LegacyGT.com

Looking at buying a late model Subaru...

neboo

I would love to get a newer Subaru but my budget is low, so we are looking at a late model Subaru. What kind of common problems should I be looking for when I look at them? I have heard a lot about oil leaks on the Legacy, and actually was close to buying one before discovering a leak. If this is true, where is the leak most commonly found and how much does it cost to fix? Also, are there any other common problems?

Thanks a lot, I hope to be a Subaru owner soon!

Hi neboo and welcome to LegacyGT.com. :)

The main (more expensive) oil leaks come mostly from older, 2nd generation(BD/BG ('95-'99)) EJ25 engine's (2.5 GT) head gaskets. While they aren't super difficult to fix, it can be pricey depending on where you take it to have it fixed. Most mechanics won't have a hard time with it though. Also, the cam covers tend to leak as well but this is a fairly minor issue. Otherwise, Subarus really don't have that many engine problems if they're maintained even somewhat decently.

So, really, you should be fine purchasing a good looking, well kept Subaru without any issues. Especially if the head gaskets have already been replaced. That's always a plus. :) Otherwise, most maintenance on a Scoober can be done by yourself with a friend!

They're super fun cars with an even more fun fan base (yours truly included ;) ) and I wish you the best of luck finding one that fits your budget and preferences.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

welcome...where are u from??

if ur budget is low but want a fun car to drive. consider the 92-94 legacy turbo. they come in auto and 5mt. (they made them in 91 but there a pita to find) they clean up well and come with strong block and heads. they range from 500-4000$. u also wont have to worry about the gasket problems such as the 95-99 models stated above.

Hey neighbor...Minnesota here. We have had eight subarus over the past 23 years and for the money its hard to beat a 92-94 2.2L awd car. The 2.2L motor is my favorite and very reliable. Overall subaru parts are inexpensive and not complicate to install. Very accurate info from eekay above.

Archived