LegacyGT.com

Need help deciding what direction to go on a 95 Legacy L

Hello all, I will be picking up a 1995 Legacy L wagon (AWD) at the end of the week that has trouble shifting in and out of gears. IT could be that the clutch needs adjusted, or that the synchros are toast. I'm picking it up for $900.

This will be my first personal project car, and I have no idea what direction I want to go. I'd like to keep the grand total of expenditures below 7,000. Is that even possible?

I've read on here that the 5MT and power don't get along. I was hoping to hop the car up a bit, but I wasn't going to go crazy. Since I can find them cheaper than turbo motors, I'm thinking an EZ30. But the question is: would it fit? Am I better off buying a combo WRX engine and transmission and figuring out what rear end I need? Because I really don't want a car with different final drive ratios. That's bad. I can pick up a combo WRK motor and trans for 1500-2500, but they're missing turbos, intercoolers, and ECUs.

What would you recommend if you were in my place?

Help! I'm buying this car soon!

The EZ30 route hasn't been done as much as the wrx swap so you are in semi-uncharted territory. You didn't mention the wiring harness, so don't forget that you will need a complete wiring harness from whatever engine you decide to go with and then merge that with your L harness.

Texaslegacygt wants to do a similar swap in his second gen bd. Check out his thread in the third gen forum: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/h6-ez30d-motor-and-can-modded-215382.html

An option you might want to consider is the EG33 swap. It is also a 6 cylinder motor (220 hp) and pretty badass. The swap has done many, many times, so you would have a lot of support if you go that way. However, it is an OBDI system and switching from OBDII to OBDI is often an illegal swap. The potential good news is that you have a 95, which is a transition year for OBDI to OBDII. In my glorious state of Utah any car 95 or earlier just has to pass a sniff test, no connecting to the computer. Check out your local laws if you want to go that route.

The WRX swap would be also be a great way to go. People find rolled WRXs all the time for cheap. Some people find them for $3000. I've never seen one that cheap out here, but that's not to say you can't. The added advantage of buying a rolled WRX is that you then have everything you need for the swap as well as the suspension, brakes, axles, trans, etc.

You can find TD04 turbos all day long on NASIOC, as well as intercoolers, ecus, wiring harness etc if you decide to buy the combo you mention above. You just have to scour the classifieds a lot in you want bargains.

I'm working on a hybrid motor swap for my 95 L piece by piece so it adds up. I am building a 22T block with forged internals and mating it to WRX 205 heads with upgraded valves, springs, shimless buckets. And then using a WRX ECU and wiring harness to run the combo. Probably just going to go with a VF39, but I haven't decided on the turbo yet.

Can you do it for $7,000? Maybe. Swaps get expensive quick.

My final suggestion to you is boost your 22E! You can run 5 psi no problem on the 22E block with your stock ECU. You just need to tap the heads for oil to the turbo, run a coolant line to the turbo, slap on an intercooler, notch your crossmember for a downpipe to clear (or find one of a first gen turbo legacy), and install a fuel pressure regulator. That would be a cheap way to go until you decide on a more involved install. For turbos you could use a teeny VF11 off a first gen (cheap too) or a TD04. The VF11 is fun because it spools instantly so you get some off the line fun.

The 5MT won't hold up to huge power, but if you aren't pushing big hp it will hold up fine for a while if it is in good shape to begin with. Hope this gives you some ideas! :)

I'm in Kansas, so I don't have to worry about Smog. I'm also looking at a 2001 outback 5 speed with a decent transmission. I might pick it over the 95, as the trans works.

Will an EG33 bolt up to a 5MT? Will it even fit? I hear it's pretty long for a block.

Yes, it will fit int the bay with some mods and mate right up to a 5mt. Joel posted how he did it here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/joels-eg33-legacy-build-184928.html

Lots of threads and youtube videos on the subject. I'd love to swap one in a Brat.

If you want to turbo a third gen you will have to pay a lot to get a scooped hood (they are rare in the states) or modify the original hood or get a fmic. And the 2.5 in the second gens isn't the best for boosting compared to the 2.2s.

I don't know if the EG33 is a better choice but they are easier to find out here anyway. And I think it might be an easier swap. I haven't done either, I just read about them a bit, lol. The EZ30D is lighter I think, and uses a timing chain. The EG33 uses a timing belt and is non interference.

You would need a slimmer radiator, maybe modify the bumper beam. There is a lot of info in Joel's thread.

ever since i got my 95 wagon ive wanted to do the eg swap. then i thought about the ez swap, mainly for gaining the obd2 aspect and the tuning ability.

someday ill work it out.

i also have the desire to get an older SVX and putting it on top of a forester suspension.

Archived