LegacyGT.com

Gimmick Catback/TBE review, install issues, etc.

GTpete

So i'll post my explanation, videos, and pictures of this exhaust on here. First off I'd like to say this exhaust is over all very very nice for the money, just be prepared to get frustrated during install because as far as I can see everyone has separate fitment issues.

So I got the exhaust from import image after realizing that my garage built pipe wasn't going to hold up, figured it was time to give in a spend a few dimes, etc etc. It was a breath of fresh air to see something made of stainless, with a mandrill bend for so little. So ordered it for not even 400, awesome. Okay so now on to the cons.

1) Probably an issue with most CB's but, when you hang up to Y and the mufflers fitting the midpipe to the downpipe is extremely frustrating. The stock bolt refuse to fit and in my case this resulted in having to sand down the stock exhaust flange bolts. I actually had to go to the dealership after realizing the bolts wouldn't fit, it just took us stripping the head majorly before we realized that should probably happen....haha. Anyway a huge pain to fit the mid to the down, in the end, one fit and the other had to be replaced, not a huge deal, still frustrating however.

2) Secondly, and most importantly is the fitment of the mufflers on the hangers. This actually made it so the installation extended to two days because it took one day to install, and another full day to fix the awkward fitment of the mufflers. So we installed, had it all put together, etc and right when we hung the cans on the hangers we realized there was a solid three inch gap between the right muffler and the cutout...the other one fit fine. So. This is the major issue of the whole set up. We even tried some new hangers, nothing. We considered hammering down the hanger because nothing would work, I decided to take the high road, drive home with lopsided cans (like seriously noticeable enough for ANYONE behind me to laugh) and fix it in the morning.

3) Final con is the Tedious, painful, and annoying repairing of the crooked can. In another thread about this exhaust I read a post about using clamps to straighten up the pipe, okay sounds easy enough right? Wrong. After purchasing some different size hose clamps (one 5", one 3", and one 2") I spent probably a solid 4 hours tightening and feeling out areas to fix this extremely uneven pipe. In the end it took a 3" clamp squeezing the front hanger, and holding the hanger from the car together (1 hour of tightening). A 5" clamp stretched from the pipe beneath the muffler, to the hanger on the car connecting the end of the muffler. And finally the 2" pipe squeezing the remaining muffler hanger to the remaining car hanger. The pipes are still slightly uneven to myself, but otherwise un noticeable. IM SURE there was a better way to do this, but I'm all about DIY and quick fixes without having to possibly damage parts, and hit the body shop to get ra*ed on prices.

So those are the cons, pretty heavy list. However I am not at all dogging the exhaust itself because once it is on it is an amazing pipe. Seriously, smooth ride (I am running a TB from a Cobb Downpipe), smooth and stealthy sound with the throaty background noise of the Boxer, and a goooooood wot. It looks good in my opinion too, some people don't like the look of the pipes slightly protruding, I really do, because the pipes are small enough for random onlookers who know little about cars to mistake for stock. Its got that stainless steel sheen and the giant y when you catch a glimpse from under beneath the car. It is an awesome product, but install is the part the proves that you get exactly what you pay for. In exchange for less of a bank breaking you receive a little bit less of a flush fit. I assume this is different with every individual pipe because I have read a few more reviews on separate issuers that I didn't have with install. I have had the system on for about 2 weeks and there have been no issues.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2e58go6.jpg

This is after straightening the muffler, and you might be able to tell that it is still a tiny bit crooked, it really goes back and forth as the hanger on the left side compresses and things like that. I don't have any pictures of the crooked fitment. I'll post videos later. Anyway. Great product. Recommended to anyone who's willing to go through a crappy install that ends with a really good and reliable product. Just keep your eyes on the prize! The struggle is worth it!

Best.

