LegacyGT.com

Anyone wanna help troubleshoot some wheel vibration?

*05 GT limited 5EAT

* Tires have been aligned/balanced twice (purchased new in July and done again in November)

* No stutter or abnormal transmission shifting

* Engine replaced last May

I'm just looking for some advice on what you guys have seen as the source of your problems if you've dealt with this. The vibration is light and reserved to the wheel meaning I don't feel the car shimmy or drift right or left. I don't hear any noises underneath the vehicle while driving and the suspension APPEARS to be ok when dealing with less than ideal PA roads.

I've seen some people talk about CV joints amongst other things. I just don't want to take this to a dealership only to have them 'fix' or replace something that isn't the issue and leave me with the same problem.

First off don't take it to the dealership. You don't have to.

Use a local mechanic to fix your issues.

You say the steering wheel is all the vibrates. Have you put the front tires on the back and the backs on the front to see if the vibration moves to the drivers seat ?

You may have bad tire.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does the vibration continually get worse with speed or is it worst at certain speeds (like around 30 and 60 MPH)? Continually getting worse is an indicator of an out of round or driveline issue and worst at certain speeds is usually a tire or rotor balance issue. Warped rotors should also be noticed through the brake pedal and/or pulsation while braking. If the vibration changes depending on acceleration versus no load versus deceleration or cornering versus going straight it is probably a CV or bearing issue.

Max,

When I had the car aligned in November my local shop rotated the tires. Didn't seem to better or worsen the issue. If it were a bent wheel the shop that installed the tires should have caught it when they put my new tires on, right? SHOULD have.

NMLegacy,

I notice the vibration more at lower speeds than I do at higher speeds. Braking seems to be solid but I have had the same brakes/rotors since I purchased the car 20k miles ago so maybe that is something I should look into. I am also 3k over my 90k maintenance but when I went to the selling dealership they told me it would be about $500 to complete the 90k service. $500?!?!? Mind you the engine was pulled less than 10k ago.

So let me get this right-

Drive belts/camshaft drive belt needs to be inspected but engine was pulled at 86k so if there was an issue that should have been addressed, right?

I change my own oil and filter

When my engine was pulled new coolant should have been used

They replaced my fuel pump with the new engine which I think the lines/connectors should have been checked

Air cleaner element - meaning my cold air intake? I recently pulled this to change my clear turn markers yellow for inspection and cleaned the box and filter

I feel like they were going to charge me $500 to simply LOOK at my brakes/suspension

One beef I have is I asked the local shop that did my recent alignment (which is 5 houses down from me) if they would be willing to put new spark plugs in as when my shortblock was replaced the dealership did NOT replace my original spark plugs. The shop said they didn't feel comfortable doing it and that I should take it to my local Subaru dealership. Funk that. That's the same place the vehicle was purchased and the same place that has caused most of my headaches in regards to this car.

I've had a very hard time finding a decent shop that I feel comfortable taking my car to consistently.

You should add where your from to your profile. May be some one can point you to a good shop.

The belts should be replaced at 105,000 miles.

Plugs at 60,000 miles. Find a local shop to do that. I pay $120 to have mine replaced.

every 30,000 miles gear fluids are replaced. You can do that yourself.

Is your car a 5mt or automatic ?

The low speed vib is a hard to figure out...Make sure the axle CV's are in good shape.

I bent wheel may not be picked up by any old tire place, if the vibration didn't move form the steering wheel after moving front to back not chis cross... you could hve two bent wheels. If one side hit the same pot hole and bent both wheels, then the new tires...put on at random placements, then rotated... one of the bent wheels could have gotten moved to the front both times.

I had a vibration as my tires got old on some highways. My new Conti's DWS's feel great.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of having the dealer touch my car. You can have the scheduled things done at any shop or yourself, just keep good records.

I keep a little pocket note book for all my cars. The service manager can photo copy it to show the history for warrenty coverage.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

It's an auto. I see your point about bent tires and where I am (PA) I think we the worst or one of the worst roads in the country. I learned from this site that when I bought the car to keep strict records, which I do. I've always tracked my service since I was 16, oil/filter/lube/whatever but never kept basic oil/filter receipts until I read how SOA and 3rd party warranties were in honoring their warranties.

Is it possible to pull the rim from the car with the tire still attached and inspect both for faults or will I have to pull the tire off to see the true colors of each rim/tire? On to my search for a reputable, local shop!

Any good wheel and tire shop will find the bent wheel from just looking at the inside rim.

When I took my wheels to "The Wheel Shop" here the tech spotted the bend in one that I was bring in to have a curb rash fixed on. He spotted it rolling it across the floor.

You live in a great area there should be any number of good shops there.

Archived