LegacyGT.com

Buying '05 OBXT in "First Model Year"

Does it make sense to wait on buying a 2005 LGT/OBXT because it is the first model year on a re-designed car? I have searched this board and others and there is not much noise re: trouble spots.

I currently drive a 2003 Toyota 4Runner which was the first year of the 4th generation design. Luckily mine has been solid, but I chose (carefully) to buy one with the well known iForce V8 vs. the all new V6. As it turned out, that engine had a lot of teething issues.

So far my logic on the 2005 OBXT is this:

- The engine has been around for a while in other models

- The turbo and transmission have come from the STi

Seems troublespots may be with the new body or other bits that are truly *new*.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I have this car on order already, but may want to wait for the '06 upgrades.

This version of the Legacy / Outback has been around since 2003 in Australia, and maybe earlier in Japan. Yes the steering wheel was on the 'wrong' side, but the motor, body, suspension, and other stuff for the 2005 is not really new, in that light. I'm sure there are parts in the US model which will be improved (maybe not by this summer... who knows). I'm sure there will be options available soon which will be missed if you buy now. I'm also sure you will love the car you get, no matter which model year.

This version of the Legacy / Outback has been around since 2003 in Australia, and maybe earlier in Japan.

...I'm sure there are parts in the US model which will be improved (maybe not by this summer... who knows). I'm sure there will be options available soon which will be missed if you buy now.

Excellent point re: this cars debut in other countries before the U.S.

As long as the 2006 model year does not bring big changes in power or a 6 spd trans to the OBXT then I plan to go ahead with my purchase. Smaller add on's like Nav units are not important to me.

Unfortunately nobody seems to know just, exactly, what will change with 2006 model year.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I, too, worried about this, but as stated, the car has been around for a while overseas. Also, the running gear isn't all that new- some minor differences between the Forester and the STi but not a brand new design or anything.

8500k and no problems. One thing does stink though.... the clutch. A lack of a Stability control program and Satellite ready radio on the XT would have been nice options. maybe '06 will have them.

I am so confused about the Stability Control thing. My 4Runner has it and I assumed that the OBXT had it, but what Subaru calls VDC is only available on 1 car in their line up... WTF??

Hijacking my own thread, but what is the difference between the traction control system on the AWD cars and stability control? :confused:

I am so confused about the Stability Control thing. My 4Runner has it and I assumed that the OBXT had it, but what Subaru calls VDC is only available on 1 car in their line up... WTF??

Hijacking my own thread, but what is the difference between the traction control system on the AWD cars and stability control? :confused:

I'm sure this is an oversomplification, but here goes:

Traction control is a system designed to prevent wheels without traction from spinning. This can be done by reapportioning torque among the four wheels and/or braking the spinning wheel.

Stability control systems measure things like steering wheel angle, throttle position, and yaw rate to determine if the car is deviating from the driver's intended line, and applies brakes or reapportions torque among the wheels to correct the car's path. ("Yaw" refers to the car's rotation around its vertical axis)

Ideally, these systems sould be controllable by the driver, because they can interfere with spirited driving.

One other thing to keep in mind. While it does suck that a lot of options are just not available on the '05, and while it is just plain odd that a lot of desirable options can only be had on the top line models (where they are often standard and no longer options)... Unless you want to spend the extra thousands of dollars to put these on your car in the first place, it just doesn't matter.

The stability control system is great to have, but you already have a lot more control visa-vis the AWD and traction control than you would have with a fwd or rwd. It could save your life, but so could having one less drink.

Decide what you want and enjoy it. Life is short, and this car is fun!!

Decide what you want and enjoy it. Life is short, and this car is fun!!

Thanks for the replies, that clears up some confusion on part. Traction control is what I most concerned with anyway. Stability control sounds like something that would get in the way and rob some power. Though I am assuming it is something that can be turned off.

I one week into a factory order, so for now all I can do is read and post about the car... :rolleyes: Though I am sure the extra goodies are worth the wait (*cough* short throw shifter *cough*). hehe

I one week into a factory order, so for now all I can do is read and post about the car... :rolleyes: Though I am sure the extra goodies are worth the wait (*cough* short throw shifter *cough*). hehe

My dealer had short-throw and the color I wanted in stock -- course they claim to be biggest Subbie dealer in the country, so..

On the orignal quesiton I would have no worries at all. Subies aren't like europena brands (cough, bmw, cough) who view their first year buyers as beta-testers. All of the engineering is very solid and proven and the major changes have been in body shell and stuff like that. Typically new model problems occur insystems like electrical, powertrain, etc.. and all of that stuff is very proven. Only thing that isn't that I can think of is electro-luminscent guages, lol.

I looked all over in the Seattle area for a short throw shifter and none of the dealers had them. Most dealers said they could install one, but they wanted to tag on an huge labor charge.

Ordering from the factory means I pay for the option and that's it. For my own peace of mind I prefer it to be factory installed anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm waiting for 06 on the legacy just to see if some of the minor nuisances people have been complaining about get cleared up. The car has an extremely good record/track record probably because as others have mentioned its been around for a bit. But still it seems there's a handful of things that could be addressed. If they aren't, I won't be upset.

Are you trading the 4Runner for the Outback, why? I'm thinking of going the other direction, 05 Legacy GT Limited for a 4Runner.

The 4Runner is a great SUV and does well off-road, but it:

- Sucks gas like crazy (I have the V8)

- Not much fun to drive on pavement (handles like a truck)

- Makes no sense to own unless you are serious about off-road or need to tow

In the 2 years I have owned it I've been off-road (serious rock crawling) only once. Having a car that is fun to drive on pavement and "good enough" in the dirt just fits me better.

Archived