The GMS cat back is decent for the money if you can live with the cans not fitting right. I've had mine adjusted before and they fit fine for a while. Another thing I suggest take a look at where the mid and y pipe bolt together. If yours is anything like mine it will rub on the heat shield and eventually go through it. I had a exhaust shop cut and reweld the flange area for me which stopped the rubbing.

Another thing, I don't know if its cause of my whole exhaust set up or the cheapness of the GMS exhaust but my left side muffle looking from the rear. The interior baffling is breaking up. I had two different friends call me with in 5 mins saying my car was spitting out embers it was that bad.

Here's mine, you can see how close I got mine to fit after some work. It needs it again but I might replace it soon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4809538998_156d9b300b_b.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

damn thats some of the best fitment ive seen ^^^ fyi: the cxlighting/x02/gimmick cbe's are prone to rust after a season or two of snow due to the salt and corrossion. a lot of people paint the pipes with a high temp enamel or whatever and clear coat the cans. ive had my cxlighting on for a year and the rust isnt that bad but i AM going back next month and having the shady spots sanded and the mid and y's painted. im debating painting the cans black and leaving the tips chrome or,,just clear coating the whole can. i run a catless erz DP and an STi up, and my tuner said that it was the best sounding subaru he's ever heard. i dont kow if he was stoned or serious but i agree that these CBE's with a little bit of prep and adjustments kick ass especially @ such a low price. I heated the y's with a torch and bent them with a friend to center them as opposed to using a clamp but to each his own. poly hangers help pull the tips up into the cutouts a little more. ive also heard of people mounting the hangers through the top hole of the bushings to gain some height as well. enjoy the exhaust man!

Man I am really nervous about the baffling now haha. I plan on buying a new one by the time next winter rolls around next year, I think i'll head to the shop soon too for that heat shield...not excited for them to laugh at my diy front lip haha.

damn thats some of the best fitment ive seen ^^^ fyi: the cxlighting/x02/gimmick cbe's are prone to rust after a season or two of snow due to the salt and corrossion. a lot of people paint the pipes with a high temp enamel or whatever and clear coat the cans. ive had my cxlighting on for a year and the rust isnt that bad but i AM going back next month and having the shady spots sanded and the mid and y's painted. im debating painting the cans black and leaving the tips chrome or,,just clear coating the whole can. i run a catless erz DP and an STi up, and my tuner said that it was the best sounding subaru he's ever heard. i dont kow if he was stoned or serious but i agree that these CBE's with a little bit of prep and adjustments kick ass especially @ such a low price. I heated the y's with a torch and bent them with a friend to center them as opposed to using a clamp but to each his own. poly hangers help pull the tips up into the cutouts a little more. ive also heard of people mounting the hangers through the top hole of the bushings to gain some height as well. enjoy the exhaust man!

Yea had a exhaust shop heat up the pipes right after the muffler and adjust them. I actually need to do it again, but I'll do it my self this time.

Man I am really nervous about the baffling now haha. I plan on buying a new one by the time next winter rolls around next year, I think i'll head to the shop soon too for that heat shield...not excited for them to laugh at my diy front lip haha.

Ehh don't be. I'm not to worried. Mine is still looking good after a bad winter. Steel wool and metal polish and it looks almost new.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Cool! Thanks for posting this thread.

As soon as the IRS fixes their software for itemized deduction returns I'll order one up!

I'll install it on our lift so any tweaking will be much easier. :rolleyes: I will more than likely order another resonator to weld into the midpipe to keep my old man ears happy. That reminds me I need get my argon bottles re-filled.....

We find on some customer cars that some exhaust system fit perfect on one will need some pry bar persuading. :lol:

I have an Invidia DP for an '08 STI that I had to grind out the divorced waste gate tab since the VF48 and VF40 waste gates swing and pivot differently.

I'll install it on our lift so any tweaking will be much easier. :rolleyes: I will more than likely order another resonator to weld into the midpipe to keep my old man ears happy. That reminds me I need get my argon bottles re-filled.....

