LegacyGT.com

Need Opinions on Suspension Spring/Strut combo

the_IRONGIANT

Ok guys. I have project on my car that is in the making. I have already ordered a set of Swift Sport springs to lower my car 1.25" all around. Now I'm looking towards an affordable set of struts as well. I don't want to go too fancy yet with HD Bilstein. I wanted to pair the springs with KYB Exel-G' s (or GR-2). With anyone who had this type of suspension set up and had them for a while, what are your thoughts on the ride comfort. I'm just looking for something that can be dependable for everyday use, and yet give me a sporty feel without breaking the bank.

The KYB GR2/Excel-G struts/shocks are essentially a stock replacement for the original KYB struts/shocks that came on USDM LGTs and 2.5i Legacies. As such, they aren't going to last that long with a fairly low and stiff spring like the Swifts. The Swifts were designed to work with JDM LGTs and their Bilsteins. As such, the advertised front drop of 1.2 inches will be more like 1.75 when you factor in the use of USDM (KYB-style) top hats instead of the JDM (Bilstein-style) top hats that came on JDM LGTs and Spec Bs.

The swifts might be too low for the KYB's to the extent that they might blow. My set blew with Cobb springs in 2 months ( possible install error). But the Koni's I replaced them with have been great.

I know it's not what you want to hear but Konis or Bilstiens/tokicos with jdm front top hats or you're going to regret it.

Well, if that doesnt work, i've heard people use tein s-techs which are lower than swifts, so i dont think i can go that route either then right?

and if worst comes to worst, eibachs might be my better choice. I've heard they run great with stock struts and only give an inch drop if im correct

what are your thoughts on the s,techs vs the eibachs? what spring would you recommend on stock struts or upgraded oem struts?

Archived