bad belt but they look fine. It also speeds up a little when driving - but does not get extremely fast. It seems to go away after giving the car at least 15 minutes of driving. I drove it 30 minutes to the dealer and it was gone - then it came back later that day after my car sat while I was working. Any ideas? I'm going to need to leave my car at the dealer and that sucks.

It sounds like your throw out bearing. My throw out bearing went out at 59,500 miles. The power train warranty is through 60,000 but the throw out bearing is only covered through 36,000 (at least on an 05 it is) so you should still be fine. Subaru of Santa Monica did the work on mine. I have been fully stage II since 8,000 miles and I’ve never had any problems with warranty work. I had to pay this time because the warranty was up and they have to drop the trans. and disassemble the whole clutch to get to the throw out bearing. My clutch still had about 10,000 miles on it when they took it apart but I was already paying them to tear it down and put back together so I opted to replace it. A normal clutch replacement at the dealership goes for $1500.00!!! I had to pay for that plus the new throw out bearing, and a new engagement fork that failed with the throw out bearing. Plus Subaru had to replace the clutch assembly case as it cracked when the throw out bearing failed, luckily I had that 500 miles left on the power train warranty as that part goes for about $750.00... In the end with the clutch, pressure plate, fly wheel, throw out bearing, new fork, clutch assembly case, and a 60,000-mile service it was $2300.00 and almost three weeks out of my car!!! (Evidently the clutch case was a special order item.) I would be mad, but I’ve been modified for over 50,000 miles and all I’ve ever had to pay for with this car is regular service and huge Chevron bills!!!! Way better to me than my 1.8T was... You shouldn't have any problems man, just be prepared to be out of your car and into a crappy rental for a while! Civic Nation REPRESENT!!!

• 2 years later...

I have 116,000 miles, about 60K on a new clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel.

I have recently started experiencing a loud clicking noise when I start accelerating and especially when coasting, in gear, from about 35 mph and down, stopping around 10 mph. It sounds like a metal baseball card stuck in the spokes of a bike. The frequency of the clicking is constant, but louder at slower speeds. The sound goes away completely when the clutch is depressed or the car is in neutral. There is no sound at idle.

Does this sound like a bad throw out bearing as well or something else?

I thought that at first too, but the sound is more centralized to the middle of the engine compartment. The frequency of the clicking is not related to vehicle speed which makes me think it's not a wheel bearing. It's a constant clicking.

Archived