LegacyGT.com

Want to upgrade 1998 subaru legacy gt performance.. Where do I start?

I drive a nice 1998 Subaru legacy gt limited edition with an automatic transmission. It is completely stock, but I want to change that. I am only 17 and am going to get a job here soon and my plan is to put money into my car... Where do I start with performance upgrades.. I'm literally clueless. It doesn't have to be huge upgrades but just little things that add performance.

:lol: any tips are greatly appreciated..

Adding to Fake Outback...do the wires and plugs too with the coilpack, if you go that route. But otherwise, check the stickies first...lots of good info there. Also, to make sure you spend your "performance" budget wisely, identify first what you mean by "performance": is that straight line speed for top end or 1/4 mile? Are you just looking for HP bragging rights? Or do you mean you want your car to handle like an STI? Or does performance mean great gas mileage and a comfortable ride?

Think of that first then plan out from there. Will save you lots of $$ and heartache.

My favorite mods are my JDM projector headlights and Whiteline rear sway bar. Do all the necessary maintenance first if you haven't already.

If your headgaskets haven't been replaced keep an eye on them since it is only a matter of time until they crap out. How many miles are on your car?

Not much you can do to get more HP out of your stock engine unless you are willing to shell out a ton of cash for very little gains. And a WRX or STi swap is gonna cost a lot and be a huge pain in the ass.

Welcome!

A can of seafoam run through the engine is a super cheap way to get improved response and engine feel. Also cleaning your injectors and fuel rail is another super cheap way. I used simple green cleaning solvent in a coffee can and let them sit overnight. Hope it helps.

Start with making sure all maintenance is up to date on the car, this includes oil and filter change, air filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid change, front and rear diff gear oil change, spark plugs and wires. Then check the condition of all your other fluids like coolant, power steering, brake fluid, and flush them if they look nasty or contaminated. After that you should check on all the rubber mounts and bushings on the car (motor mount, tranny mount, diff bushings, swaybar bushings. Replacing bad bushings and mounts makes a world of a difference on these cars and improves the driving feel a lot. After you've got all the maintenance done you could look into handling upgrades, which I'd start with springs/struts and decent tires.

Also I have a 1997 GT as my daily driver. 211,000 on the odometer and still runs like a champ. My personal upgrades include msd coilpack (with ngk plug wires and ngk iridium spark plugs), intake pipe from 95-96 legacy(don't think it really does anything but I like it because it is a lot less bulky and doesn't look stupid), group n motor and transmission mounts, 2004 STi pink springs on kyb agx struts, jdm projector headlights, 2002 wrx front seats. I personally like all these upgrades and would suggest the headlights and group n motor mounts the most.

Thanks for the tips guys and the car has about 140k miles on it and all I've done to it so far was put new tires on it, new fuel filter, and new air filter. Also recently had to replace the alternator belt because the old one completely shredded off!

The first thing I plan to do is get a new coil pack along with new wires and plugs.. Since I dont know much about working on cars this seems like something I will be able to do on my own. I don't know about the spark plugs though they are hard to get out.

Plugs are easy, remember to grip the wires by the boot, not the wire itself. Other trick was I used a fairly long arm extension. Maybe 2-3" I don't remember exactly, for my 3/8" socket. The plugs are in deep in the engine. You can't see them.

I use a a 3inch 3/8 extension on a spark plug socket and stick it in there and get it secured on the plug and then attach a wobble extension to that with a 6 inch and then ratchet the plugs in/out. Works well enough without having to work in the crevice between the motor and the body. Also if you have access to an engine crane it is easier when the motor has been lifted but is not necessary to install plugs.

Archived