LegacyGT.com

Weak/Bad design windshield?

Mine recently cracked from a rock. As you drive you become accustomed to the sound of rocks hitting the windshield. I've had impact that sounded like they were as big as a baseball hit with no problem. My crack was caused by the slightest sound. Just caught it right I guess.

After 60k of highway miles a new un-sandblasted from highway miles windshield is nice!!!

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Purchased 2015 Legacy new June 2015

Replace windshield for a crack with no obvious chip/reason August 2015

May 2015 Replaced windshield is cracked for no apparent reason. Dealer says it is a stone chip, and will not cover under warranty.

2 windshields in less than 2 years? I know there is a documented problem, has anyone else had experience getting their dealer to take responsibility?

Appreciate any information or others experiences. Thank You.

• 1 month later...
After replacing a cracked windshield more than year ago, I again noticed a 6-inch crack on the lower right side of the windshield the other day. My insurance carrier is picking up the cost to replace it without a deductible but I am urged to bring the Legacy for the eyesight to be recalibrated after they install the new one tomorrow. Will Subaru similarly perform the service at no cost as they did the first time?

Usually not but your insurance company will reimburse you

Send send then the invoice..

Laughing at Oneself and with others is Good for the Soul

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Took a major hit from a rock near the rearview mirror on April 30. No surprise it chipped based in the impact noise. Made the wife jump in her seat!

It's too big for chip repair - sort of a double hit. It doesn't bug me so I'll wait for it to travel. I suspect it will take the trip in winter. At $200 deductible I see no rush.

Windshield quality seems normal enough to me judging from this incident alone.

If you have Eyesight then it could be a safety issue if not just like any other vehicle and it is not traveling then it really not an issue.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Purchased 2015 Legacy new June 2015

Replace windshield for a crack with no obvious chip/reason August 2015

May 2015 Replaced windshield is cracked for no apparent reason. Dealer says it is a stone chip, and will not cover under warranty.

2 windshields in less than 2 years? I know there is a documented problem, has anyone else had experience getting their dealer to take responsibility?

Appreciate any information or others experiences. Thank You.

The dealership has no responsibility except to perform warranty repairs on your vehicle. The warranty only covers defects in materials or workmanship.

Considering the windshield is impacted daily by everything from sand, dirt, wood chips, pebbles and rocks at speeds up to at least highway speeds, it should not be surprising that they get chipped and/or cracked regularly. These are all called outside influences and are NOT a defect.

Safelite replaced my cracked windshield yesterday, the second in less than two years. This time I went with an OE. As he gingerly unloaded the glass, the installer pointed out how thin the glass was and mentioned this is the tenth he's done for the day, mostly Subarus!

What I hope is, when I get mine replaced, that someone else is then making glass for the 6th Gen.

I don't care at all if it has the little warming elements by the wipers. They don't seem to help much anyway.

• 7 months later...
Another cracked windshield last night - third time. Safelite says they can also recalibrate the Eyesight. Anyone used them to this?
I didn't use Safelite my Subaru Dealer used a different company they calibrated my eyesight and billed my insurance.. which was great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The glass on these cars is crap.

I've had zero windshield cracks in my 2015 Legacy (and 2016 Outback) after 3+ years and 32,000+ miles. My anecdote is just as valid as yours.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The glass on these cars is crap. I've got less than 50k miles on mine and just cracked my 3rd windshield. This will be my second one in 9 months. SOA needs to up their game on their windshields!
I agree with you.. they are very thin to save weight and cost I believe.. My concern is my insurance company they gave me such a hassle with my claim..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with you.. they are very thin to save weight

You have the EPA and the nosy fed to thank! I've seen these issues posted on mazda and honda forums as well. Its not isolated to Subaru.

Mine has 40k+ with no issue. knock on wood.

That said its a thing of chance. you could have a billion rocks hit the glass all the time and nothing happen; and then when the right rock hits the glass at its weakest stress point when the outside and inside temperatures are just right to cause a fracture, boom you have it.

And that's why we have insurance to cover when it does happen.

• 1 month later...
What I hope is, when I get mine replaced, that someone else is then making glass for the 6th Gen.

I don't care at all if it has the little warming elements by the wipers. They don't seem to help much anyway.

The wiper heaters are my favorite part! (To be fair there isn't too much else to get excited about in a windshield, haha) I've never had the wipers freeze to the windshield even if my entire windshield is just a layer of ice, and they really help reduce streaking to increase visibility in the winter by keeping the rubber warm. I don't think I'd want another car without them, unless I move someplace where the weather doesn't suck :lol:

SOA reimbursed first windshield replacement and insurance covered second and third including recalibration. Just got our new insurance bill. Premium went up by almost 20%. Still that's not as bad as my wife getting jumpy everytime she hears that familiar sound of something hitting her car however faint. Takes away some of the driving enjoyment from an otherwise best driving car in its class with safety features once reserved only to much higher-priced cars.

Always good to hear other owners have not had the unfortunate experience. Gives hope the last will be it.

• 1 year later...

Suffered my 4th cracked windshield 3 days ago. At wits' end, what to do next.

A Law360 reports a California woman filed a lawsuit in June 2017 alleging Subaru knew as early as 2014 that Outback and Legacy windshields were designed and/or manufactured with a defect and the company knew this in 2014. A California Judge agreed that Subaru knew of the defects and that plaintiffs will receive compensation. Any truth to this?

Suffered my 4th cracked windshield 3 days ago. At wits' end, what to do next.

A Law360 reports a California woman filed a lawsuit in June 2017 alleging Subaru knew as early as 2014 that Outback and Legacy windshields were designed and/or manufactured with a defect and the company knew this in 2014. A California Judge agreed that Subaru knew of the defects and that plaintiffs will receive compensation. Any truth to this?

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-loses-lawsuit-over-faulty-outback-windshields

Yes there was issues with Windshields cracking around the lower heating element if it was determined that it was used.. I'm going in this Weds for my 3rd replacement but its just my luck All my cracks have been within 3" from the edges and that's the weakest point of the windshield.. I currently have 3 other hits in the center area and they haven't moved..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk