LegacyGT.com

coilovers that stand up to crappy roads?

deer3

ok im looking to change out my crap megan coilovers for something new and am wondering does anyone have a set of coilovers that will last in bumpy road conditions..im not planning to track the car but am looking for something with ride height adjustability that will last...any suggestions?

Bilstein coilovers are. Via preload, but that's all you need. The separate "height adjustment" is not really useful, except maybe when you want an extreme drop.

Bilstein coilovers are. Via preload, but that's all you need. The separate "height adjustment" is not really useful, except maybe when you want an extreme drop.

Unfortunately these coilovers are not available with nil stocks everywhere...........................but feel free to prove me wrong though and let me know who has them ;)

Racecomp coilovers are holding up great on my car here in Boston. Absorb bumps very well.

I don't have that many miles on them, but I had KW V3 coilovers (Racecomps are essentially rebranded KW) on my R32 and they held up great to the roads here in New England for 50,000+ miles. Stainless steel damper bodies looked pretty much the same after 4 years on my car and never had any problems with them.

I can't say for standing up to potholes and crazy bumps, but since you're in Canada, you may get salt in the winters. KW displays their salt blast testing on their website as well.

My choice is going to be KW's when I finally get suspension. I'd rather spend the extra couple hundred for some of the nicest sets. Bilsteins are WAY too overpriced, but I spoke to Unclemat in person and he has nothing but awesome things to say about the Bilsteins, and those go through New England winters I believe.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_inox_line.php

ok ive been doing some research on coilovers and after getting some pricing kw and racecomps seem to be randomly expensive and gettin too close to the price of zeals. their price seems to be climbing as the months go by so just asking what vendor sells zeals on here?

i'd go with the racecomp ones, they're a proven product on the legacy and many owners on the forum approve of them and rate them highly. i don't think the pricing is completely outrageous being what it is.

and yes, unless you can find a PSS set somewhere, it's probably the next best thing at the moment.

help me understand this coz i checked fred beans parts bilsteins are say 850 with top hats plus springs say 350 for a decent set thats1200 bucks pricies i see for kws are like 1700 ish plus camber plates like 350 so just wondering how bilsteins are more? am i missing something here?

Bilstein PSS coilovers are what people are referring to. The Bilsteins listed on FB's are just HD struts/dampers.

If you are not going to track your car, I wouldn't go with camber plates. They will make the ride more harsh, as there is no rubber isolation to the mount. The spherical bearings in camber plates will also wear out over time. I had to replace the spherical bearings in my Ground Control camber plates in my old VW after 20,000 miles and several track days due some free play in the bearing that caused clunking. When I took out the camber plates and used the original VW strut mounts, the ride was considerably less harsh.

Archived