LegacyGT.com

WVU31 ECM Recall

Has anybody else been contacted about this recall? I searched around the site but didn't find any info. Let me know if you got this done and if you noticed anything about it. Thanks

Program Number WVU31

Year of Recall

Completed / Open This service has not yet been completed.

Program Title Engine Control Module

Summary Subaru of America Inc. has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve the performance of your vehicle’s emission control system. This software change will not adversely affect fuel economy or performance

This software update is intended to improve vehicle emissions when the vehicle is operated in cold weather and the engine is turned off and restarted within short periods of time, such as in several minute intervals.

We suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru dealer soon to have the Engine Control Module reprogrammed. The procedure will take approximately 40 minutes to complete. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your vehicle longer on the day of your appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Your Subaru dealer will perform this update at no cost to you.

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, click here.

To locate the nearest Subaru dealer, you can access our website at http://www.subaru.com and select “Find a Dealer”.

If you need additional assistance:

Click here to contact our Customer Dealer Services Department or

Call 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) Monday through Thursday between 8:30 AM and 7:00 PM ET and Friday between 10:30 AM and 5:00 PM ET or

Write us at Subaru of America Inc. Attn: CDS Department, P. O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. This update is intended to ensure your vehicle’s optimal performance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

I was contacted at the end of March and am scheduled to go in next Friday for it. Previously I had the precursor to this ecu/software update with:WVM23

I have also started receiving a P0851 (Neutral Switch Input Circuit Low) / Subaru Bulletin Number: 16-68-06, so it should make for a "fun" day at the dealership.

• 1 month later...

it's pretty difficult to tell via the butt dyno, given that it's summer time as well....it's unlikely to make much difference on your start ups

i can't tell any difference in my car's behaviour since getting the reflash performed

The reflash is for cold weather start in close succession so no it won't change anything performance wise. I'm not going in just yet going to wait until I get the exhaust put on, I want the techs to fully understand that my car isn't a 2.5LGT lol

I want to do this because I did the upgrade two weeks ago and now when i start the car on a cold engine, the engine shakes violently and cylinder one misfires. Now I haven't modified antything since the upgrade so I have no idea wat else it could be. The spark plugs look fine and the wires are all good so I can't be that. plus as a side note, the dealer I went to has a history of doing some crappy work.

....pretty strange...

i would imagine the extent of this work order would be to plug in the car to a computer, reflash the ecm, unplug.....hard to imagine much going wrong with such a straightforward procedure.

any comments from the dealer in regards to the issue?

I had this 3 days ago at the same time as an oil change and tire rotation. I have not noticed any difference as of yet after having it done. It's sumertime though, so I am curious come this winter if I will be able to perceive anything.

My engine doesn't shake, but on a cold start it does run rough and sometimes I think it's going to die... :(

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Might just be bad luck, but my wife took her 2006 Outback for this flash last Wednesday and since, it has started real rough one time on Sunday, along with a clacking noise that sounded like some sort of solenoid valve opening/closing. Then, today as she was driving with the kids, the car crapped out all together and she had to pull over, hazards and all. It restarted OK and she made her way home. She said that there were no lights than came on, but to be honest she was concentrating on getting out of traffic safely so she might have missed something. Before this, the car has been reliable.

On the day the flash was programmed, we also had to have the oil pump resealed, as it was leaking...threw a new timing belt in at the same time.

Have there been instances where a reprogram has screwed things up if done improperly? I'm taking it back tomorrow AM and am obviously not pleased, but don't want to bite their heads off if it "might not" be their fault.

Has anyone not done this upgrade to their car yet in Illinois? I am only asking because I want to find someone who has not done this and see and compare what the dealer has changed.

I have an 09 Legacy and I actually JUST received the e-mail for this. I'll probably be calling them tonight/tomorrow to set up an appointment....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I got the recall done with my 30k maintenance (minus the plugs which I did myself today) a couple months ago and haven't seen any real difference. I did notice last night (when it was colder than usual) that the engine stuttered a bit, but that also could have been my fault for turning the lights, rear defog and the heater/front defog almost right after starting the engine. I haven't seen the stall while braking, but my transmission is an auto.

Archived