LegacyGT.com

horn button swap

Legdude

Im just wondering, maybe it's just me. But, I was in my 07 legacy today and noticed my horn button cover in the middle of the steering wheel is looking alittle beat up. Mostly because I must live in an area where people don't know how to drive. Anyway, does anyone know if an 05-07 STI horn button will fit on an 07 legacy Momo wheel? I had an 05 sti and they look about the same in demension specs, and the wheels look about the same as well, even with the hand controls for the radio. Just wondering if this would work, I think it would be a niffty thing to do.

wouldn't it be the same thing if the dimensions are the same? As far as the wheel is concerned. I mean, I don't think subaru would waste the time, and money, making a completely different drivers side air bag unit for the wrx and legacy.

From what I've read on here (this question has been asked numerous times), our airbags are 2-stage airbags, so if you get an airbag from an STi that was a 2-stage airbag, you'll be fine. Or they could have been meaning the entire steering wheel. :scratch: Hmmmm. Not sure, might want to search.

Im only talking about the middle piece on the steering wheel. We have one with a subaru emblem, you know fantastic stars...... boring.... Where as the sti has that STI logo dead center. Im not talking about swaping wheels, or air bags, im only talking about the middle horn peice, like you see in the picture bellow, that is if it pops up

http://i41.tinypic.com/24mt5wk.jpg

• 1 year later...
Im just wondering, maybe it's just me. But, I was in my 07 legacy today and noticed my horn button cover in the middle of the steering wheel is looking alittle beat up. Mostly because I must live in an area where people don't know how to drive. Anyway, does anyone know if an 05-07 STI horn button will fit on an 07 legacy Momo wheel? I had an 05 sti and they look about the same in demension specs, and the wheels look about the same as well, even with the hand controls for the radio. Just wondering if this would work, I think it would be a niffty thing to do.

Have you already tried if this button fits your legacy Momo wheel? This is the first time i saw someone who is interested on trying this.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't think this member is still a member, but his picture makes it look like a straightforward swap. I would guess you could find the cover on a basic salvage search for cheap or on NASIOC.

If it is NOT a direct swap I would be pretty surprised, especially if you find one that has the same or similar steering wheel buttons as we have.

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=719&d=1131302185

You can also look at this one from Cars101 for reference. Very similar...

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2008-subaru-impreza-5dr-man-sti-steering-wheel_100276169_l.jpg

If anyone has pictures or a comment about their install it would be helpful for those of us looking to do this mod.

• 4 months later...

Just to update for those interested and who have PM'd me.

This modification is NOT possible as just a simple cover swap. You will need to purchase the entire airbag assembly for the style you desire (check NASIOC or eBay). You also need to ensure the hookups are the same. Some of the old SRS airbags do not work with the newer style mounts depending upon how retro or forward you want to go.

Archived