FWIW the CXlightning catback on ebay has been coming with a resonator on the midpipe. The ad doesn't show one, but many people have received resonated mid pipes. It is the same exhaust v.s. the GMS (just + a resonator and - "GMS" on the tips). The GMS may be made of better quality materials, but AFAIK that has not been proven or disproven.

my cans after heat and yanking :lol:

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/CIMG0014-1.jpg

and YES the CXlighting/gms/X02 come with a RESONATED MID..i think the first gens were straight tho...my buddies x02 has no resonator but he got his in the first group buy back in the day. he had the weld in a magnaflow res. i would love a non resonated...anyone wanna trade?

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/Fearless_French/CIMG0105.jpg

This is all really well documented already but OP should consider putting his review in the reveiw section so others can find it http://legacygt.com/reviews/?

The centerpipe is the only one that is problematic and is the first piece to put in. I did post in several threads how this piece can be installed 4 ways but only really fits 2 ways - one well, one not. Its not fun to figure it out once under the car... AFTER the Y and cans are on (and hard to figure out without my pics unless you put the Y and can on - which is why OP put the Y on; I know, I did the same thing - thats why I posted the walkthru help to try to save others the fitment fight).

Loosely attach the mid to the DP then loosely attach the Y to the mid then loosely attach the mufflers. Go back to the mid and tighten it to the DP being mindful of alignment. Much of the uneven slack and be adjusted within the bolt holes (the holes are big enough for a little side to side movement).

Even after all this I am pretty sure my pipes did not fit as well as op anyway.

• 1 month later...

Great thread.

I bought a turb-back system from Josh at Import Image Racing...

ERZ downpipe & Gimmick cat-back. I installed it myself and agree with everything perviously posted. The final fit is not exactly centered but not drastic. We had to rassle it around a bit when tightening up the midpipe and the flange slightly rubbed the heat shield, but wasn't hard to persuade the HS to make room.

Over all I think these issues happen to any bolt up turbo-back system when doing it yourself. If you like the sound, you can't beat the price. I have had mine on a couple months now with no leaking and they sound pretty cool. Definatly not SPT, a little less suttle for sure.

• 1 year later...
Follow-up on my Gimmick/ERZ exhaust. I can't believe it's still on the car but there is no corrosion, no leaks (I tighten bolts every change of season) and the sound is still amazing. I don't usually buy the knock-off brands but I have no regrets with the Gimmick cat-back.

Regarding these bargain cat backs, has anyone attempted to mate the y-pipe up to the OEM mufflers?

I tend towards ultra-stealth mode usually and I am very curious about this fitment, even though the video in this thread seems to show this system to be on the quiet side.

I don't think the Gimmick cat-back would be considered quit. It is a bit subjective but certainly the Gimmick is much louder and raspier than a SPT exhaust, for example.

As far as modifying the y-pipe for stock mufflers, the material thickness and weld consistency is on par with other name brand cat-backs.

"Harry, go to a muffler shop and have them fabricate you a custom Y-pipe. Just cut the flanges off your OEM Y-pipe and toss it. Anything else is silly unless its dirt cheap."

I understand what you are saying LosAngelesGT, but if I find a bargain priced cat back that will accept the OEM mufflers, someone else might have an interest in the mufflers that I won't be using.

The no longer produced Perrin y-pipe as well as the new TurboXS one will

accept the OEM mufflers, but are a bit pricier.

• 1 year later...
Harry what did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation and doing my research. I have a Cobb DP right now and looking for catback options. Overall looking for ways to improve my exhaust.

Actually, I haven't added a y-pipe yet.

I purchased one of the GRIMSPEED 2-1/2" to 3" adapters with the radiused

internal flange transition.

I did find that the eBay systems do seem to work with OEM mufflers, but with the included mufflers being too loud for my use.

If you were to use a 3" y-pipe, I believe the same adapter would work with your COBB downpipe (just reversed).

Archived