LegacyGT.com

What do you think it's worth w/ broke motor?

I have a 2005 Black on black wagon GT Limited 5mt in good shape. The motor needs a basic rebuild what do you think this is worth with 110k on it?

Not selling here just want to get an idea. KBB said it was worth $7500.00 running.

Thank you,

Scott

• Moderators

It's worth more than that running. Less than that in current condition :)

Someone who wants a MT wagon might give you $4-5k for it depending on overall exterior / interior condition. Then again, you might only get $2k for it. Find the perfect buyer who wants to build the car anyway and you might get $6k for it.

YMMV.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

i'll give you 2k :-)

seriously, though, this combination is somewhat rare with 108 units made. If you dont want to fix it, post on lgt.com someone will buy it.

Beat me to it.

Here's my thread about replacing my short block. I haven't added it up yet, but I figure by the time I'm done it will be over 4000. But I know there are only 108 of these made. The car is a blast to drive.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

Another reason to keep it, the taxes are getting less every year.

Someone who buy this, hopefully knows what it is. Check out the cars for sale forum and see what the current asking price is. Sometimes these cars pop up there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If it is clean, in good shape, and was anywhere near the snow belt, it'd be worth more. As it is, the problem is is that you have it in Cali, which isn't exactly a hotbed of Subaru owners. In Seattle, it'd probably be worth 6-7k as is.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

In seattle, that'd be true. There are several shops in the area that do a really good & inexpensive job of re-motoring Legacy cars. Depending on what you do, <$2500 can get you back on the road. Where $2500 is swapping in a used motor.

Of course you can spend stupid money and get a truly great sleeper.

Also KBB lies. Running with the timing belt changed is worth closer to 10-12k, at least up north.

KBB takes into account location, I think. Californians don't love Subaru's as much - not like Seattle where I can drive down any suburb street and see 1 to 10 Subaru's per block (mostly Outbacks). Whereas, every time I drive around LA, I see more Porsches than Subaru's. Makes Cali a good place to look for cheap Subaru's though.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

The only people who care about rarity are LGT fans.

That being said $7500-$4000 for motor = $3500.

However there is a hassle and risk factor of other problems not test driving that to me is about $500-$1000.

GLWS or fix.

• 3 months later...

Well going ahead and getting it rebuilt and putting some more miles on her before I let it go. I had no idea it was that rare, good to know. Its a blast to drive while it lasted. Going into a VF52 setup with all the goodies. I just could not resist.

Thanks for all your replies,

Scott

I paid the equivalent of 5900 for my 05 LGT with a bad engine. Never even got to drive the car before dragging it home.

05 LGT, RBP. 5MT, 45K on the chassis, interior looks like the it was never even sat in. Then again, I was looking for a Legacy project car for a while.

Wise choice to keep it. The wagons are HOT.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Archived