LegacyGT.com

Eww.. gas mileage!

I put in a full tank in my legacy and i've gone 300km and its already at the 1/4 mark! I looked on MSN auto's and they tested the car at 21 miles/galon with a 15.9 gallon tank! That means I should be able to get 530km on a full tank of gas....

maybe I should say that I was driving rather aggressive for a few days when I got my car but if I drive sanely and not shift at 5000rpm everytime, will my gas mileage get better? :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, upshifting before 5k rpms will probably help :) It takes fuel to make power, and more fuel to make more power. The more you dip into an engine's powerband the worse mileage you will get. The more powerful that engine is, the larger the difference usually is. (Obviously mileage is affected by many more factors too, like gearing, the vehicle's weight, drivetrain loss [there's more with AWD than 2WD], etc.)

If I shift before 4K rpm then I get nearly 21 mpg in the city. I have seen 28 mpg hwy without even trying. If your car is new then that would help account for bad milage. I got 15 mpg for a couple tanks too when I first got the car. It averages around 19 mpg per tank now.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I put in a full tank in my legacy and i've gone 300km and its already at the 1/4 mark! I looked on MSN auto's and they tested the car at 21 miles/galon with a 15.9 gallon tank! That means I should be able to get 530km on a full tank of gas....

maybe I should say that I was driving rather aggressive for a few days when I got my car but if I drive sanely and not shift at 5000rpm everytime, will my gas mileage get better? :(

Well my Canadian friend, I get about 400km to a tank of gas, whether I gas up with 91, 93 or 94 octane. There may be a slight difference in mileage between the the different octane ratings, but it seems like I get the best out of 91 octane.

I rarely take it out on the highway, almost ALL city travel.

Now, I drive my car 'spiritedly' and am usually shifting around 3500 - 4000 rpm.

If the mileage meter in the dash says 12.4 / 100km then I am pretty satisfied.

I only get it to dip down into the 11's if I have a highway trip during the duration of the tank.

If you are mostly - all city driving and you shift between 4- 5K rpm, you'll barely reach 400KM per tank, I am pretty sure about that.

(I also have about 13,000 km on my car now after 13 months of driving, so my avg's have pretty much been unchaged for the last 6 months.

GI

If I shift before 4K rpm then I get nearly 21 mpg in the city. I have seen 28 mpg hwy without even trying. If your car is new then that would help account for bad milage. I got 15 mpg for a couple tanks too when I first got the car. It averages around 19 mpg per tank now.

really?? gas mileage gets better?? i have a new wagon and i am on my 3rd tank and i have not gotten better than 17. 70/30 (city/hwy). hopefully it will get better as time went on..

that said, when i was on my AT sedan. i've always gotten 21+ right off the bat. i thought it was just my bad shifting but i usually shift around 2.5-3.5k rpm..

Your mileage is affected not just by RPM, it's how hard you accelerate, i.e. the load you put on the engine.

Put on the instantaneous MPG display on the dashboard and just glance at it from time-to-time as you are driving. Try acclerating more moderately and shifting below 3500 or so. On the highway, try using the cruise control. You can learn to get better mileage.

Right now, the car has about 2500 miles on it. After break-in, I've been averaging 20-21 around town and 26-27 on the highway. Unless I'm being bad. :icon_twis

Saturday 11 March

20 deg C outside

speed 60 mph on cruise control

distance 12 miles (gas station - down town)

trip computer error: + 0.7-0.9 mpg vs reality

reported fuel economy: 32.4 mpg

real fuel economy 31.5 mpg...heck...31.0 mpg

And NO Chicago doesn"t have valleys...

101970.jpg.74bf307a24fdbeda2b407da3c410e6fa.jpg

really?? gas mileage gets better?? i have a new wagon and i am on my 3rd tank and i have not gotten better than 17. 70/30 (city/hwy). hopefully it will get better as time went on..

that said, when i was on my AT sedan. i've always gotten 21+ right off the bat. i thought it was just my bad shifting but i usually shift around 2.5-3.5k rpm..

Give it more than 3 tanks. It took me several tanks before it got better.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I got teh best mileage ever w/ my recent upgrade to stage 2... i.e. Helix Flex-Uppipe, Cobb catted DP, and AP V 1.1.5 map...

from Gaithersburg, MD > New Castle, DE (approx 110 miles)

averaged 30.5 mpg.... driving a consistent 70.... i was really surprised... go stage 2...

You're a better man than I. I cannot get any more than 23 mpg on a fill-up, striaght to the highway drive accelerating like a grandma. As soon as I hit the off ramp and local streets, I'm down into the high teens.

Saturday 11 March

20 deg C outside

speed 60 mph on cruise control

distance 12 miles (gas station - down town)

trip computer error: + 0.7-0.9 mpg vs reality

reported fuel economy: 32.4 mpg

real fuel economy 31.5 mpg...heck...31.0 mpg

And NO Chicago doesn"t have valleys...

ignore him, he'll go away.

You bought a sports car.. buck up

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I bought a sports sedan. My 14yr old 450hp sports car gets better mileage though. I was just responding to f1's post where he shows significantly better fuel economy in the same city conditions as myself.

ignore him, he'll go away.

the best i can get on the hwy is 10.4 L/100km which is about 23.3 mpg

i generally set the cruise to about 125 kph in a 110 zone. that's around 80 mph.

i would say that i'm fairly disappointed in the gas mileage but overall very happy with the car.

I'd like to know how they do it also, it just dosn't make sense how some get over 20 in town and I cant achieve above 17 no matter how easy I drive. The number is usually lower.

I drove over 80 Highway miles today at 75 MPH and barely broke 20 MPG.

Thats stock with the "stuck fan" issue. I cant imagine the fan drawing that much power.

I understand AWD will suck gas, but come on this is rediculas. My Z28 and 350Z both got better numbers.

Sorry...just not feeling the love today.

Yeah the gas mileage isn't the greatest that's for sure. The only thing good is that it is better than my previous SUV. I get about 400Km to the tank, a little less now in the winter depending on how much I have to warm up the car. Most of my driving is in the city. On the highway I can manage close to 600km a tank if I maintain about 110 or 100km/h.

Archived